FUCT

soundune

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dunno the full story, but erik brunetti has been running it since the mid-90's before he went bi-polar. he obviously is not a fan of shepard fairey. see below, from the fuct.com website

Sept. 24, 2005

When I heard Shepard Fairey was having another show at the Merry Karnowsky Gallery I felt my stomach turn. Are you a revolutionary, Mr. Fairey? Judging by your Zapatistas, women in chadors, and punk rock icons I'd make the assumption you were. Then again, rebellion doesn't happen under the guise of multi-million dollar clothing companies. Nor is there any honor in having legions of kids wheat-paste your images for you, but I bet it's nice to keep your hands clean. Fairey's subjects acted out of desperation to become heroes and icons; buy into them, not the Obey Propaganda machine.

In addition...I will be posting images of all the graphic ideas Mr. Fairey, has (in my opinion) robbed me of over the years...then you can judge for yourselves.

Edited by frogeyes on Nov 12, 2005 at 01:51 AM

• 5 months later...

RE:

osted: Nov 12, 2005 02:12 PM msg. 10 of 15

Dude is a hater. Panties mad twisted. Plain and simple.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For over 12 years, Fuct stayed true to itself and those who bought it. The company went through many stages of the game. They have never given a fuck. You don't find many companies today with the same roots and backgrounds. Erik isn't a hater, he is someone who has spent his whole life creating art and staying true to what he does. For him a comment like yours are nothing new.

Edited by Vegas on May 12, 2006 at 11:43 AM

Edited by Vegas on May 12, 2006 at 11:44 AM

thanks erik.

If you've lost your faith in superfuture, Oh the end won't be long

Because if it's gone for you then I too may lose it, And that would be wrong

I've tried so hard to keep myself from falling

Back into my bad old ways

And it chars my heart to always hear you calling

Calling for the good old days

Because there were no good old days

These are the good old days

There is a good selection of Fuct T's on Krudmart. I am always a sucker for the Keith Richards, "To Tough to Die" Tee. Incidentally he fell out of a coconut tree in Fiji after the NZ concert, flew back here and has been in hospital untill last week, had brain surgery etc....... truly is to tough to die.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y278/andewhall/

ERIK BRUNETTI IS TURNING 39

'FUCT' Founder Apparently Is Still Alive

Fear & Loathing in Los Angeles: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the Streetwear Industry

In the book "UNTITLED": The Untold Street Wear Stories, Brunetti refers to "FearandLoathing in Los Angeles" as "a successful experiment in subversive street wear design," a guerrilla style of designing that

Brunetti championed and publicized throughout his career.

Erik Brunetti, whose life and art, obscure and controversial designs, make him one of the principal symbols of the streetwear industry counter-culture, has not shot and killed himself yesterday at his downtown Los Angeles loft.

Brunetti, 39, is celebrated as a practitioner of an outraged form of personal design, offering off-beat ideas and observations in a style that is wildly and vividly his own and that brought him cult-like status and widespread recognition over the years. His t-shirt designs depicting political and social ideas from a working-class/punk rock perspective are regarded as groundbreaking among designers and other current streetwear labels in their irreverence and often angry insights. Among those for which he is famed are his "Planet Of The

Apes" prints. Responsible for introducing to the world the fascination of the monkey on a T-shirt -- first appearing with the 1993 World Industries skateboard pieces, and shortly after in 1994 with the "Apes 2004: Crack Generation" t-shirt graphic during the time FUCT and X-Large operated the X-FUCT store on Beverly Blvd -- Brunetti's FUCT brand has since been widely imitated by apparel companies, big and small, from Los Angeles to New York to Tokyo.

Brunetti, often seen wearing sunglasses and a baseball cap and with a cigarette dangling from his lips, shows up frequently at the Little Joy Cocktail Lounge in Echo Park, the legendary "local-only" dive-bar. Part of what created his image of outlaw independence and defiance of norms and conventions is his claim to intimate familiarity with a variety of drugs and mind altering experiences. "I like to advocate drugs, alcohol, shotguns and insanity. . . they've always worked for me," he says.

Brunetti is known for a style that he describes as "subversive". It is based on the idea that authenticity is the driving force behind FUCT's ever-growing commercial success. "Political correctness, playing it safe and downright mediocre design stemming from weak references are the main reasons that the streetwear world has been so out-of-touch for so long," Brunetti told interviewers in a characteristic pronouncement on the industry. "You can't be objective about Nigo," he says. "How can you be objective about Shepard Fairey?"</b]

They still cannot explain their coming to being, and are at a loss to explain why they should not cease to exist.

"Far from being any kind of revolutionary dream, streetwear has become for most nothing more than an addiction to choice: having the power to define ourselves by the things we buy as we move through the great shopping mall of life."

So, how can these "five-second" celebrities wield such authority in our culture that they can out-sell the true pioneers of this very industry? "The puzzle for us in the West is our confusion/fascination by such

false authority." Brunetti explains. "The way to make a million is to start a religion," he gently suggests as he takes a sip of coffee. "The cult of celebrity, hence the clothing designer turned Art-Star, is most interesting because of what it says about our view of authority and freedom. Freedom is for some, like Norwegian's death-metal band Gorogoth's lead singer, Satan. For the rest of us postmodernist consumers, freedom is by default the power to buy as many Nike Air Force One's as we please. And of course get an over-priced haircut at a trendy salon, once in a while."

ERIK BRUNETTI IS TURNING 39

'FUCT' Founder Apparently Is Still Alive

Fear & Loathing in Los Angeles: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the Streetwear Industry

In the book "UNTITLED": The Untold Streetwear Stories, Brunetti refers to "Fear and Loathing in Los Angeles" as "a successful experiment in subversive streetwear design," a guerrilla style of designing that

Brunetti championed and publicized throughout his career.

Erik Brunetti, whose life and art, obscure and controversial designs, make him one of the principal symbols of the streetwear industry counter-culture, has not shot and killed himself yesterday at his downtown Los Angeles loft.

Brunetti, 39, is celebrated as a practitioner of an outraged form of personal design, offering off-beat ideas and observations in a style that is wildly and vividly his own and that brought him cult-like status and widespread recognition over the years. His t-shirt designs depicting political and social ideas from a working-class/punk rock perspective are regarded as groundbreaking among designers and other current streetwear labels in their irreverence and often angry insights. Among those for which he is famed are his "Planet Of The

Apes" prints. Responsible for introducing to the world the fascination of the monkey on a T-shirt -- first appearing with the 1993 World Industries skateboard pieces, and shortly after in 1994 with the "Apes 2004: Crack Generation" t-shirt graphic during the time FUCT and X-Large operated the X-FUCT store on Beverly Blvd -- Brunetti's FUCT brand has since been widely imitated by apparel companies, big and small, from Los Angeles to New York to Tokyo.

Brunetti, often seen wearing sunglasses and a baseball cap and with a cigarette dangling from his lips, shows up frequently at the Little Joy Cocktail Lounge in Echo Park, the legendary "local-only" dive-bar. Part of what created his image of outlaw independence and defiance of norms and conventions is his claim to intimate familiarity with a variety of drugs and mind altering experiences. "I like to advocate drugs, alcohol, shotguns and insanity. . . they've always worked for me," he says.

Brunetti is known for a style that he describes as "subversive". It is based on the idea that authenticity is the driving force behind FUCT's ever-growing commercial success. "Political correctness, playing it safe and downright mediocre design stemming from weak references are the main reasons that the streetwear world has been so out-of-touch for so long," Brunetti told interviewers in a characteristic pronouncement on the industry. "You can't be objective about Nigo," he says. "How can you be objective about Shepard Fairey?"

They still cannot explain their coming to being, and are at a loss to explain why they should not cease to exist.

"Far from being any kind of revolutionary dream, streetwear has become for most nothing more than an addiction to choice: having the power to define ourselves by the things we buy as we move through the great shopping mall of life."

So, how can these "five-second" celebrities wield such authority in our culture that they can out-sell the true pioneers of this very industry? "The puzzle for us in the West is our confusion/fascination by such

false authority." Brunetti explains. "The way to make a million is to start a religion," he gently suggests as he takes a sip of coffee. "The cult of celebrity, hence the clothing designer turned Art-Star, is most interesting because of what it says about our view of authority and freedom. Freedom is for some, like Norwegian's death-metal band Gorogoth's lead singer, Satan. For the rest of us postmodernist consumers, freedom is by default the power to buy as many Nike Air Force One's as we please. And of course get an over-priced haircut at a trendy salon, once in a while

i think youre right, tho i may be close.

minya just isnt rashing like he used to....

If you've lost your faith in superfuture, Oh the end won't be long

Because if it's gone for you then I too may lose it, And that would be wrong

I've tried so hard to keep myself from falling

Back into my bad old ways

And it chars my heart to always hear you calling

Calling for the good old days

Because there were no good old days

These are the good old days

Nigo and Frank(Shep) know that Erik and Rick are OG's. englandmj7, if you could only spend a day with either, you would see that they aren't as you say "washed up". Then you would see the impact they have had on street art aswell as the streetwear world.

• 1 month later...
Guest ARCANGELO
Erick is definitely large and in charge with FUCT right now...!!!

Fuct never died, and some crazy things bubblin under the surface..

thehundreds is huge.

www.thehundreds.com

Yes. I have seen some pieces from the new collection. My friend is the art editor at Paper Magazine here in NY and they received some samples last week for the fall review. I was very impressed. Definitely in charge.