Workshirts

gimmegimme

From the close ups it looks indigo dyed. Looks like some blue peaking through.

J.C. Penny is getting on the bandwagon. They've rehashed some of their BigMacs in a few styles.

Interesting. Links man.

From the close ups it looks indigo dyed. Looks like some blue peaking through.

Yeah, i'm certain it is indigo dyed, just looks so dark from a distance that it seems almost black. Pretty cool shirt anyway. All the SC (Made in USA) stuff from Japan is good value. Lotsa workshirt styles in a range of interesting fabrics for around the 10000 yen mark.

Interesting. Links man.

What links? I was there and they had a table of them. What caught my eye was the reproduction flashers, and hang tags. The intention was clear. It's still mass market stuff, but more appealing than anything I've seen there in a long time.

edit: I just looked at the website, and that was totaly different. What I saw in the store was definitely vintage repro, whereas the online stuff was all pretty modern and unappealing.

What links? I was there and they had a table of them. What caught my eye was the reproduction flashers, and hang tags. The intention was clear. It's still mass market stuff, but more appealing than anything I've seen there in a long time.

edit: I just looked at the website, and that was totaly different. What I saw in the store was definitely vintage repro, whereas the online stuff was all pretty modern and unappealing.

Wait they still have JC Penneys around?

...yeah and Ford and other companies that actually make shit here....LOL!!!

Are the big mac shirts made here? If so I am all over them.

Unfortunately the days of regular Joes being able to sport made in USA exclusively have become somewhat difficult. In the absence of moral absolutes, formulas of acceptance must then be used. In my case they tend to be somewhat labyrinthine, and flexible based on observations of current economic and socio-political situations. The shirts that I saw were made in India, and currently hold a similar level of consumer acceptability in my mind to Japan (product quality is not a part of this equation and is judged on an item by item basis). The jeans were made in China, and thus are flagged with a very low level of consumer acceptability. Again this is part of my own personal formula that I am not going to hold against other folks (at least blanketly). I will say that the last criteria that I find fundamental is that if I can't feel safe traveling in their country because I wear a cross or carry a bible, then they can suck it if they want my money.

My standards hinge on a few factors, none of which include the bible/cross test :).

Hey Joe, who will buy their cheap crap when no one here has a job? It's a business model that's headed for disaster...

Oh come on. Tax cuts for the rich!!! That will solve all the problems.

Hey Joe, who will buy their cheap crap when no one here has a job? It's a business model that's headed for disaster...

I've been fighting that business model as long as I've had my own money to spend. Every week I give shit to the Snap-on dealer because more and more of their tools are foreign, and those aren't cut rate prices. Bought a DVOM lately? Fluke shut down it's manufacturing plant up the road, outsourced and RAISED prices. I scour the racks for anything made in the USA, and these days if I'm lucky I come up with socks. And buying vintage USA helps the manufacturing base zero. When you are faced with eating shit or nothing, I'll look for the more palatable shit.

• 3 weeks later...
That's a neckloop....not a chinstrap

Levi's doesn't have an 1873 sub brand actually. We just use different branding and prints on different shirts/jeans/different pieces. Same with the Sun Set Shirts. We are just a confusing ass brand.

But Tigerprawn, you are right, that shirt is really nice. It fits me perfectly. I have last years model and I love it, but the new one fits better. The sleeves are a touch shorter and the shirt is a touch shorter, but it's not too small or to slim. The small fit me great, I'm 5'7" and 145 pounds.

I wish it was indigo dyed as we have been making t-shirts and long sleeves dyed with real indigo.

• 3 weeks later...

So a few weeks ago as a punt I bought this 1940's denim material off eBay US for the large sum that is $5.00. (about 3 quid) It came from an estate sale with other items from this era with not much more info, so I was hit and miss really as to the quality.

Hoping it would be a nice optimistic thick 14oz denim, this thin but still charming selvage denim fabric arrived in the post...

IMG_1873.jpg

disappointed to the fact that it wouldn't really suit a pair of jeans, I thought it would perfect for a selvage chambray work shirt .Will prob go to one of the upstairs tailors on Savile Row with a fist full of £'s and barter around, prob start with Evisu saburo. I reckon a nice LVC chambray would cost just as much.

Could someone tell me what the 'classic chambray' design should be?

Is this even the right sort of material?

Would appreciate any suggestions as to design etc..

For now I am looking at this design http://cgi.ebay.com/1950s-Vintage-HEADLIGHT-DEAD-STOCK-CHAMBRAY-WORK-SHIRT-/380324126286?pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item588d159e4e#ht_992wt_907

and this one http://cgi.ebay.com/40s-Vintage-DEAD-STOCK-HEADLIGHT-SALT-PEPPER-WORK-SHIRT-/280643839455?pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item4157ad25df#ht_936wt_907

Will Update as it happens.

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

Next to deadstock 60's denim

how much yardage is there? It doesn't look like much. You need at least 2.5yrds for a shirt

It looks like great fabric though. I would go for a pullover type shirt similar to the LVC bunkhouse shirt.