J. Crew's Liquor Store

the_state

Hey so J. Crew opened up a boutique in Tribeca today. They carry Alden shoes, vintage watches (Rolex, Carrera), some higher quality J Crew pieces that aren't sold in normal stores/catalogues, and some other interesting stuff. It's kinda like a watered down/less steezy but less expensive Steven Alan. I wouldn't say it's worth going out of your way for, but if you're in Tribeca, it's worth popping into. It's set up like an old bar.

link

http://pipeline.refinery29.com/just_opened/bar_rags_j_crews_liqour_store.php

any more info on the prices? standard button down shirt for what? $100?

Same prices on their website: basic shirts are $60, shirts with thomas mason fabrics are $150.

They've got a yellow jacket in there that I'm going to hunt down. The special globetrotter luggage is also pretty cool, but is priced much higher than the regular stuff.

Edit: More pictures at ACL. http://acontinuouslean.com/2008/08/21/a-more-detailed-look-at-the-j-crew-liquor-store/

from a continuous lean

A More Detailed Look at The J. Crew Liquor Store

Jump to Comments

It’s official, the new J. Crew is open and it has generated lots of buzz. I thought I would follow up my previous post with some better images of the space for all of the people who live outside of NYC and can’t just pop in to check everything out first hand. All photos are courtesy of J. Crew and the talented photographer Brian Berman.

x5pgn4.jpg

xlm7bp.jpg

jg78rp.jpg

ie2v5h.jpg

6ym7ab.jpg

15p4f4h.jpg

2pr60q8.jpg

2h6bw4n.jpg

mviz51.jpg

qn0aw9.jpg

alnaf4.jpg

from kempt

jcrew1_crop.jpg

jcrew2_crop.jpg

jcrew4_crop.jpg

jcrew3_crop.jpg

Our friends at UrbanDaddy gave us an inside peek at the latest J. Crew outpost in Tribeca, and it’s pretty impressive. Lower Manhattan can be a tough locale, especially for national brands, so for this spot they’ve approached things more like a boutique, flooding the store with collaborations, cross-branding, and plain old outside labels.

We’re big fans of Middleborough MA’s Alden Shoes, so it’s nice to see them outside of the New England. As for the collaboration, the store has trunks from Globetrotter (which you may have heard about), Red Wing boots, and a Navy Mackintosh Coat for the rainy season. As an even more offbeat pick, the store has partnered with the used-book institution The Strand for an upscale version of their classic tote bag, a well-stocked bookshelf tucked away in the Tribeca location, and a club tie designed exclusively for the store.

It’s a good move for the brand, and not just because we love a good hardcover. The problem facing large scale brands like J.Crew isn’t necessarily a lack of inspiration, but a lack of individuality. How exciting can a store be when it’s no different from hundreds of others scattered throughout the country? By taking the boutique approach, they get to break away from the national line a little bit, and pull in a few favored brands while they’re at it.

Think of it as making new friends.

from racked

2783742797_75561a1743_o.jpg

2784595938_8eac40a381_o.jpg

2784595804_0600743dfd_o.jpg

2784595962_61a452c426_o.jpg

2783742937_19ebffe7f4_o.jpg

2784596268_8aed8f5153_o.jpg

2784595744_b350fea267_o.jpg

2783742861_d14b6da2ee_o.jpg

2783742705_ffdb636dd7_o.jpg

2784596228_e645faafdd_o.jpg

2783742759_7b2492e56b_o.jpg

2784596066_e4721f8213_o.jpg

2783742731_76147595d5_o.jpg

2783742387_624f3edf60_o.jpg

The corner of West Broadway and N Moore Street in Tribeca was buzzing this morning as a crowd of the most fashiony and styled males we've ever seen descended upon J.Crew's new men's store. J.Crew and co. have kept vestiges of the space's former inhabitant, Liquor Store Bar, intact: the old wooden bar is there (with salespeople behind it to ring up your purchases), the neon sign hanging outside remains, and when you call the place up, they answer "Liquor Store." They've also scattered boozy reminders, like glass tumblers filled with rolled up ties and bottles of Campari, around the store to further remind you of its predecessor.

The place is a prep-loving, murse-toting man's dream: aside from everyday basics like socks, khaki's, jackets, denim and sweaters, there's limited-edition merchandise galore, from the Thomas Mason for J.Crew button downs hanging at the rear of the space to the snazzy Alden shoes laid out next to cardigans and stacks of Smiths records. The crowd reflected this selection: We spotted one well-dressed gentlemen cradling a tiny dog in his arm as he dove into a stack of khakis, and many others milling about with Sartorialist-endorsed rolled-up pants paired with loafers. Clearly, J.Crew knows how to play to their audience.

am i the only one who thinks this is horrible? j crew already has a fucking store on mercer and greene. over the past 10 or so years i've lived in tribeca all i've seen is shit that can't fit in soho plopped in tribeca... within the next decade tribeca will be close to as crucial to new york shopping as soho... it's a shame. sure, the store concept is cool, but the store is unnecessary. j crew has a store 7 blocks away, and not all of tribeca was begging for a preppy, overpriced store.

rant over

i heard that the lead designer for Jah Cru is cozy with Mr. Steven Alan hisself

it seems the brands are influencing each other (maybe too much)

they laugh alike they walk alike at times they even talk alike

that would make sense, given its recent turn around in design. J. Crew is one of the few mall brands to realize that APC, Steven Alan, et al are essentially putting out the same stuff at a higher price point and are still attracting crowds.

Gap, despite the much hyped arrival of Patrick Robinson, has not experienced a similar revival

^ it is funny, because i had heard that bit of gossip from a philadelphia boutique that formerly stocked S.A. but recently stopped due to what she perceived as a dilution of the SA line due to his close association with the man behind JC

while JC seems to be profiting from the relationship with SA, the reverse does not seem to be true (i don't really know that SA sales have been affected but perceptions seem to be changing)

am i the only one who thinks this is horrible? j crew already has a fucking store on mercer and greene. over the past 10 or so years i've lived in tribeca all i've seen is shit that can't fit in soho plopped in tribeca... within the next decade tribeca will be close to as crucial to new york shopping as soho... it's a shame. sure, the store concept is cool, but the store is unnecessary. j crew has a store 7 blocks away, and not all of tribeca was begging for a preppy, overpriced store.

rant over

Yeah your right, lets burn that motherfucker to the ground!

rant over

it seems like you only have a problem with its address... it would be fine if it wasn't in your neighborhood, right?

rant over

yeah you're the only one. stop complaining you rich ass nigga. you live in tribeca? buy your own store. or complain about an abundance of overpriced restaurants. tribeca isn't really a shopping mecca. this is, what, one of 3-4 decent men's stores? it's well executed for what it is, get off the rag.