state your beer, drinkers

speaking of labels, aside from Stone double bastard, Gulden Draak has one of my favorite designs...

beerlabels.com-04602.jpg

i love this thread.

belgian beer glass designs are the best. here are a few of my faves (the beers are all first-rate, too, imo, although i'm pretty easy to please).

incidentally, i ordered my Duvel glasses from Global Beer Network, great service and good prices.

Tripel Karmeliet

246l8v5.gif

Orval

jgtqvr.jpg

Kwak (already posted)

122dqg8.jpg

Delirium Tremens (don't forget to try "Delirium Nocturnum" too)

161av46.jpg

La Chouffe

xfb7zk.jpg

Brugse Zot (from Bruges/Brugge/whatever)

1zcfpg3.jpg

touché, although it was his first Orval. i consider myself pretty open-minded with beers, but when i landed in Belgium, i was pretty surprised by the number of beers i didn't like (and some of which i could barely finish, Rodenbach Grand Cru anyone?). just trying to point out that there's a variety and depth there that i have yet to discover anywhere in the US (although my limited experience with Dogfish Head has been similar . . .)

Delirium Tremens (don't forget to try "Delirium Nocturnum" too)

161av46.jpg

What's this like? I saw it at the store i go to for beer and wanted to try it but hadn't heard of it.

Has anyone had Dogfish Head Fort? The one in the big bottle with pureed raspberries. I was wondering if it was any good before i dropped $16-18 on it.

Dog Fish Head does most things they do quite well, just be prepared for an intense beer drinking experience. They definitely don't do session beers...

Yea, i just got a run down on Fort from someone else. I'll probably give it a go.

Lately i've been drinking some Unibroue beers (16, la fin de monde, trois pistoles), some Rogue brews (hazelnut brown nectar and double chocolate stout) samual smith nut brown ale and i still have a bottle of Duchesse de Bourgogne in my fridge for tonight (i bought it because i'm a sucker for medieval art as a history major)

What's this like? I saw it at the store i go to for beer and wanted to try it but hadn't heard of it.

Has anyone had Dogfish Head Fort? The one in the big bottle with pureed raspberries. I was wondering if it was any good before i dropped $16-18 on it.

Delirium Tremens is pretty good. I've been to the pub in Brussels (http://www.deliriumcafe.be). They had about 2400 beers when I was there.

Holy shit. I think the pub i've been to with the most beers is probably Bukowski's in Boston. And they don't even have all that much.

I need to try pliny the younger and elder just because of love for classical history. No place in gainesville stocks it though. I can probably do a special order from the local specialty store.

i have no love of classical art or history, so i can't share in the excitement about phantom beer bottle labels. but i can say that delirium tremens is delicious, and in my experience, it's one of the more available belgian beers, if you can find a place that pours belgian brews near you, they'll probably have it. don't be afraid to try it in the bottle.

Had delirium tremens and duchesse de bogogne tonight. DdB was awesome. Definitely something i'm going to pick up more of in the near future.

I really liked the tremens too. I liked DdB more but tremens is something i'd buy again as well. Priced right too for the size/alcohol content (only $6.99). I like picking up a bigger bottle of beer for myself when i go to a friend's place instead of a 6 pack of shit beer. Tremens will probably be a top choice for me. The fruit flavors (pear and others?) were interesting and suprisingly drinkable for a 8-9% beer.

Just the 750ml of tremens. I didn't see a 6pack at the place i go to. DdB was $2.50 or $3.50 for a small bottle.

The new beer bar in SF just opened not too long ago, called The Monk's Kettle.

They're selling Utopia for $21 for a 1oz pour!

I've tried delirium tremens once but i really did not appreciate it at all. could have been because it was the last thing i drank on new years, or maybe i'm not into the flavor of belgian pale ale. will have to give it another shot some day though...

you should probably try it as the first thing you drink one evening, so you can taste it more. maybe it's not for you, though.

it's not really a belgian pale ale, though. i would consider Hoegaarden a typical belgian pale ale.

well a strong pale ale if we want to be technical. I do like Duvel, but it's been a long time since I've had it because I prefer the darker ales. I picked up a 750ml bottle of Damnation from Russian River to give the style another shot :cool: