korea :: seoul :: general

thomas_highstreet

a bit ambiguous there.. u can buy 3 chickens for 10,000won in seongbuk-gu near the back entrance of kookmin university, next to the buy-the-way and the glass/window depot.

those shits are like 2 for 10,000 in kangnam.

what the fuck 3 for man won? calling BS, they're 2 for ~10,000 in wangsimni

i feel gypped

what the fuck 3 for man won? calling BS, they're 2 for ~10,000 in wangsimni

if you wanna put some money down? i bet you, man won, that i can get 3 chickens for man won. dealio?

i will arrange pictures if your game

and as your gonna lose, ill even give you this option, you buy me a pair of dongdaemun hermes or louis vuitton socks and ship them ground, that'll save you like 1000~2000 won.

if you win of course, i will buy you the chickens and a bottle of makoli to go with on my return.

• 2 weeks later...

i couldnt be arsed to get someone to take a picture, but i stil win. its just true.

this thread is getting way to tame, where are the tales of filth? i know y'all frequent those wet-rub joints.. spill the beans. has bri-guy successfully infiltrated yet?

im not back out for a while. short trip circa.June09.. then back out for long time love in the autumn. is it gonna take my arrival to rekindle your barbecues?

hahaha

get on it!

i am really bored with my life right now and i need a change. i posted my resume online the other day and a korean esl recruiter contacted me and i have decided to try it out. Im just starting with the paper work so its not 100% sure yet, but more likely than not i am gonna go.

any way, i dont know anything about seoul. i have received my first offer and it is in the section of Songpa-gu. Is that a decent area or should I look again.

songpa is kinda on the way to bundang right?

i wouldnt say its the best location to live in, but travel in seoul is cheap and reliable.. so not much of a problem..

likely the places you'll be visiting are kangnam/apgujeong for shopping, food, bars, clubs and hongdae for food/cafe/bars... songpa is close to kangnam/apgu, but a bit of a trek to hongdae.

if i could live anywhere in seoul it would be ballin in myeongdong or warehousing in mapo gu

i heard bundang is one of the ESL hot spots. its kinda one of those places people get rectuited to thinking they are right in the middle of seoul but finding out later they are in the burbs.

but.. it kinda depends exactly where in songpa you gonna be at... some locations in the district seem pretty hot.

i lived in sillim sam dong which most people would probably say is a shit hole, but it was fun to live there... if your first time in seoul i think you will appreciate the little extra travel and living somewhere which isnt completely packed with foreigners...

try get somewhere close to a station on the green metro line... line 2? that way you know you got a good connection and are stil relatively central

Songpa is Jamshil (Lotte World!) and the surrounding areas, its still Seoul and adjacent to Kangnam-gu so it'd be a Kangnam-centric lifestyle, which isn't bad. Songpa is considered one of the better districts to live in, probably after Kangnam-gu and Seocho-gu. It has the remains of the '88 Olympics stuff and so there's a nice park, etc there. It's kinda calming down there in Jamshil.

Jamshil, Sungnae, and Shinchun are Songpa-gu and on the green line 2. Ogeum is a residential area too and that's on the far end of the purple line which can take you to a lot of places if you're willing to sit on the train for a bit. Most people out in Songpa usually ride the bus, unless they live right on line 2. I had a gf a long long time ago who lived in the Jangmi Apts right at Sungnae St and she was going to school at Ewha on the opposite corner, but since it was a doorstep to doorstep ride without transfers, her total commute was like 45 minutes with very little walking, which wasn't bad at all, for Seoul.

ESL hot spots are just dependent on the amount of families living wherever. Can't have a school without the kids. Bundang is a biggie, but all of the residential-heavy areas in Seoul are ESL hotspots. Junggye in Nowon-gu way up north has traditionally been huge, and it's in the middle of bumfuck. Extremely undesirable, if you wish to play in other places in Seoul. Other areas like this I guess would Mokdong, which is the new Junggye, I guess, Seocho/Bangbae, a little north of Hyehwa is a little cluster of schools that bring in kids from Seongbuk-gu, Apkujung/Chungdam to a lesser extent, and there's a few over in Gwangjin-gu. Plus Songpa, as mentioned.

Ilsan is about the same as Bundang, except whereas English teachers who live in Bundang all pile into a taxi and ravage Kangnam-yuk, Ilsan people pile in and share the $30 cab to Hongdae.

Living in Seoul enjoyably is subject to what you want. Housing is given by schools by default, so if it's your first time around, and you don't mind some quiet alone time, that's probably your best bet. It's a real bitch to have to worry about housing on your own, especially if you don't need to. Nowadays the housing provided, especially towards Kangnam, are good. wild_whiskey has a nice place, I think.

FWIW too, I like living in the foreigner ghettoes; the housing is astonishingly cheap for what you get, location is central to everything (cab fares are like 5-6,000W back from Shinchon, little more from Hongdae, 7-9,000 from apku, 10,000 from Kangnam-yuk, 5,000'ish to dizz or Bri-guy's, minimum fare to Itaewon, etc, etc), you don't have to ass your way through situations with nonexistent Korean language schools, and I don't feel as guilty living my lifestyle where there aren't families around. I would feel kind of dumb for getting hammered and getting all loud and obnoxious at 3am everyday if I lived in a complex of family apartments. I don't hang out with lots of English teachers, but it is nice to be able to walk 50ft and get a hot shawarma or a block of actual cheese from the market if I'm cooking something and absolutely need it, it means a lot in Seoul.

BTW there is no Mexican food in Seoul, but we've gone over this.

songpa is kinda on the way to bundang right?

i wouldnt say its the best location to live in, but travel in seoul is cheap and reliable.. so not much of a problem..

try get somewhere close to a station on the green metro line... line 2? that way you know you got a good connection and are stil relatively central

yeah i was talking to the recruiter and she let me know that this is not central seoul but a subburb, but it is located close to teh line 2 so it would be easy to get around.

on a side note the recruiter is kinda pushy she called me twice yesterday to ask the same questions both times, and emailed me 3 times mostly about stuff we discussed over teh phone.

BTW there is no Mexican food in Seoul, but we've gone over this.

true but still kinda lame

oh well, like i told them im not just gonna jump at the first offer, even though i kinda like this one.

thanks for teh help guys

i dont think youll have a rough time there, i dont want you to get that impression.... as dismal said (who knows seoul better than me) its a good location if you wanna roll mostly in kangnam, which is probably quite likely.

also, quite rightly he said itaewon, noksapyeung, etc. is pretty much a prime location for getting around the city, but personally i think its a shithole and full of bad ju-ju.. id rather have to travel an extra few mins and live in somewhere a little more interesting.. but... many people do like it there :)

are you korean? or asian? speak korean?

nice im down with that! mass isnt too bad so eden sounds hopeful... we should definatly smash it up sometime.. ill dress a little less embarassing for you guys, see if we can land some sort of sex party ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

oversized jil jacket with leggings!?!?

lol.

get ur ass back in town. bri's leaving in early march so we'll need a cheeky replacement asap.

Alvahroe, you'd better be sassy as hell, if you're hoping for entrance to the Seoul sufu crew. You're gonna need a perm and some fur, at the very least....

nah dude, im a fuckin nerd, (the fur sounds dope though).