korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

damn that sucks, the 18th is a thursday. i dont get off of work till 11 so im probably gonna miss out on the festivities, but it does sound awesome.

where is this and what time is it gonna end?

damn that sucks, the 18th is a thursday. i dont get off of work till 11 so im probably gonna miss out on the festivities, but it does sound awesome.

where is this and what time is it gonna end?

yeah, I didn't mention it the other day because I knew you'd miss out, no point in rubbing it in, haha. It's only 7-9pm, here across the street from my place. SInce it's only 2 hrs, I dizz and I will probably try to make a go at 15-20 margaritas a piece plus the food, and I already told dizz he will probably have to carry me out of the restaurant in his arms.

Hey all. I recently graduated from college and was planning on going to Korea for a few months to teach English. I have applied to a few companies to teach there but none have gotten back to me. Anyone have any experience with teaching english? Any recommendations? I haven't been there since the 4th grade and I would like to revisit my home country and also make as much spending money thru teaching as I can. Cheers to all respondees!

yeah, I didn't mention it the other day because I knew you'd miss out, no point in rubbing it in, haha. It's only 7-9pm, here across the street from my place. SInce it's only 2 hrs, I dizz and I will probably try to make a go at 15-20 margaritas a piece plus the food, and I already told dizz he will probably have to carry me out of the restaurant in his arms.

i'm thinking i might have to bring my apcs and watch them niggas stretch while i consume copious amounts of tequila and chips.

Hey all. I recently graduated from college and was planning on going to Korea for a few months to teach English. I have applied to a few companies to teach there but none have gotten back to me. Anyone have any experience with teaching english? Any recommendations? I haven't been there since the 4th grade and I would like to revisit my home country and also make as much spending money thru teaching as I can. Cheers to all respondees!

google dave's esl and find all the resources you need.

usually places require a one yar contract, depending on your visa status, but look into it as there are a ton of resources out there on the net.

good luck since korean kids are a pain in the ass. korean parents even more so.

google dave's esl and find all the resources you need.

usually places require a one yar contract, depending on your visa status, but look into it as there are a ton of resources out there on the net.

good luck since korean kids are a pain in the ass. korean parents even more so.

Thanks + rep

Super ambitious plan that many have had in the past; you probably won't make enough in a few months to make it worth your while, the average teacher barely breaks even, after even a year sometimes. I've seen people save money and take money home from teaching a year of ESL here, but that was a combination of super thrifty living and/or higher than average pay, and we're talking 4 figure amounts. A few months though, you'd probably only make enough to eat and get drunk on, and probably not even recoup your plane ticket.

The ESL market in Korea is now super saturated, and now extremely competitive; I see lots of middle-aged adults who look like they're fresh from North America (and work experience in a different field) with a much calmer, cleaner, more conservative bent than I've been used to seeing. A lot fewer misfit/adventurer types and more people really coming to work now, that screening process they implemented last year probably helped weed out a lot of trash that was pouring in previously. I am pretty sure most of those types moved on to Taiwan and China.

If you're Korean-American, there is a separate job market for you, but it's considerably smaller than the mainstream white-only ESL jobs, and in my opinion, does not pay any better, despite common thinking.

If you don't have a degree, forget about it. The places that would take you are so few and far between, it's not worth it coming to another country without the guarantee of a job. Employers get a month or two of lead time before hiring and the ball is in their court nowadays, and would have no reason to choose someone without a degree over a graduate, which there are plenty of here.

Having been in Korea for about 9 months now, I have not tried the Korean food of INFINITE FERTILITY. Yes, I am talking about Korean Dog Stew. So I was asking my friend when he was going to take me to try this epicurean feast (lol). So we agreed that he would take me for dinner. After spending a day with him (he let me drive his car in Korea) he takes me to the restaurant, we take off our shoes and proceed to the room where there are 2 tables prepared. The waitress brings the meat in, and at this point I had mentally prepared the whole day to see some crazy shit (i mean...whens the last time YOU had dog?) so I'm picking at the meat and something doesn't look right. I look closer and in my mind I'm thinking....this dog had...feathers? I ask my Korean friend what kind of dog we were eating and he goes "dogk, you know? QUACK QUACK" *flaps arms*.......

He thought i was saying DUCK.

THE ENTIRE DAY.

I love Korea.

I'm assuming you're korean-american? Do you speak korean at all?

Do you have a place to stay?

Finding a place to take you on for 4 months is going to be reaaal tricky. As dizz said, most places are looking to hire for a year. You're best bet is to private tutor/conversation partner.

What school did you graduate from? Don't want to be shallow but in korea they pay accordingly. A buddy from Harvard taught 2 kids/10 hours a week and took home 80 bucks an hour. Not too shabby considering he was a sophomore.

But yea, you're best bet is to ask your korean friends or look online for private tutoring.

I'm assuming you're korean-american? Do you speak korean at all?

Do you have a place to stay?

Finding a place to take you on for 4 months is going to be reaaal tricky. As dizz said, most places are looking to hire for a year. You're best bet is to private tutor/conversation partner.

What school did you graduate from? Don't want to be shallow but in korea they pay accordingly. A buddy from Harvard taught 2 kids/10 hours a week and took home 80 bucks an hour. Not too shabby considering he was a sophomore.

All true, but the private ESL game is all about introductions and tits and ass. There's a bunch of Koreans who masquerade as Korean Americans or whatever and may not even have degrees, and get paid twice that. You can regularly show up in Itaewon, Hongdae, meet some Korean girl, she will tell you she's an English teacher, and you will gasp in belief because you won't believe how someone who can't speak a language can teach it, and then you will find out they make $150 an hour.

All true, but the private ESL game is all about introductions and tits and ass. There's a bunch of Koreans who masquerade as Korean Americans or whatever and may not even have degrees, and get paid twice that. You can regularly show up in Itaewon, Hongdae, meet some Korean girl, she will tell you she's an English teacher, and you will gasp in belief because you won't believe how someone who can't speak a language can teach it, and then you will find out they make $150 an hour.

from my understanding, places in kangnam such as apku, chungdam and residential areas like daechi, jamwon, doguk will pay more as well since the area tends to be a bit more affluent with milfs and chanel bags up in the mix.

but yeah, make sure you get in good with the mom!

Guest umhaha84

^KangNam's where its at if you wanna actually make some money.

KangNam Soccer moms are like idiots with bagfull of cash. make sure you act like you care about their child, and your job. you'll get paid well.

burger meetup shall be in order soon.

wish winq was here... :(

is there a place with good burgers here? dont know if its a chain but the only decent spot with good burgers that ive hit is a spot called valance burger, the bbq one was pretty good.