Workshirts

gimmegimme

Ok, last update about the Bootlegger's Reunion/Freewheeler's stuff. I have responded to all PM's with the necessary info for you to contact the guy directly. If you didn't get a response, or need the info and you aren't a pain in the ass or a window shopper, PM me and I'll hook you up.

For about $100 more, you can have this Brakeman with more period-correct style buttons. I mean why not? You're paying an arm and a leg anyhow... but then you don't get the outer left breast pocket. Damn, such a GREAT jacket.

I'm so contemplating it, but I have a long list of high-priced clothing items as it is. I totally have to prioritize - Brown's Beach jacket, Wesco Narrow's (or custom-made MP Toe's), MF Road Champs, this jacket, Bootleggers Sunset jacket, RS Dead Grass jeans and the list just goes on. I plan to at least getting my paws on half of the items on my list.

BLL-brakeSBR.jpg

compared to this one:

BOOTLEGGERS_LEATHER_BrakeMan_Coat.jpg

^ www.genco-clothing.com. It appears that the brown jacket is a collaboration between Genco and Freewheelers. I'm partial to the brown one, myself.

Thanks man. It does indeed look great. The colour is a fair bit darker with a lot more red than the regular "canyon brown" Brakeman. Very nice.

I do like the extra pocket on the regular one though....it's got a nice plaid fannel lining too....

If I found either under the tree I would be writing Santa a thank you letter!

found this cotton flannel workshirt @ goodwill this afternoon.

It is rare goodwill puts anything out that is missing buttons so I was suprised it made it on to the floor. It isn't quite as epic as a Big Mac or some of the shirts , but for the price I could not pass it up.

flanL.png

sort of janky shot, my aplogies.

flannel.png

close up of the button/material

-rF

Freewheelers polka dot wabash shirt. A cross post from the Freewheelers thread.

012small.jpg

Some shots of the portions that are fading:

right elbow area

013smallu.jpg

014small.jpg

The cuffs:

016small.jpg

015smallp.jpg

I hate when people do this, but I am gonna go ahead and do it.

This picture doesn't quite show the fading going on, but the bend of the arm is actually getting a honeycomb affect.

018small.jpg

A nice little detail I have never seen before on a shirt.

019small.jpg

A little bit closer you can see there are two selvedge ends sewn together to make the two piece sleeve.

020small.jpg

If you look at the pic that DocBlue posted of the KTH, the polka dots on the Freewheelers are much smaller and spread out, which gives the shirt a much more "blue" look. The KTH shirt looks lighter, but it is just because the polka dots are much larger.

I believe the Freewheeler is much more like this vintage shirt.

b4bd_12.JPG

Freewheelers polka dot wabash shirt. A cross post from the Freewheelers thread.

A nice little detail I have never seen before on a shirt.

019small.jpg

A little bit closer you can see there are two selvedge ends sewn together to make the two piece sleeve.

020small.jpg

now thats really nice. never paid attention to that before. and you are right , KTH doesnt stand the comparison with the vintage one.....

Hey all. I am on a hunt for a shirt I saw recently. It is a gray quilted work shirt that has 2 chest pockets and two hand pockets. It is a workshirt/CPO style shirt. It looks like this one but not in Oxford style. Has anyone seen something like this?

Epaulet is making a CPO sort of like this, with hand pockets. Not a BD collar. Can't find the pic, but check their thread on SF. Not releasing til later in the fall.

I like that quilted shirt though!

• 2 weeks later...

So I tried my hand at making a chambray utility shirt. Easy enough right? Not as easy as it looks, but with a little determination and a seam ripper I was able to make something wearable.

I used a commercially available pattern and altered it a tad bit. Made the collars not so big, obviously re-patterned the pockets, and changed the cuff style.

001medium.jpg

cigarette pocket.

002small.jpg

Utitlity pocket

003smalll.jpg

Collar. I used some vintage selvage brown fabric I found on ebay. Kinda gauzy.

004small.jpg

The placket. I used some black cat's eye corrozo buttons. I really like these buttons.

005small.jpg

Close up of the button.

006small.jpg

Cuffs. I went for a no-placket cuff kinda like the vintage big yanks.

009small.jpg

A fabric close up. On expensive fabric someone might call this "loom chatter." On cheap fabric they call it a flaw.

008small.jpg

And of course some fit pics.

015mediumb.jpg

010medium.jpg

^ Wow, and it is even long enough to tuck in!

Dude, that is why I even went on this adventure. I hate that I need to continually be tucking the sides of my shirts into my pants. I made this baby plenty long.

must spread! i hope when i start making leather shirts they will turn out nicely. (i am hand stitching it with sinew though, but i digress).

Nice work. With the double needle stitching, have you got the criscrossing between the stitches on the back side? That's the only way mine will do it (single bobbin).

Nice work. With the double needle stitching, have you got the criscrossing between the stitches on the back side? That's the only way mine will do it (single bobbin).

I don't have a double needle machine. This is all single needle lockstitch on a singer 15-91. A lot of folding and ironing of flat felled seams.

Looks great! Excellent work!

I know how tough it is to make a shirt... I've got some vintage chambray I bought last year just to do that...

I've got a new 15-91 and a 201 with a ton of extras so I think I'm going to give it a try too...

Looks great

I don't have a double needle machine. This is all single needle lockstitch on a singer 15-91. A lot of folding and ironing of flat felled seams.

My mother has a Singer 15-91, She said I was going to have to wait until she died to get it. I have to content myself with a Singer 328k in the meantime. Still a nice machine.