Futura

erl1580

I dig the man's work and have read up on some interviews/bios. But i'm wondering what is it that made him a legend. Please school me as to why i have heard some call him the "godfather of graf" even though he wasn't the originator. Was it some new style or did he just hit up mad places? Seems like he also used to roll with Haring and Basqiuat whose paintings have gone for millions and have become world famous. Yet I don't really see his name mentioned alongside them. My understanding is that he left the "fine" art world to do his own thing and I probably respect him more because of that but still can't help but wonder why he doesn't get more exposure. I have heard that he is much more popular in Japan and France though.

Futura (Lenny McGurr) was a writer in the early-mid 70's, so he's been around (just celebrated his 50th), he has a style that wasn't/isn't typically your "piecing" style, although his tag has become iconic (as have his "pointman" figures, and his atoms). He has done graphic design work for other "hip" streetwear companies you may be familiar with including Recon, Supreme (he designed the box logo w/ the Kruger font), A Bathing Ape, Undercover, etc...and has his own line, Futura Laboratories. check his site: futura2000.com or futuralaboratories.com. He aslo has a book out: Futura. I don't think he neccessarily "rolled" with Haring and Basquiat, but he was a peer of thiers, so to speak, so I know they were at least familiar with each other...

BTW, I know all this, not because I'm obsessed or anything (although many out there are), but Lenny is actually a friend, and I had the honor of interviewing him for a documentary that may or may not ever come out.

yeah he didn't really "roll" with haring and basquiat. More with Lee, Zephyr, Rammelzee. From the big graffiti movement of that era, Futura broke out into the fine art world throgh shows at Tony Shafrazi's gallery and strated doing art tours with a few other members. He was hot til it all cooled off in the late 80's to mid nineties and now it's on again.

not an achievement, but definitely iconic, especially for the hipsters not neccessarily familiar with the man. As far as writing, he was one of the founding members of Soul Artists, along with Eric Haze...the name Zoo York? well that was also a crew before it was a clothing/skate label sold to Marc Echo....Shafrazi is where he got his start in galleries, but it was really Agnes B. that gave him a big break into the finer art world after he got out of the military, and his touring with The Clash.

he rolled with the clash too

Quote:

This is a message from Futura

Don't prophisize the future

I liven up the culture

Because I'm deadly as a vulture

I paint on civilization

It's environmentally wack

So presenting my attack

I'll brighten up your shack

I'm down by law

That's a fact