australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

hmm yeah been meaning to check out rocco's for a while now. you mind posting up photos when you get them DJI?

sure thing man.

I basically chose the type of toe box that I wanted from the shoes that were on the shelves then decided on the lacing, number of eyelets and colour. takes 5 weeks for them to complete a made to order pair.

Just saw that today.

Tourism Australia’s 'Transformation' Campaign launched today and was conceived and ultimately produced by film writer/producer/director Baz Luhrmann. After Luhrmann’s experience collaborating with Revolver on his first and only previous campaign, Chanel’s 'No.5: The Film' which starred Nicole Kidman, Luhrmann again asked Revolver to be involved. Luhrmann and his Bazmark production company teamed with Revolver and their award winning Director, Bruce Hunt, to execute the Tourism Australia production under Luhrmann’s creative guidance. Revolver also hooked in creative duo, Tony Banks and Paul Taylor of Day and Age, to work with Luhrmann on his concepts and knead the creative into script form.

In his role as producer/creative director on this project, Luhrmann worked closely with Bruce Hunt and Revolver’s team, led by Executive Producer Michael Ritchie, nevertheless, the result is pure Luhrmann.

Tourism Australia Managing Director Geoff Buckley said the unique opportunity created by the production of Luhrmann’s epic film Australia was one the organisation could not let pass: "We knew that this huge film would create a wave of publicity that would put the country in the spotlight around the globe,"he said. “And we found that the film’s story had a remarkable resonance for what we do marketing the country as a travel destination.

“The challenge was always going to be how to ride the power of the film, but with a stand-alone and self-reliant tourism campaign. Getting Baz Luhrmann and his team on board to make that campaign was simply the best result we could hope for."

SYDNEY, Oct 8 AAP - The Australian dollar continues its free-fall, hitting a five-year low against the American currency as gathering fears of a global recession hit the local unit.

The Australian dollar fell 4.40 US cents from yesterday's local close, after dropping 5.3 US cents in the two previous days.

At 1700 AEDT, the Australian dollar was trading at 68.34 US cents, down from yesterday's close of 72.72 US cents.

It was the Australian dollar's lowest close since September 29, 2003 and was the first time the local unit closed below US70 cents since 21 September, 2004 when it closed at 69.93 US cents.

During the day, the local currency traded between a low of 67.65 US cents and a high of 71.57 US cents.

NabCapital currency strategist John Kyriakopoulos said market sentiment continued to sour as hopes were dashed for coordinated rate cuts by major central banks last night to stave off a world recession.

"We were probably hoping for some coordinated interest rate cuts yesterday and they were not delivered," he said.

"The perception is the global economy is heading for ruin."

Investors dumped higher risk assets, with Australian sharemarkets, the S&P/ASX 200 and the All Ordinaries, closing nearly five per cent poorer.

Fellow Asian bourses were hammered, with Japan's Nikkei index down 9.4 per cent and Korea's KOSPI 5.8 per cent lower by 1800 AEDT.

"Equities markets are clearly telling the policymakers they need to cut interest rates by a lot and very soon, otherwise we are going to have a global recession," Mr Kyriakopoulos said.

"That type of environment is not good for the Australian dollar, which is leveraged to the global economy.

"Understandably, investors are selling the Australian dollar as a result."

A good barometer of the market's appetite for risk is the Australian dollar/Japanese yen cross-trade, Mr Kyriakopoulos said.

Since Friday, the local currency has shed nearly 17 per cent against the Japanese unit.

"Risk aversion is getting worse, not better," he said.

The Australian dollar closed at 68.28 yen, down 8.72 per cent from yesterday's close of 74.80 yen, and at 50.31 euro cents, down from 53.64 euro cents.

The euro finished at 1.3572 US dollars, up from yesterday's close of 1.3554 US dollars and at 135.64 Japanese yen, down from 139.45 yen.

The US dollar closed the local session at 99.93 Japanese yen, down from 102.88 yen.

Meanwhile, the Australian bond market closed stronger, with investors kept flocking to safe-haven assets after big falls on stock markets throughout Asia.

At 1630 AEDT, the yield on the Commonwealth Government March 2019 bond was at 4.940 per cent, down from yesterday's close of 5.067 per cent, while the June 2011 bond was at 4.280 per cent, down from 4.530 per cent.

On the Sydney Futures Exchange, the December 10-year bond futures contract was at 95.045, up from yesterday's close of 94.925, while the December three-year contract was at 95.615, up from of 95.410.

Chief economist at fund manager Ausbil Dexia, John Honan, said the Australian bond market rallied hard as investors sought safety from falling equity markets.

"It's not as if it offers value, it just offers security against disturbing aspects of other asset classes basically," Mr Honan said.

"The bond market is pretty expensive.

"I suspect it's going to become more expensive."

The 90-day bank bill rate closed at 6.220 per cent, down from yesterday's close of 6.320, while the 180-day bank bill rate was at 5.780 per cent, down from 5.880 per cent.

At 1600 AEDT, the Reserve Bank of Australia's trade weighted index (TWI) was at 57.0, down from yesterday's close of 58.4

It was the TWI's lowest closing level since May 8, 2003 when it ended the day at 56.6

jesus this is horrible..

alright, for the boys that regularly contribute to this thread (tyro, dji, jcott, etc. come to mind), i'm gonna offer to do pickups next week in tokyo. i'm not interested in any proxy fees, etc. just cover the product and shipping costs (and paypal fees if you want to use that). i can probably even post your shit from hk the following week, because i believe japan post = rape?

i'm guessing theres not going to be much interest anymore with the weakening dollar, but thought i'd throw the offer out there anyway..

also, im not fucking proxying your three-pack of uniqlo ped socks, lets try and keep this to purchases of importance.

cheers, boys.

thanks for the offer home, I appreciate it man. luckily I already ordered more or less everything I was really interested in buying from the japan this season but I'll let you know if I think of something. how long are you over there for anyways?

dudes this really sucks i heard this over the news in the morning and i'm very very sad.

but i haven't been paying attention to how this ordeal became.

anyone want to briefly explain to a non-commerce student?

(ie. explain it like you'd explain it to a 5-year old would be good)

had a look at them last week, they're quite nice but nothing particularly exciting. bit pricey for something that is made in brazil too, best of heading down to roccos and getting a handmade pair there, it'll be cheaper too ;)

come on aussie dollar, I want to cop genzou's nosferatu coat haha

had a look at them last week, they're quite nice but nothing particularly exciting. bit pricey for something that is made in brazil too, best of heading down to roccos and getting a handmade pair there, it'll be cheaper too ;)

come on aussie dollar, I want to cop genzou's nosferatu coat haha

how bad is aussie dollar :( cant afford to buy anythign anymore

cross posted with recent purchases:

IMG_1852.jpg

pair of derbies from rocco's handmade shoes.

for anyone interested a standard derby/oxford costs $180 and a pair of boots will cost about $240. it is the same price for calf leather, suede, patent leather, distressed leather, etc. but they are a bit more expensive if you want snake leather. to get a rubber protective sole and heel added it is $20 but they recommend that you break in the shoe for ~1 month before getting this done.

the calf leather is really soft and beautiful, the smell of the leather is quite potent too (in a good way). the distressed leather he showed me was a coarse grained leather similar to what CON is using this season (but much nicer), I'm sure if you brought them a photo/sample of the sort of distressed leather you are after they could find something similar. thinking about getting a pair of derbies similar to the CON mono 3s made in washed black leather :cool:

haha, true that.

I'm sure it is possible to get some combats made. most of the boots I saw were chelseas, work boots and side zip boots but if you showed them the sort of thing you were after I'm sure they would be happy to make them for you, you just gotta wait 5 weeks ;)

rocco's uses lasts but in premade sizes, not bespoke. they measured up your foot when you ordered them to make sure you get the perfect size. I don't think you're going to find a cheaper handmade shoe anywhere in melbourne (or australia for that matter), something comparable in quality and construction will set you back $400+ somewhere like david jones.

cross posted with recent purchases:

IMG_1852.jpg

pair of derbies from rocco's handmade shoes.

for anyone interested a standard derby/oxford costs $180 and a pair of boots will cost about $240. it is the same price for calf leather, suede, patent leather, distressed leather, etc. but they are a bit more expensive if you want snake leather. to get a rubber protective sole and heel added it is $20 but they recommend that you break in the shoe for ~1 month before getting this done.

I have a pair of side-zip style boots i have designed, do you think they could do a job like that? based off my design... Or even if i showed them photographs?

I'm looking for a year long internship, got 1 year of uni left but pretty burnt out atm so I'd like a change of pace. got an interview on tuesday so need to look reasonably sharp.

flock I'm sure they could make something based off of your design, they may already have something similar in store :)