Sewing machines for denim repairs?

tmadd

Its getting to the point where I need to be able to do my own repairs, but I have no idea what are the baseline requirements for being able to do denim repair-work. I would also be interested in knowing about machines that are in the "more than the bare necessities" category if they introduce added functionality, durability, flexibility etc. My guess is that I will be finding something used either via ebay or craigslist, but if there are new options out there that are good and cost effective, they might be worth looking into as well. Though I would prefer to stay cost effective, this is less of a "starters sewing machine" thread than a "what is the appropriate tool for denim repairs".

I think a little work with the google answered my own question: Singer 201 seems to have everything I could ever want.

• 3 years later...

If any of you guys are into vintage sewing machines as I am, I had trouble finding a place that could answer a lot of questions I had about the different models I owned and wanted to own.

So I just made a new forum that's just for vintage sewing machines, industrial (what I'm into) and domestic (what I started with).

It's still new, but once the word gets out I think it could turn into a great resource for those of use into the old machines.

If you want to check it out it's www.vintagesewingforum.com

feel free to delete this post if it's out of context...

If any of you guys are into vintage sewing machines as I am, I had trouble finding a place that could answer a lot of questions I had about the different models I owned and wanted to own.

So I just made a new forum that's just for vintage sewing machines, industrial (what I'm into) and domestic (what I started with).

It's still new, but once the word gets out I think it could turn into a great resource for those of use into the old machines.

If you want to check it out it's www.vintagesewingforum.com

feel free to delete this post if it's out of context...

Nice! I'm going to join it right now!

Joining up. I just picked up an awesome Singer 15-91 today. Been waiting for a nice one to come up locally. My wife doesn't want an industrial machine out and about, even though they have their own intense beauty and coolness. As a compromise, the 15-91 seems to be one tough ass little beast.

Joining up. I just picked up an awesome Singer 15-91 today. Been waiting for a nice one to come up locally. My wife doesn't want an industrial machine out and about, even though they have their own intense beauty and coolness. As a compromise, the 15-91 seems to be one tough ass little beast.

I can totally relate! I have five industrials with tables in the basement and a handful of industrial heads laying around. I also have a Singer 31-15 industrial with a treadle base in our sunroom but that one sort of looks decorative.

Ha, if I had the room to fill, it wouldn't matter what she thinks.

It's for the best. If she let me, I would run the risk of over-reaching my limits. I am really a rank beginner. I've seen your work in the home-made thread, and guys like happy hooligan are selling darners in the market.....lol I'm nowhere near. The 15-91 is well-matched here :)

thanks for joining. The 15-91 really for the money and what you can do with it is the absolute best. I have two for sale on my local craigslist as I'm keeping my 201 (almost the 15-91) but easier to thread on the bobbin and really don't need that many type machines.

I find them when I'm out and just can't pass them up. It's a disease.

I'm in the middle of some stuff but I'll grab some photos later. It's a nice package. 1936 unit with a burl table and knee switch...buttonholer, zigzagger, a bunch of simanco stuff all in the boxes. The guy had a bunch of lookers with intent to resell and he booted em. First thing he said to me was, "If you want to flip it, just turn around and go." :laugh2: