c7cee389.jpg

dd0ec678.jpg

f6fc07d4.jpg

05725db0.jpg

1.jpg

10053902214.jpg

10053902222.jpg

10053902226.jpg

The whole exchange rate being fucked up = good for me.

100 yen = 1 dollar means

my rents can send me moar money!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

This is pretty bad compared to the glorious mid-60s NASA vibe I was getting from SS08. I echo the coat comment, and everything else doesn't seem too spectacular.

Looks like they're capturing the modern American working-class look (stockboy, deliveryman, mailroom grunt as opposed to factory/farm laborer). They've even thrown in some office cubicle grunt steez, right down to the ill-fitting clothes that are so common among recent college grads entering the workplace.

And I must say, they've succeeded in replicating this look, but god only knows why one would want to. I can see this being a novelty in Japan, but here in the states, we can get all this at Walmart or the Burlington Coat Factory for a fraction of the price.

I wonder what people abroad are willing to pay to look like this.

• 2 weeks later...

The theme was Harvey Pekar/American Splendor (as the "Who is Harvey Pekar?...." samples constantly reminded you during the show), so that is pretty much why everything is so "regular guy" looking at first. While a lot of it looks like thrifted stuff, but the materials and everything are of course top notch. Tons of crazy details as well; for example, a lot of the check fabrics are printed on instead of being in the weave. It made for a really crazy 3D effect.

bf4aad78.jpg

this piece was especially funny. It is made to look like "street people clothes" and has multiple layers which can be detached and worn a billion different ways.

Piece by piece the collection was really cool and a lot of fun but I don't think the themed looks would go over too well in America.

i was initially vexed as well, but using harvey pekar as a reference point makes the collection a bit more interesting on a conceptual level, american splender is one of my favorite comic book --> movie adaptations

yes, it does look rather pedestrian and unremarkable, but some of the outerwear is appreciable, and i'd consider policing the "on strike" shirt for the pop culture nerd factor

• 5 months later...

What I believe to be a bunch of pieces from this collection have just come in at OC NY. Despite the cringe worthy flicks here, they are dope. Really excellently detailed and seemingly well put together. They also have the compile line of 'basics", t's, thermals, sweaters, and some socks I contemplated dropping 40 bucks on. I tried on a beautiful chambrayish blue shirt, but at 6'3" it came up just a little bit short and tight in the shoulders. A shame.

Those who are in the NY and are inclined towards this type of shit might want to reconsider and check it out, but be warned--prices are steep.