state your beer, drinkers

Can you get Atrial Rubicite?

I've gotten it a few times before, it just depends on what the guys have at the brewery.

I haven't heard anything new on it though.

Here's the last time I had it, casked with pink peppercorn.

KtVvl0w.jpg

I enjoyed World's Worst Twin.  I wouldn't immediately say coffee but I get what they were going for.  I kinda picked up some fresh tobacco notes on the nose but it could just be me.

Natural Union was interesting to say the least... I could never drink more than 4-6 oz of it.  On draft, the spice level was too much.  All I could think was herb roasted chicken when I put my nose in the glass.  Maybe the bottled version will be more balanced.

Snorkel is quite good too - crushable as a TX summer beer.  I thought Figlet was kinda MEH though.  Didn't really pick up much smoke or figs... just seemed like a kinda bland JK sour with the Franklin's name attached to it.

The crowds were pretty crazy on Saturday but we got there just after 11AM and had a good spot in line.  Luckily the weather was perfect.  First time I've been back since they released batch #4 of Atrial.  Sadly, I haven't gotten to try Fen Tao, Colour Five or Biere de Blanc du Bois.

I wonder if they are ever gonna redo godslandriska (or whatever it's called) and funkmetal. I remember ol oi being pretty interesting. I haven't tried feng tao. I feel like JK is limiting their supply out at liquor stores and etc. Some of the weirder beers never make it out to WF and beer stores. 

I think my number 1 beer is Allagash PNC broken elevator (Collaboration with Monk's Cafe (Philly), Falling Rock (Denver), Toronado (San Francisco), and Brouwer's (Seattle). Brewed in 2010 and aged in various oak barrels, then blended in April, 2013 from the following barrels:) I had during SF beer week. 

Pliny the younger is probably one of the smoothest triples I've had. Pliny the elder is just ok. 

Some of the vermont brews like heady and brews by hillfarmstead are pretty off the hook. 

I also like deschutes. I think their beers basically fail-safe crowd pleaser and readily available. 

I like sweetwater, terrapin, and some other GA beers. Wake and bake by terrapin is really good. 

Layne, have you had blood and honey from revolver? That shit dope. They recently started selling them at the WF world HQ. 

^ gotta disagree that grapefruit > original.  it's good but the fruit is so strong and masks the perfect hop profile of sculpin.  that said, I'm kinda picky about sculpin being fresh and want it within a few weeks of bottling... that shit falls off HARD.

TPR950H - JK is supposedly working on a 5th batch of atrial right now and I think they put something on BA about it releasing in the next few months.

herpsky - they did re-release gotlandsdricka about a month ago (see their blog).  and new funk metal is always popping up at random places around Houston.... also always seem to have new bottles when I go to the brewery.  I missed fen tao but that release was apparently crazy... dudes wearing costumes to get back in line for a second bottle.  pass & provisions in Houston did a beer dinner with JK a few weeks ago and it was as good as any I've been too.  if you haven't tried noble king since they added souring bacteria pick some up because it's gotten SO much better than the old version.

I really like what Hops & Grain outta Austin is doing lately.  Their year round stuff is solid and they don't seem to be jumping on the hype train of barrel aging every beer and selling it for $20-30.  Also that Heavy Machinery DIPA from ABW is one of my favorite beers to come outta Texas... wish that shit would be canned year-round.

Final Note:  fresh Yellow Rose is the best beer that's been made in Texas.  Yes, I'd put it over Atrial.

Edited by Layne

I'm going to FINALLY get Yellow Rose tonight hopefully, every shop I've gone into usually tells me "oh, we just sold out".

I didn't know they sold it in bottles? I've always gotten it on draft. Actually, for whatever reason, I've only had it in Houston. 

I've never seen it in South-central TX. 

I generally feel indifferent bout AWB but I guess I'll have to try heavy and machinery. I got Greenhouse by H&G at Brew^2 but I was kinda unimpressed. Then again, someone told me that every batch is different. The one I got was back from October and was kinda shitty. 

Old rasputin is good but I guess it's a novelty if you live in Australia. Greenflash WIPA is good but not like HOLY SHIT good.

I don't know shit bout beers from the midwest. Apparently, there's a lot of good ones out there. Surly's Darkness = GOD LEVEL

Intersted in trying out Cigar City but I've never actually seen any in person. I mean, fuck florida

Old rasputin is good but I guess it's a novelty if you live in Australia.

Only comparably good russian imperial stout I've had is Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate stout, and Old Rasputin far surpassed it - do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations for the style that you think is even better? Hopefully something that is somewhat widely distributed, getting good stuff here is a fucking pain

Founder's russian imperial stout is p good. It's a pretty large brewery. Dunno if it's available in AUS.

Yeah, Founder's is even carried by First Choice (p. much the biggest liquor chain in Australia along with Dan Murphys). Will pick that up next time I see it, thanks

I got a single of habanero sculpin at specs and it was too much. I don't think I finished the bottle.

Lone Pint has been bottling YR since September. Sadly they don't bottle date and mosaic hops fall off like no other. Not a big prob in Houston though bc bottles sell fast. I still stick to growler fills though.

When I'm in Austin I'll stop by WF, HEB, East 1st Grocery. That "flag store" shell has a decent selection but their prices are stupid high.

I agree about fuck Florida... CCB has some great beers though. Hai alai ipa is always great. And CCB has a brewpub in the Tampa airport lol!

Where do you guys pick up beer in Austin? Whole foods is fine but it doesn't really have exotic beers like JK

Lots of independently owned convenience stores get some really nice selections.

There's a twitter account that kind of aggregates them, so you can see what's coming out where. (Craft Beer Austin is the handle)

My favorites are Southwest Parkway Market, Witchcraft and then some of the smaller ones near me in South Austin.

Here's my small pickup from tonight.

Z5MkB95.jpg

Bummer.

I'm interested to see how it is, came highly recommended from a friend who usually isn't blown away by many beers.

West coast OG sufu paladins recommended it too. Where did you get it from?

Kinda off topic, but I think I'll try dai due for lunch. This place good?

Picked it up at Food Mart 2400 off Burleson and Oltorf. Might've been the last bottle though, not sure.

Haven't been to Dai Due, I've heard good things.

Honestly I have a hard time keeping up with the Austin restaurant scene, too many yuppie "restauranteurs" opening places every day.

Half of them are alright, the other half are trash and just a place to be seen.

Kinda killing the vibe of this city for me. But that's a topic for a different thread I think.

cjX1FIQ.jpg

Starting a bit early today with the green tea IPA.

Green tea flavor isn't very overpowering, which is good. Still a nice, fresh and hoppy IPA.

Mainly notice the green tea more towards the end of each drink which is refreshing.

Gotta get my palate used to drinking hoppy summer beers again, been drinking too many porters and stouts.

I'm in town right now and i bought some beer from whichcraft. copped heavy machinery. @brew and brew rn. sitting at the bar with veilance jacket on.