supermeatheads

kunk75

Lookin good Kunk

I think the lighting in your leaner pics also is playing with your perceived size ( in your pics).

You had far more shadow in your first pics, therfore making you look even bigger, and there seems to be a lot of flash and not as much shadow in your second pics.

You look like you leaned out well, you have a much better shape

don't worry, kunk is playing with his hormone levels again via his friendly neighborhood street pharmacist and will be big AND lean again.

At least you're actually at an age where it's "safe" to do it, some guys I've talked to have been taking phs at 18 and have only been lifting and dieting serious for a year, they're about to get on AAS too. People's stupidity never amazes me.

I have not weight lifted in a good 6 months but instead have been doing judo. Simply from doing judo, my triceps are becoming next level and my upper back is as strong as ever. I have gained weight and am now at ~190 lbs and 6' 1" . Im looking fuller and better than when I was in the gym. Go figure. All on a shitty diet of 50% rice, 20% fish and 20% fried food and 10% white bread.

I have not weight lifted in a good 6 months but instead have been doing judo. Simply from doing judo, my triceps are becoming next level and my upper back is as strong as ever. I have gained weight and am now at ~190 lbs and 6' 1" . Im looking fuller and better than when I was in the gym. Go figure. All on a shitty diet of 50% rice, 20% fish and 20% fried food and 10% white bread.

You definitely didnt put on muscle mass because of the switch, strength maybe. Looking fuller definitely due to the massive amount of carbs, but getting huge/next level triceps simply doesn't happen solely from doing martial arts with no weights. Your back will get stronger due to grappling ect, that makes complete sense.

Your diet is like %60 carbs, and %20 fat, its no wonder you gained weight

yo billy b, is english your native language? i'm pretty sure the saying is "never ceases to amaze me"

that's not the saying if that's not what he's trying to say...

it seems like he was saying people being stupid has ceased to amaze him, in which case what he said was fine.

just saying.

Why could he not have put on muscle mass? He's lifting heavy weight but just in a different way, what do you think Judo entails?

Hes not lifting heavy weight in judo. Aside from the occasional grappling, judo is based on using an opponents own weight against him, he isnt really lifting or throwing around people, just shifting their balance. I took aikido, kickboxing and karate, and I have freinds who took judo and kenpo. You are not lifting heavy in any of those martial arts period. Its repetitive light weight movements for almost %95 of your training, unless you count ground game

He even said he looks " fuller" , and thats due to the massive amount of carbs he is intaking. If you check out his dietary info, its almost all fat and carbs. You dont go from lifting heavy in the gym to martial arts and start gaining weight, it just doesn't work that way. You will always get smaller and leaner, unless you drastically change your diet

Strength may get better, especially his core and back, but you dont gain mass by doing martial arts. He may have put on a very small amount of muscle due to a completely new routine, but he sure as hell wont bulk because of it

Im not saying his shape isnt changing for the better, it probably is, and maybe he does look better then when he was training. But if that's the case, he wasn't training right, eating right, or going at it hard enough IMO. No hate intended, but if the results from such a cardio intensive sport anre changing him that quickly, ( good for him) then his previous routine was crap

I've done Judo, I do BJJ. You're using strength and in Judo especially you're still lifting heavy weights and using strength in order to unbalance your opponent, especially as a beginner. Sorry, but your experience in Aikido, kickboxing and Karate are irrelevant to knowing what a grappling/throwing sport is like on your body. Judo isn't about using your opponents own weight against him, it's about unbalancing him so you can throw him and many of these throws require using a great deal of strength. Especially against a resisting, trained opponent.

I've done Judo, I do BJJ. You're using strength and in Judo especially you're still lifting heavy weights and using strength in order to unbalance your opponent, especially as a beginner. Sorry, but your experience in Aikido, kickboxing and Karate are irrelevant to knowing what a grappling/throwing sport is like on your body. Judo isn't about using your opponents own weight against him, it's about unbalancing him so you can throw him and many of these throws require using a great deal of strength. Especially against a resisting, trained opponent.

Fair enough, but that still doesn't create bulk, that's the whole argument here. I never claimed you dont need to be strong to throw someone, but his previous training was way off if he claims he is getting huge by doing judo. As I said previously, strength yes, but not size.

People delve into martial arts for better cardio, core and joint/tendon strength, leanness ect, not to become huge

There is no way you can compare a power lifters strength for example, to someone in judo. In brute force and size, the power lifter will always be far bigger

I think you misread my post, I agree with you and said he would gain strength, but he claims he has bulked by doing judo, and that's coming from someone who was in the gym previously, and that tells me something is off. Whether it was his huge change in diet or a poorly made routine is up for debate.

A rookie who has never worked out before ect may get slightly bigger by doing that sport, but he wont bulk up. Now you are arguing with me about simple semantics , how much power it takes to throw someone, or whether I think you need to be strong to throw someone or not, and I think that misses the whole argument here.

On a side note its nice to see someone else involved in martial arts. I am curious

What made you stop doing judo and make the switch to JuJitsu?

Against a trained opponent of similar weight, Judo becomes a match of strength. My sensei was number 2 in asia in his prime and competed internationally. Now in his 40's, he is still stronger than probably 99% of people in japan. The brute strength he can use when technique alone will not cut it is amazing. There is debate in the judo community as to whether this new style of judo is good or not. That being said, sometimes it is just about technique. During randori, a girl close to half my weight can easily counter me and get me on the mat in a heartbeat. Half of our training is on the mats grappling to which it is even more strength and less technique.

Probably only half of my gained weight is muscle mass. Ive always been on the low side of body fat so I dont mind the body fat filling in spots where you dont have many muscles such as the ribs etc.

I will agree my previous routine was not as good as it could have been. In high school, I was the strongest kid on the baseball team. Baseball and wrestling worked out together in the off-season and the only kid stronger than me was this beast of a man who had one of the most ripped backs I have ever seen. I took a break from weight training for awhile and finally got back into a year and a half or so ago. I was not in tip top shape when I moved here to japan. Hell my pecs still look a bit like a french school boys pecs.

I am not proud of my diet either. I need to be eating more fish and other proteins and less crap. Its summer so veggies are a plenty for cheap so I have been getting my veggie fill that I was missing my first couple of months here.

Congrats to you for training in a martial art, it really does help make people better IMO

I have the utmost respect for people who find an art they like and stick with it. It makes you a much more well rounded and disciplined person, and the effect it has on concentration and the mind in general is unreal

Fair enough, but that still doesn't create bulk, that's the whole argument here. I never claimed you dont need to be strong to throw someone, but his previous training was way off if he claims he is getting huge by doing judo. As I said previously, strength yes, but not size.

People delve into martial arts for better cardio, core and joint/tendon strength, leanness ect, not to become huge

There is no way you can compare a power lifters strength for example, to someone in judo. In brute force and size, the power lifter will always be far bigger

I think you misread my post, I agree with you and said he would gain strength, but he claims he has bulked by doing judo, and that's coming from someone who was in the gym previously, and that tells me something is off. Whether it was his huge change in diet or a poorly made routine is up for debate.

A rookie who has never worked out before ect may get slightly bigger by doing that sport, but he wont bulk up. Now you are arguing with me about simple semantics , how much power it takes to throw someone, or whether I think you need to be strong to throw someone or not, and I think that misses the whole argument here.

On a side note its nice to see someone else involved in martial arts. I am curious

What made you stop doing judo and make the switch to JuJitsu?

"You definitely didnt put on muscle mass because of the switch"

I agree that lifting weights is better to gain strength and mass but you flat out said he DEFINITELY didn't put on mass which is ridiculous to say, because for one thing it implies that putting on mass with Judo is impossible. Does it mean his weights routine was lacking? Possibly, maybe he had a good routine before hand and was making gains but that doesn't preclude him from continuing to make gains from training Judo regularly and HARD, I don't know.

As far as me stoping Judo for BJJ, actually i've been training BJJ on and off now for about 7 years, the Judo has just been the occasional class when I could fit it in around everything else. One reason why I prefer BJJ to Judo is that I don't have the explosive strength neccesary to be competitive against Judoka of my weight - another reason why I believe you can gain strength and mass from Judo.

"You definitely didnt put on muscle mass because of the switch"

I agree that lifting weights is better to gain strength and mass but you flat out said he DEFINITELY didn't put on mass which is ridiculous to say, because for one thing it implies that putting on mass with Judo is impossible. Does it mean his weights routine was lacking? Possibly, maybe he had a good routine before hand and was making gains but that doesn't preclude him from continuing to make gains from training Judo regularly and HARD, I don't know.

As far as me stoping Judo for BJJ, actually i've been training BJJ on and off now for about 7 years, the Judo has just been the occasional class when I could fit it in around everything else. One reason why I prefer BJJ to Judo is that I don't have the explosive strength neccesary to be competitive against Judoka of my weight - another reason why I believe you can gain strength and mass from Judo.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but he claimed his triceps became " next level" and that he gained more weight doing judo then when training. I am not crapping on martial arts or claiming a body builder could take on a judo master ( the bb would get his ass handed to him), I flat out said his large mass gain wasn't from just the judo as he was stating, which I can almost gaurnetee is the correct assumption.

That is awesome that your taking jujitsu. You must work a lot on your 'shooting", so that would be why you are getting your explosive strength

Are there any interesting techniques you do in the gym to help with that? I know of some myself, but I would be interested to hear it from someone who is currently involved in the sport of jujitsu

Not to beat a dead horse here, but he claimed his triceps became " next level" and that he gained more weight doing judo then when training. I am not crapping on martial arts or claiming a body builder could take on a judo master ( the bb would get his ass handed to him), I flat out said his large mass gain wasn't from just the judo as he was stating, which I can almost gaurnetee is the correct assumption.

That is awesome that your taking jujitsu. You must work a lot on your 'shooting", so that would be why you are getting your explosive strength

Are there any interesting techniques you do in the gym to help with that? I know of some myself, but I would be interested to hear it from someone who is currently involved in the sport of jujitsu

What I took issue with was the assertion that he DEFINITELY didn't put mass on with Judo, if someone had the perfect routine pre-Judo then they shouldn't be gaining mass but he already said he didn't so gaining mass from Judo is perfectly possible.

And actually, I said I DON'T have explosive strength so I can't help with the techs i'm afraid, lol. Although one suggestion is duck walks.

To the banned idiot, make a new username (we all know you will anyway) and come and explain why it's impossible to gain mass from Judo. I'd love to hear an explanation as to why you can only gain mass from lifting iron, especially when you can look at cyclists thighs to see just how ineffective anything except lifting weights is for mass gaining.

I feel small.

Dont worry man your only like what, 2 in that pic. Your best years of gains are still ahead of you:D

Cutup...hows your gains coming along?

Quite well. I have been leaning out and trying to shape this summer, and it has been coming along.

It gets hard for me sometimes to pass up ordering/eating crap like pizza ect, but I am sticking with it. My appetite is insane ( as well as my metabolism) so that makes me friggin druel anytime I smell a high carb meal

My separation between muscle groups has been good though, especially my front chest and shoulders. I have been doing inclined dips with high reps to try and get some more separation between my front delts and chest, and it appears to be working.

Likewise with my quads and trying to separate the 2 teardrops, albeit it hasnt been coming along as well as my chest

Finally pulled the trigger on some All They Whey cinnamon bun flavour. I will deal with the customs charges when they come, but $72.00 for 10 pounds of amazing tasting protein is fucking hard to turn down. I know the taste shouldn't matter, but having a garbage tasting protein makes me make excuses to not take it, lol. Now I just need to tan to bring out some more definition :)

Finally pulled the trigger on some All They Whey cinnamon bun flavour. I will deal with the customs charges when they come, but $72.00 for 10 pounds of amazing tasting protein is fucking hard to turn down. I know the taste shouldn't matter, but having a garbage tasting protein makes me make excuses to not take it, lol. Now I just need to tan to bring out some more definition :)

great choice.

40 pounds of atw protein just arrived at my doorsteps this morning :)

Please let me know what it ends up costing you, I would kill for cinnabun protein, and if its not to bad I will order like a skid load