korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

I'm moving to Korea next month to teach. I'm going through EPIK, and waiting for my contract to arrive to find out exactly where I'll be teaching. I realize it's nothing awesome or high-paying, but this will be my first teaching job, and I just want to get some experience. Also, I'm not that worried about money. I'll be making enough to live off and have some fun, so that's enough for right now. I'm hoping that wherever I end up, there will be come cool sufu-ers that can inform me of cool shit to do.

he's an E2 but that is good enough to make any amount of money you want. You just gotta rub the right clit and flatter the right people here, because the salaries for whitey range from 2 mil to unlimited won. I've met guys with no qualifications and no reason to be here be put into directorial and CEO positions of multinational companies in Korea. It's a lot to do with how you rub Korean people and how slyly aggressive you are, and how much you know you can get from them, or least hedge on.

would love to have an in-depth conversation about this. i'm gonna be in canada for eight months, then shanghai for two, but after that i think i'll probably make my way back to seoul, and i sure as shit don't want to be making 2.3 + housing when i do.

whats a good site to buy a flight from seoul to america? for some reason the flight from sfo to incheon one way is really cheap but from incheon back is like a grand

i know that i should be thinking positive that i will get this position and i wont need a flight back for like a year but still you gotta have a back up plan.

whats a good site to buy a flight from seoul to america? for some reason the flight from sfo to incheon one way is really cheap but from incheon back is like a grand

i know that i should be thinking positive that i will get this position and i wont need a flight back for like a year but still you gotta have a back up plan.

nextour.co.kr usually works for me. kayak is my go to. i've had some deals off some korean travel agencies but not really substantial.

been running the esl circuit since jan., it's definitely not the goldmine some people purport it to be. 4mil+ is possible but you'll have a hard time finding that much from public schools or most hagwons.

Frankly, that is life man, nobody is gonna tell you where you can casually walk in and get a job paying $60-100K a year, but in this industry, they do exist, you just have to find them, and it's a scavenger hunt commensurate with finding a job that pays $100K a year for unskilled labor... that is why this place is an ESL goldmine, it's full of bullshitters, which makes sense, because the whole industry is based on that.

It's also due to the sheer amount of gloating, self misery, shared misery, and seemingly standardized procedures here where people think either they're special for beating the 2mil+housing system, or that they're getting screwed by it but don't know how to come up.

If you come out here with honest intentions about ESL teaching, you'll leave here poor or won't even be able to afford to leave at all. Sad reality. Most people can't afford to leave on 3m/housing, which is pretty sad. If you get street smart and take the money people are offering, you'll ball out like no other.

do they still do the all you can eat and drink for 30,000 on thursdays at on the border? im assuming that im still not going to be working this thursday and was wondering if any of you guys would be interested in checking it out. cause when i get this job ill probably never be able to go again.

Frankly, that is life man, nobody is gonna tell you where you can casually walk in and get a job paying $60-100K a year, but in this industry, they do exist, you just have to find them, and it's a scavenger hunt commensurate with finding a job that pays $100K a year for unskilled labor... that is why this place is an ESL goldmine, it's full of bullshitters, which makes sense, because the whole industry is based on that.

It's also due to the sheer amount of gloating, self misery, shared misery, and seemingly standardized procedures here where people think either they're special for beating the 2mil+housing system, or that they're getting screwed by it but don't know how to come up.

If you come out here with honest intentions about ESL teaching, you'll leave here poor or won't even be able to afford to leave at all. Sad reality. Most people can't afford to leave on 3m/housing, which is pretty sad. If you get street smart and take the money people are offering, you'll ball out like no other.

this is what i'm looking to do, possibly in november, any of you guys know of some cheap digs when i first move out?

• 2 weeks later...

i got an email back from an academy and he said that he wants to schedule an informal interview. i am really bad at reading koreans. what should i expect from an informal interview? should i still wear a shirt and tie? any other tips i should know?

also i know im trying to live on like $9 a day so this shouldnt be the best time for me to ask but when is the next gathering of the minds gonna happen. i miss the seoul sufu crew.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience with the Yeongdong Line? I have yet to find any useful information in English and even the Korean rail maps and timetables are proving to be of little help.

I am planning to spend time in southern Gangwon-do and know the stations I want to be at, but how to successfully get there...

edit: Suddenly when searching around most things came together. Should work out, but would also be interested in hearing if anyone else has gone through that region.

Sorry if this has been answered before.. but anyone know of Japanese retailers in Korea? (evisu, samurai iron heart etc) i'll be their later this year and thought maybe I could do some shopping outside of designer brands..

There are Evisu stores in Korea. The rest I dont know about it, but I dont think Korea is big in to Japan denim. Lots of kids wearing Nudies

hey has anyone been to that beijing duck place that is right outside of apgujeong station? i hella want to eat some duck and for some reason i have a feeling that place might be pretty decent.