Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Hey guys, I had a couple of questions that I needed clarification on.

1. To make the holes for stitching two pieces of leather together I understand you need a stitching awl. Observing all of your creations the holes are pretty evenly distributed, is there a certain type of awl that I am overlooking that will do this for me or will I be punching the holes individually?

2. I am looking to make a custom makers mark, does anyone know a good/reliable site that they have had good experiences with?

Another bag completed, using full veg tan leather, The Peter Pan Veg Tan Sling/Waist bag. Two methods of carrying this bag, first method is by slinging it, second method is hanging it by the belt. Here are some pics :)

Slinging

PeterPanVegTanBag9.jpg

Haning by the belt

PeterPanVegTanBag1.jpg

PeterPanVegTanBag4.jpg

Also made a wallet inspired by RM Kids.

Here is our Obbi Kidz wallet. Using Mustard Brown Cowhide leather for its soft characteristic to achieve thinner quality and also minimise of the internal slots.

JaneKidsWalletMustardBrown1.jpg

JaneKidsWalletMustardBrown2.jpg

Very nearly finshed making myself a backpack. Not so much leathercrafting,as attaching leather straps to a hickory stripe denim bag. Just waiting for some more rivets to arrive so I can affix the flap buckles.

Despite the stitching being somewhat eratic, i'm pretty pleased with it.

All put together using my great grandmothers pre-war knee operated Singer.

ojdpgh.jpg

ou8r6d.jpg

nv9m3o.jpg

(have got stage by stage pics if anyone wants to see them,but they're really not very exciting)

Thanks to Zizzou for the inspiration to make this. Next project will be a denim (exposed selvedge) & leather card holder

tongue those are amazing. such a clean stitching job. how long did that take? what is the sole?

Thanks. It took about 14 hours. I'm still new to the craft so hopefully I can get it done faster as I progress. I used Vibram rubber soling sheet for the sole and leather for the midsole. I want to look into getting amazonas rubber soles (the ones used by Quoddy) for my next project. We'll see how that goes.

here's some of the things i've done form the past couple weeks. I haven't had much time to get online and post pictures of individual pieces, so theres more on my flickr (flickr.com/thisishome)... here's a couple piles

4350955378_0032df9eba.jpg

4350206609_ff65cd2130.jpg

and these are a new project I've been working on for a while. They're made of 3 different weights of leather. The 6 oz shells are made with a couple hides I found from a gent in Maine, which he found in his barn. They're natural veg tanned, not tanned, with a bit of mink oil to soften em up. The thickness of the leather allowed me to omit the lining inside. 4 or 5 oz interior structure, and 3 oz pockets. I wanted to make a wallet that was really tough and would last forever, but would also be a cheaper alternative to something fully lined with all the bells and whistles. I was trying to make the redwing or timberland type wallet to the Whites that would be a nicer, $200 wallet. they've got all card slots on the inside.

4350952900_5e86214095.jpg

4350964092_6a89dfe629.jpg

That rucksack/duffle is beautiful.

Nice work. Has inspired me a bit for my next bag attempt.

Is that the hoody you made? looking great too.

By the looks of things, all your body parts will slowly be replaced with leather. You've created a monster :)

marshal made that jacket, all by hand , in the coarse of a week, he used my fullcount tightbody anorak as the design template and opened up the arms to make it more go ready. he went through like 50 cans of zazz will sewing it and his fingers are permanantly mangled.

its all elk skin, and he might replace the zipper with cherry buttons from a 300 year old cherry tree we cut down.