iconic denim photos

Bona Drag

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sansome1877 said:

I always assumed that the Levi triple pleat that seems to disappear in the 1880’s was never really used again, but it clearly was on the page before this one….wonder who made it?

If you're talking about Talon's post (from Pinterest) on the previous page, that chap in the triple pleat? - that's from the lvc lookbook/photo shoot from the (l think) first run of that jacket (hey check my one in the Superdenim sales Thread). It's so 'aged' looking that it could pass muster.

The second pic- I zoomed in and there are rivets under closer inspection- pretty sure this dude is wearing a 1800’s triple pleat Levi jacket- the collar is correct if you zoom up, crazy, forget looking at 1800’s photos- I think this is the one.

6 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

What about the lovechild of Sean Penn and Gary Oldman in the 3rd photo? Is he an LVC model, a late 19th century futurist or a mid-20th century dude in an old jacket?

Looks more like a Robert Deniro and Jean Reno cross breed to me 🤣

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

@Alec Leamas

theres an entire photoshoot of these guys. I think it’s taken from Life? Black Ivy will probably have better references. 

IMG_6680.jpeg

Ahh that's amazing, I did not know that, by the looks of it it's all gold!

58 minutes ago, chicote said:

@lobster_for_lunch I wonder if that’s from the set of my beautiful launderette, one of my favorite movies of all time!!

Never heard about this film. Will give a try, thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

@yung_flynn One of my fav denim films. Yes those are 1950s Levis 501xx and many of the police officers in the film  wear them too!

There's a great moment where he shows us how to put a type 2 on in the coolest of ways, if l had more tech know-how l'd post it here. 

1 hour ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

This one?

Thanks, now I don't have to re-watch the film. I like Malick's films in general, but it takes too long to watch, and my ability to concentrate has diminished a lot with age. I'm not talking about joints mobility - if I try to put on a jacket like that, I'll end up in the ambulance.

14 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

One of my fav denim films.

Yeah, Badlands is one of the few films that I distinctly remember the denim. Cruising of all things is another (also great leather jacket and engineer boot inspo). Although, I still have yet to see Rebel Without a Cause despite loving other Nicholas Ray films.

Cruising (1980)

I Saw the Signs - "Cruising" for Prime Beef Cuts - Blog - The Film  Experience

Cruising - Publicity still of Al Pacino

Cruising (William Friedkin, 1980) | Al pacino, Cruise, Williams

8 x 12 Original Photo Al Pacino in Cruising 1980 Gay crime thriller | eBay

There was a 'denim in movies' themed thread somewhere, actually there's probably more than one buried in the pages here.

I think Badlands along with Hud and The Misfits are the best Old top denim movies (maybe throw in the Outsiders as a sub)

Edited by Dr_Heech

11 hours ago, Talan said:

I'm not talking about joints mobility - if I try to put on a jacket like that, I'll end up in the ambulance.

Fun fact, Martin Sheen's left arm was broken at his birth, causing less mobility in his arm and thus forced him to put on jackets in a certain way.

On 4/4/2024 at 1:33 PM, Ciabatta said:

Paris, Texas is a top 5 film for me. 

760570-28308-clp-720.jpeg

PTX06cWWS.jpeg

Just watched this for the first time thanks to your post here, and wow what a movie. Gonna be thinking about it for a while now.

On 4/7/2024 at 3:41 AM, rbeck said:

Just watched this for the first time thanks to your post here, and wow what a movie. Gonna be thinking about it for a while now.

The Ry Cooder soundtrack stands up very well as an album, I think, and the dialogue snippets really hold it together.