state your beer, drinkers

Had the Hop Rod Rye last night, it was great! The spiciness of the rye really complemented the IPA flavor. I got the second pour from the bomber and unfortunately got a little more yeast and sediment from the pour, but it's hard to complain about a beer like that

Yeah we get a lot of stuff out here, Philly is supposed to be one of the best beer drinking cities in America. I guess it's something we take for granted considering liquor and wine are sold at state stores and beer can only be sold by the case at distributors, except for restaurants and bars can sell sixes and singles, but with a huge mark up. Most everything that one could want is available in the are though, the only beers we don't have that I'd like are: Russian River (only Damnation is available in bottle), Deschutes, Three Floyds, AleSmith

From Bear Republic and in my basement, I've got Big Bear Stout, Racer 5, and Red Rocket.

wr-1.jpg

Great!

Has anyone (probably Vancouverite) ever tried Steamworks Great Pumpkin Ale? It's weird, tastes just like a pint of pumpkin pie..

And I noticed Gulden Draak mentioned above.. Stuff's incredible.

I definitely take the alcohol laws for granted in California, damn.

I went to Toronado in SF yesterday and got destroyed. I had some imperial red that Port Carlsbad made for Toronado, Stone Twelfth Anniversary, Port's Hop-15(amazing on tap!!!), and a hand pump fresh hop ipa from Moonlight called Sublimmmal or something like that. We then played catch in some park down the street where I stepped in dog shit in Spring Courts...

Today we're going back because City Beer Store has '07 Abyss from Deschutes on tap, and we'll be going back to Toronado because there are still good beers I didn't get to try.

Lagunitas is a brewery I love. They have only ever let me down once, with that repugnant Frank Zappa tripel.

If you live within driving distance of San Francisco, run to City Beer Store right now and try the 2007 Abyss on tap. Seriously in the top 5 beers of my life. Best imperial stout. So good.

I just like beer-flavored beer. Keep the fucking fruit away from my beer, dammit.

If one more person offers me some kind of pumpkin-cranberry-hazelnut atrocity in a bottle I think I might have to kill someone.

Had Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA with the fam over thanksgiving and everyone was blown away. Great stuff, it was sweet with fruity phenols up front, the finish was perfect with the herbal hops and bitterness

Just got the new Innis and Gunn rum cask aged, I was a fan of the original, and thought the IPA was an improvement, but wow, serious upgrade to this unique beer.

InnisandGunnrum.jpg

Dark, full bodied flavor, surprisingly easy drinking for how heavy a beer it is. Definitely recommend checking this out if available.

Today was terrific...I have been trying to find anything by Russian River in Long Beach and for the last 2 months or so I have had rotten luck. That ended today when I found 6 Pliny The Elders at Whole Foods. I also picked up Old Rasputin and Cru D'or. When I got home, I figured I should call the higher end bottle shop down the road from me to see if they had seen any new shipments of Russian River and I was in luck again...2 more Plinys, 2 Blind Pigs, 2 Damnations, and a Supplication. I am well stocked and have some decisions to make.

Had Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA with the fam over thanksgiving and everyone was blown away. Great stuff, it was sweet with fruity phenols up front, the finish was perfect with the herbal hops and bitterness

That stuff is pretty good. Looks like 4.0 ate my Thanksgiving post, so-

beer1.JPG

Rogue and Widmer seasonals + Eugene local brewery Ninkasis' red.

found a bottle of walker 12 while i was up north and was given a bottle of the stone holiday pumpkin ale. have not attempted to drink either yet.

for those in san diego or who like alesmith. winter yulesmith is out now which is a imperial red ale. it looks like they also have a casked age numbskull which is their barley wine which should be out next week. not sure if the latter is SD only.

I have not posted since they messed with SuFu, so I have a lot of beer pics accumulated.

A saison from North Coast. They had it at their brewery in Ft. Bragg. It was from '05, but they were still selling it so I figured it should still be good. It was not. It was not the worst old beer I've had, but there was some oxidation.

DSC03856.jpg

Double red from Port Brewing. This was pretty good, but it had a bit more buttery diacetyl than I like, which is to say none. I prefer Lagunitas' mondo large red and imperial red, savory and hoppy.

DSC03858.jpg

This really surprised me. I am officially a fan of Green Flash now. It is on par with the best DIPA's I've had (Pliny the Elder and Hop-15). I also had their DIPA/tripel, Le Freak the other day, which was also amazing.

DSC03859.jpg

An oldie but a goodie

DSC03860.jpg

This one surprised me. Sake cask aged, but you wouldn't know it. Tasted nothing like I thought it would. It tasted like a geuze or wild ale.

DSC03884.jpg

A brettanomyces beer from Ommegang. This is a subtle sour beer, if you ever need to try to convert someone to them.

DSC03893.jpg

This was a good beer. Imperial porter brewed with coffee and chocolate and a percentage bourbon barrel aged. It all blended very harmoniously and was delicious with the steak.

DSC03875.jpg

I seem have stumbled upon a pretty constant stream of Pliny the Elder...I am a lucky bastard. Now the challenge is to find other beers worth drinking. Cru D'or from North Coast has been a pleasant surprise, and I just picked up Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, but I haven't tried it yet.

Sometime next week, I am making the trek to San Diego and hitting up the Stone Brewery. I need to make some room in the fridge!

finally found a place with pliny on tap in SD, and found a few more places stocking it but they are charging about 6 to 7 for a pint. also got to try the casked aged stunna shade stout by port, all i can say is damn. worth a try if you find it on tap.

tmad if you make it down to San Diego theres a bunch of places you should check out along with stone such as alesmith, pizza port, hamiltons, and neighborhood.

finally found a place with pliny on tap in SD, and found a few more places stocking it but they are charging about 6 to 7 for a pint. also got to try the casked aged stunna shade stout by port, all i can say is damn. worth a try if you find it on tap.

tmad if you make it down to San Diego theres a bunch of places you should check out along with stone such as alesmith, pizza port, hamiltons, and neighborhood.

Thanks for the advice...it sounds like I should try to make it to San Diego more often. If my local Whole Foods is any indication, you might want to buddy up with someone in the Beer and Wine department at yours because mine is receiving a case of Pliny or Blind Pig each week.

I am jealous^. I just had my bottle of Beatification by Russian River last night. This was damn good. Easily in my top 5 beers. It's spontaneoulsy fermented like a lambic, and aged in oak barrels. It looked beautiful and had the smell and taste a true funky sour beer lover craves most. Sour lemons, ripe aged cheese, and barnyard funk all the way.

Tonight was Judgement day by Lost Abbey, a quad brewed with raisins, Unibroue's 17th anniversary beer, and Lindeman's Cuvee Renee geuze. The 17th was amazing. A year did it good. It had characteristics of a belgian spiced ale, a dubbel, and a gnarly american imperial stout. Pics to come...