OptimaDies

Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

That's a good design.

I appreciate that many people have a fondness for extra-thick leather and the wallets that result, but man, really they can be ridiculously thick. This is a great compromise between real-life utility and material appreciation.

Thanks! I'm the same mate, I like thinner wallets. The problem is, I love the hand of a 4 or 5oz leather, and it ages more like a saddle than a 3oz (which tends to get softer and feel like garment leather). I'm after a simple wallet with a surplus of features, but it's involved taking away layers to get it to this point. I'm sure it'll change a lot more before it's finished, but I'm psyched on where it's going.

some love for unlucky (wallet) and corter (bracelet). see evo thread for some more pics. couldn't be happier with both the items. next purchase will be a belt!

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

I orderd the ez to do leather craft kit from tandy because it was on sale for 15. I couldnt pass it up, because i've been interested in leather craft for a while. Well I made everything in the kit already and i want to try making my own stuff. Where is a good website to order only a few yards of a nice veg tanned leather. Also what type of leather would i want to order to make wallets mainly. Or, could i buy some off of someone here?

Check out these vintage Rivets and burs I picked up... I've never seen any like it before...

Anchors and Stars!

DSC05777.jpg

Check out these vintage Rivets and burs I picked up... I've never seen any like it before...

Anchors and Stars!

DSC05777.jpg

Would you sell/trade for a few? I'd love some with anchors for personal projects, they're so great!

Would you sell/trade for a few? I'd love some with anchors for personal projects, they're so great!

maybe,

I've got a few projects myself I've been thinking of using them for.. but will let you know...

I've been inspired by the phone cases I've seen here lately, so I built one for myself. I really don't like any of the leathers that Tandy sells other than their tooling calf and pig linings. That's what I made this from, and here's what it looks like after dunked in mink's oil and rubbed with Montana Pitch Blend:

iphonecase.jpg

unlucky that bag you posted on you blog on the 23 of july is insane...its everything i've dreamed of making myself.

some other very nice pieces on there too.

Hey, corter. You live in the boston area, where do you pick up your leather from? I'm thinking of trying my hand at making a wallet some time. What weight do you recommend? Probably something RM style. Thanks bud.

I usually always send people to Rob at Tandy Leather in Chelmsford when they're starting out. He's super careful with the hides, the store is insanely clean (rare for a Tandy) and he does a lot out of his own pocket to make sure every hide he has stays perfect until you buy it. I buy from a lot of different places for all different weights, but he's my favorite dude to deal with and offers a consistent product. He's also super nice and will walk you through anything you want to learn at the drop of a hat. I'd go with a 4/5oz if you want indestructible, 3/4oz if you want a bit thinner wallet and plan on using lots of layers.

Finally got around to breaking out the camera. Belt is about 9 months old, with less months of actual wear. Made on Jan 22nd 2010. Click picture for full size.

zik5e1.jpg

Just received these iphone cases from obi - needless to say - perfect

5000289863_495b89c577_z.jpg

5000290025_6dbd0e4db6_z.jpg

5000290119_8902a1012e_z.jpg

Thanks so much***

how does the unfinished leather work with the screen? i'd feel better about getting it if it was microfibr lined.

I'm not really worried about it...James made these for the 4g - and that glass is supposed to be so tough that you can cut a steak on it..

I'm not really worried about it...James made these for the 4g - and that glass is supposed to be so tough that you can cut a steak on it..

That wishful thinking, I know a few people with major scratches and a few with cracks already :(

Is leather abrasive in nature? I would assume the phone will be fine.

my mom and I have both had our iphones in leather for 2-3 years, and it's never been a problem. me dropping my phone on concrete repeatedly without the case has, but not the case itelf

I use clean leather to clean my screens on the reg. You don't get scratches from materials, you get it from grit stuck to the material.