A Music Thread

john11f

Since the "what denim..." thread has been hijacked, why don't we start this instead.

Seems like a lot of people who visit this forum is heavy into electronica.

Anyone care to share which ones are their favorite?

I'm into Thievery Corporation. I think they are cool. They used to be underground back in 98' but have since been mainstream. Too bad but you can't keep a great group under the radar for long.

What is still not mainstream are Pork Recordings' talent pool: Baby Mammoth, Bullitnuts, Momma Gravy, Leggo Beast. Fila Brazillia has left for 23 records...

if we are talking electronic my favorites are: Vvrssnn, Autechre, The Avalanches, Boards of Canada, The Books, Caribou, The Dirty Projectors, Efterklang, Ellen Allien, Eluvium, Four Tet, Junior Boys, Lullatone, M83, Manitoba, múm, Prefuse 73, Ratatat, re:, RJD2, Stereolab, Tunng, Yacht

thats probably over kill

www.taborrobak.com

I mean, damn, how long can a person or group of persons talk about denim? Maybe I shouldn't ask that.

With morning coffee, I was listening to the Christian Fennesz/Ryuichi Sakamoto collaboration, Sala Santa Celia. A lovely 19 minute work which sets one up for the forthcoming full length cd.

Later, I'm planning to pick up the Larsen cd, "Play". And maybe the new Black Dice.

Here's a little side question. Any gym rats here? What do you listen to as you sweat? Lately it's been Melvins "Bullhead" or "Houdini". Other times Front 242. Or Killing Joke. I should really make a gym mix. But I'm too lazy.

I listen to a LOT of different music.

lately:

Bayside, Norma Jean, The Used, Taking Back Sunday, Hawthorne Heights, Dipset, Majik Most, Sage Francis, Jus Allah, Jedi Mind, stuff like that.

I also do a lot of hard house, prog. hard house, jump-up jungle and the likes.. even some hardcore and gabber on occasion.

for more laid back stuff I lie e*vax, squarepusher, mouse on mars, autechre, and the likes...

I started out with Nine Inch Nails. I got The Downward Spiral when I was 11, I think.

I've moved on to industrial, IDM, techno, ambient, noise, drone, doom metal, psychedelic rock, krautrock, eh I'm getting tired of listing genres because I could go on forever

boris is hitting sf:

BORIS [Japan]:

(with Hidden Hand)

Mon Oct 17, New York, NY - Knitting Factory

Tues Oct 18, Philadelphia, PA - First Unitarian Church

Wed Oct 19, Baltimore, MD - Ottobar

Thurs Oct 20, TBA

(with SUNN 0))) & THRONES)

Wed Oct 26, Vancouver, BC - The Brickyard

Thurs Oct 27, Seattle, WA - Nuemo's

Fri Oct 28, Olympia, WA - Venue TBA

Sat Oct 29, Portland, OR - Berbati's Pan

Mon Oct 31, San Francisco, CA (3 Days Of Darkness Festival) - Slims

Tues Nov 01, Los Angeles, CA - Venue TBA

i haven't seen philip play, but his record rules.

Quote:

SUNN 0)) is sick.

--- Original message by wild_whiskey on Sep 13, 2005 01:37 PM

Eh. They're not doing anything Earth didn't do before them. I find it funny that SUNN O))) has become somewhat of a hipster's-darling band though.

Boris do the guitar-drone schtick WAY better, and with much more variation. The new Boriz/Merzbow collab "Sun Baked Snow Cave" is AMAZING.

strange to see so many experimental music geeks into fashion icon_smile_blackeye.gif

Edited by minya on Sep 13, 2005 at 01:44 PM

I saw Growing live with Earth/Merzbow/Circle. They were terrible live, but seem like they'd be great on CD.

I def. agree that the first 2 Merzbow/Boris collabs were terrible, but this next one is excellent, I promise.

Keith Fullerton Whitman's new cd (name is escaping me right now) is definitely one of my favorite discs from 2005...

i saw growing twice and they blew me away twice. maybe they had an off night?

multiples is the whitman record you're referring to, i think. he's been doing guitar + computer stuff recently and it's fantastic. he actually played a show with tony conrad and charlamagne palestine in belgium which is amazing.

Yeah. Growing were WAY too fucking loud. Couldn't hear anything at all except distorted noisy skree. All the subtleties were completely lost.

Yeah, Multiples! I love that disc. The stuff he's done in the past is pretty good but nothing comes close to Multiples, IMO. I would love to have seen him play with Palestine and Conrad... yikes!

I bought the Fennesz/Sakamoto at insound.com

Is anyone interested in Radiohead and what they'll do next? How often do you play "Hail

to The Thief"? I haven't played it in months. Months. It's like me and Sonic Youth. I buy the new disc. Play it like mad. Then suddenly I just don't want to hear it anymore. I wonder if that's destined to happen with Radiohead? I find I do go back to "Kid A" though.

someone asked about Fennesz?Sakamoto. I bought it at insound.com

This thread is fantastic. I'm googling all the musicians I'm not familiar with. Thanks, I'll go broke buying discs.

Is anyone interested in Radiohead and what they'll do next? How often do you play "Hail To The Thief"? I haven't palyed it in months. It's like me and Sonic Youth. I buy their new disc, play it like mad, and then suddenly I don't want to hear it anymore. I wonder if that's destined to happen with Radiohead? I do reach for "Kid A" occasionally.

New disc from the Fall next month. They never tire. "Always different. Always the same." John Peel speaking of the Fall.