Vintage Cars

Vitamian

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i hadn't drove it in a long time because it was winter, so decided to let it loose and get the oil circulated before changing it out, took a long corner at max speed (115km/h on the speedo) rear slipped out cause it just barely started raining, and rolled off an embankment 4 times. i didn't have a seat belt on. i've taken that corner many many times in the rain at the same speed, . . i guess the physics of things change.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

The title of this thread may be misleading as i dont know shit about cars but i've found myself wanting to restore an old classic for quite awhile now.

I currently drive a 2003 Acura TL-S and I love the car but I'm now looking into something a bit more fun for the weekends.

So in the next month or two, my friend and I may start restoring an old cheap VW Karmann Ghia. My friend has extensive experience rebuilding old classics including his very own Mini so hopefully he will help out alot...

The car has minimal rusting which is very good but I'm thinking I may gut it out and completely rebuild it. I realize this is gonna cost quite a bit of money but this is going to be a semi-long-term project so we'll see how this goes...

So any other sufu members have experience restoring or modding up cars?

Here is what I would ideally want my Karmann Ghia to end up like but maybe a different exterior color:

60ghia0005a.jpg

picture279qo5.jpg

picture254xp1.jpg

picture271ju9.jpg

picture003sr5.jpg

picture257lq1.jpg

picture253xq6.jpg

picture247fv6.jpg

picture286tl9.jpg

64 Chevelle.

Frame off restoration, engine with about 20K from a friend, rebuilt trans, suspension, brakes, interior, etc.

Its fun, but it will get expensive. Basically what happens is that you keep thinking, "well as long as Im doing X I might as well buy/replace/rebuild Y. My car was like that, I never meant to take the fucking frame off of the car, but.....

So in the next month or two, my friend and I may start restoring an old cheap VW Karmann Ghia.

Ghias are pretty sick

I've always been into cars, but dont think I quite fit the "car enthusiast" type so I rarely bring it up. that said, I've never owned a car that was left stock :o

So, it seems like some people are interested in this, so here are some more.

The floorpans were somewhat rusted, so we cut out and patched up all the bad spots.

picture008wu1.jpg

picture004vv1.jpg

Next came a new interior. Different steering wheel now.

chevinterior3hy4.jpg

chevinterior2ic1.jpg

chevinterior1qy9.jpg

Sans bumpers and hood

picture288ia0.jpg

The car has minimal rusting which is very good but I'm thinking I may gut it out and completely rebuild it. I realize this is gonna cost quite a bit of money but this is going to be a semi-long-term project so we'll see how this goes...

So any other sufu members have experience restoring or modding up cars?

Findmybetrhaf,

One thing that Id personally rec is that you NOT strip the entire car down and start to rebuild it right away. Ive seen too many (one of them was my own) cars that get stripped down, never built, and eventually sold at a loss or parted out.

Drive it for a while, enjoy the car, DO RESEARCH, buy parts, do small upgrades maybe. Just my 2cents....

This thread deserves some recognition, I'm interested to see your friends mini and your ghia.

I own a 1990 Racing Green, not quite a classic but it's the same age as me.

IMG_6717.jpg

That's mine, had her since the start of this year.

n612302413_897965_8364.jpg

heres my coworker's 1960 Morris mini that he restored.

he actually posts on here once in awhile under "ilovespaz"

So, it seems like some people are interested in this, so here are some more.

The floorpans were somewhat rusted, so we cut out and patched up all the bad spots.

picture008wu1.jpg

picture004vv1.jpg

Next came a new interior. Different steering wheel now.

chevinterior3hy4.jpg

chevinterior2ic1.jpg

chevinterior1qy9.jpg

Sans bumpers and hood

picture288ia0.jpg

Findmybetrhaf,

One thing that Id personally rec is that you NOT strip the entire car down and start to rebuild it right away. Ive seen too many (one of them was my own) cars that get stripped down, never built, and eventually sold at a loss or parted out.

Drive it for a while, enjoy the car, DO RESEARCH, buy parts, do small upgrades maybe. Just my 2cents....

yeah i soon realized that when i started relly looking into what it takes to strip the car out.

im thinkin the first thing im gonna do is just fix up the body. my friend does the metal work so he would help me with this. after that, i'll keep the interior as is, and upgrade bits at a time.

my neighbor growing uphad two 69 camaro's that he worked on for like 10 years straight. before i moved away, he let me drive it and it was amazing.

peep the homie's 6-4:

CXgRovNo51o

fuck, i miss living in vegas.

fixxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxed...

Waste of time/money/etc., but to each their own I guess. This shit is HELL on the frame and the spot where the body and the frame connect (at the back, near the rear windows) due to B-body cars having such long quarter panels.

I remember when I was taking a metal working class and this guy that was into low riders told me I should take the V8 out of my Monte SS, put in a 4 cylinder and then hydros, fucking ridiculous.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest RyanSipat

If you ever do get one though, you should get a tii. I've daily driven mine since my junior year in highschool (2006) and has never left me stranded (cept this one time where my linkage got jammed, my fault for slamming it into 5th.)

yeah i would definitely go that route. i almost bought a squarelight one when i was in high school but the guy just wanted way too much and i ended up with a benz 190, which is just as fun/easy to work on.

looks like you've done an amazing job with those. more interior/side shots?