All-Time Classic Brands

MilSpex

keysonawire is just a plagiarist:

http://www.challengingdestiny.com/reviews/patternrecognition.htm

"My God, don’t they know? This stuff is simulacra of simulacra of simulacra. A diluted tincture of Ralph Lauren, who had himself diluted the glory days of Brooks Brothers, who themselves had stepped on the product of Jermyn Street and Savile Row, flavoring their ready-to-wear with liberal lashings of polo knit and regimental stripes. But Tommy surely is the null point, the black hole. There must be some Tommy Hilfiger event horizon, beyond which it is impossible to be more derivative, more removed from the source, more devoid of soul. Or so she hopes, and doesn’t know, but suspects in her heart that this in fact is what accounts for his long ubiquity."

stop frontin'

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious as to how Orvis, Barbour, and Russell Moc's mix well with brands like WTAPS and BAPE?

They are classic brands, most definitely, just not ones that mesh well (imo) with the brands listed in MilSpex's original post.

Sadly, I think one of the few that hasn't been included yet is U.S. Army & Navy gear (if you could even call it a brand). I say sadly because the list of "classics" that mix well is so small that it doesn't leave much room to create new combinations.

All the brands I mentioned have provided inspiration of some sort for many of the brands Milspex mentioned (with BAPE as the notable exception), and certainly a slew of other Japanese labels.. Whether they (or you) know it or not is of little concern to me.

yeah coz nothing goes better than a preme tee and a pair of Dior jeans. (10)

Streetwear came from America. Dior is French.

thread's title is "All-Time Classic Brands". i'm aware in your first post you decided to narrow that to "American Brands I Know a Shit-Ton About and Am Eager to Discuss With Other People Who Wear the Same Brands"

which makes this hypothetical list just as short as the hypothetical list of "brands who did something first"

i thought id try to steer some conversation into a more global context, you know, to make the thread title less misleading

also, i'm glad i said keysonawire seemed to be a person who knew what he was talking about... only way to save face here is for keysonawire to come out and say he's william gibson

"My God, don’t they know? This stuff is simulacra of simulacra of simulacra. A diluted tincture of Ralph Lauren, who had himself diluted the glory days of Brooks Brothers, who themselves had stepped on the product of Jermyn Street and Savile Row, flavoring their ready-to-wear with liberal lashings of polo knit and regimental stripes. But Tommy surely is the null point, the black hole. There must be some Tommy Hilfiger event horizon, beyond which it is impossible to be more derivative, more removed from the source, more devoid of soul. Or so she hopes, and doesn’t know, but suspects in her heart that this in fact is what accounts for his long ubiquity."

stop frontin'

awww shit, and I can't even change my rep I handed out to him for a seemingly-articulate post :( :(

i agree with louis vuitton as stated above me ... gucci as well.

just on the luxury reappropriation tip ... which i would argue is a cornerstone of streetwear influence.

... and new era as well, just because there isn't really anything more accessible and understandable than wearing a fitted representing the city you're from.

This post proves what i've been saying to a friend of mine for ages now (he loves WTAPS, Headporter etc).....most of the best sh*t is almost totally US or Europe originated....the Far East brands mostly emulate (aka steal) and remix what we have but only rarely do they innovate anything truly new....

Think about it

stop frontin'

hahahaha goooooooooot iiiim!!

ed hardy

true religion

rock and republic

abercrombie

negged...registered 3 more accounts and negged again with each one.

Sadly, Abercrombie could have been on the actual list if they hadn't had that downmarket revitalization. I found a classic abercrombie rain slicker at a vintage shop the other day and the construction and materials were incredible. Comparable to classic burberry or aquascutum.

What are your nominations for gear brands that are all-time classics, never go out of style and can complement a lot of relatively modern classics like Supreme, WTAPS, Visvim, GoodEnough, A Bathing Ape etc?

there seems to be a contradiction here - do you want classic brands or clothing that will complement visvim / WTAPS ect?

If you mean brands that have a significant late 20th century impact at a level other than high fashion then I would agree with your choices except vans and adidas. and add from those below fred perry , converse, barbour and reluctantly calvin klein and sperry. I can't think of anyone else though I am sure there are some.. the fila brands maybe?

old abercrombie is the fucking shit.

it was, and i i like buying it back. the fit was on point and the quality was there.

as for who said north face, WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU THINKING OF?

Northface is like cheap plastic for poor people right now, shit is so garbage and paper thin not even funny. they lost there roots. all brands loose there roots, only brand that hasnt has been Ralph Lauren. They never have or never will.

Jcrew kinda lost there roots i have to say, whats up with all this washed button down shit? can i get a freshy.

so POLO will always be the number one in my opionion.

old abercrombie is the fucking shit.

it was, and i i like buying it back. the fit was on point and the quality was there.

as for who said north face, WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU THINKING OF?

Northface is like cheap plastic for poor people right now, shit is so garbage and paper thin not even funny. they lost there roots. all brands loose there roots, only brand that hasnt has been Ralph Lauren. They never have or never will.

Jcrew kinda lost there roots i have to say, whats up with all this washed button down shit? can i get a freshy.

so POLO will always be the number one in my opionion.

I don't think Abercrombie or J.Crew are classic at all. If you're looking out at a crowd of people at Time Square (or wherever) can you pick out individual Abercrombie or J. Crew piece with any sort of accuracy? I cant think of a single staple item from either company. As a matter of fact, the plagiarists argument against Tommy could be used to describe J. Crew with no question.

abercrombie definitely has the heritage of an "all time classic brand" i mean shit in the 2nd mag from march kinji is wearing an old a&f jacket in the "my dear garment" section and those guys don't fuck around.

as for ralph lauren not going downhill...quality on polo stuff these days is pretty bad! purple label is nice though.

i think most brands we're talking about (esp american ones) are making pretty shitty products these days unless they're the overseas division (champion jp?) or almost strictly for export (woolrich, alden cordovan).

Abercrombie is not a classic brand by any means. It doesnt even produce or sell what it became famous for. How can they be 'classic'. Do you even know the heritage of Abercrombie? I think you might have old and classic mixed up.

I could be wrong but I think originally, Abercrombie and Fitch even sold items that they didnt produce. It was more of a general outdoor and camping store.

Abercrombie is not a classic brand by any means. It doesnt even produce or sell what it became famous for. How can they be 'classic'. Do you even know the heritage of Abercrombie? I think you might have old and classic mixed up.

I could be wrong but I think originally, Abercrombie and Fitch even sold items that they didnt produce. It was more of a general outdoor and camping store.

You're right.

I forgot about Burberry until Halifamous mentioned it. I'm not exactly sure how they evolved over the years but even though Burberry Prorsum factories are in italy, their classic trenches are still made in England. Is anybody aware of th quality of the brand today?