Iron Heart Jeans

Guest Guy H

Hi, sorry only have net access at work at the moment hence the delay replying. The actual waist measurement is closer to 33" than 34. Following up the excellent service already I've been offered to swap for the 36" waist. I've decided to do this as I just can't see these jeans stretching anywhere near as much as my APC's.

I'll sort more pics ASAP.

I spent a lot of of money on booze, birds and

fast cars. The rest I just squandered - George Best

Quote:

Hi, sorry only have net access at work at the moment hence the delay replying. The actual waist measurement is closer to 33" than 34. Following up the excellent service already I've been offered to swap for the 36" waist. I've decided to do this as I just can't see these jeans stretching anywhere near as much as my APC's.

I'll sort more pics ASAP.

--- Original message by Guy H on Aug 23, 2005 12:49 AM

thanks, I'm getting a 36" pair. icon_smile.gif

Quote:

Hey heavy, it looks like the boot cut jeans have a lower rise, Is that true?

--- Original message by Serge d Nimes on Aug 23, 2005 09:26 PM

Seems to be the case, yes. It goes like this: non-selvage straight cut has the highest rise (10.2" for a size 34); selvage straight cut has the middle (9.4" for 34); bootcut has lowest (9.1" for 34). All pretty damn low rise!

Also, I wonder whether a length of 88cm (33.86 inches) is really going to be long enough for many people (especially after shrinkage), particularly those who like to turn up an inch or two at the bottom. A 36 inch standard length would probably be more suitable for the European market.

I think the mark-up is fair, by the way. If you try to import these things directly yourself you will find there are all kinds of charges -- foreign exchange fees, bank transfer fees (on both sides), shipping costs, customs duty (although sometimes you get lucky) --- which really add up. I don't think Heavy Denim is charging a fortune, all things considered.

takashi

Edited by takashi on Aug 24, 2005 at 04:22 AM

Takashi - Thank you for your comments. I will be carrying a greater range of sizes once I have determined how large the demand will be. Currently we stop at waist 36". I am considering both 38" and 40", I am also likely to get alternative leg lengths made, maybe 32" in the smaller waist sizes and 36" and possible 38" in the larger waist sizes. What do you think?

The ones I have at the moment are fine in the leg length when I tried them on and I'm 6'2". I don't however wear them with a cuff. I think you should look to stock the 36" leg length especially in the Selvedge line. icon_smile.gif

Mmm.. yes the sizing will probably have to be adjusted for the larger body-types in the west, especially since the actual sizes already run slightly smaller than stated. I would have thought offering 28-40 for mens' waists in a 36-inch standard length would do. For women, 26-34 with 33-inch length would probably do also. I'm not completly convinced by the need for alternative leg lengths.

I think they are attractive jeans: the denim weight, the massive belt-through leather patch, the extra-strength thread used for stitching, the denim wallet-strap accessory, etc, all appeal.

They are more of a low-rise slim-leg jean than a hip-hanging 501-style repro, however, probably suitable for their intended use as motorcycle jeans.

If one is in the mood to quibble, they are missing some nice touches that maybe they should have at this price point: the back pockets are bar-tacked, not rivetted; the buttons and rivets are lacking any design or lettering. The denim itself is very un-slubby --- I can't tell whether the warp and weft yarns are ringspun or not. It appears that to achieve the weight they may have used two strands of double-twisted weft yarn in place of one. Resident experts like ringring could possibly comment.

If one is in the mood to quibble, they are missing some nice touches that maybe they should have at this price point: the back pockets are bar-tacked, not rivetted; the buttons and rivets are lacking any design or lettering. The denim itself is very un-slubby --- I can't tell whether the warp and weft yarns are ringspun or not. It appears that to achieve the weight they may have used two strands of double-twisted weft yarn in place of one.

Regarding if they are ringspun, it's hard to completely sure from the pics, but I think they are. I had always assumed that the denim would be identical to the one used by Studio D'Artisan (at an educated guess, supplied by Kaihara). The yarn used in the main stitching appears to be thinner than the yarn used by Studio D'Artisan.

Either way they are very nice jeans. I imagine production of these will be pretty slow (ie expensive), as not many sewing lines would be able to handle that level of thickness.

I few months ago I was wondering if these could become the next Superfuture-APC. (http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=817&start=151). Props to Heavy Denim for opening up another channel of access to them. I hope they are a big success.

Quote: If one is in the mood to quibble, they are missing some nice touches that maybe they should have at this price point: the back pockets are bar-tacked, not rivetted; the buttons and rivets are lacking any design or lettering. The denim itself is very un-slubby --- I can't tell whether the warp and weft yarns are ringspun or not. It appears that to achieve the weight they may have used two strands of double-twisted weft yarn in place of one. Resident experts like ringring could possibly comment.

21ozselvagestraight164jh.jpg

I ain't no expert but I will comment regardless. The back pockets do have hiden rivets, at least on the selvage version. The denim is un-slubby because they have to use only heavy weight. There's no room for much variation in the 21oz. They say so in their website. I assume both warp and weft are ringspun since the denim is top quality and I've seen 5 dollar jeans that are dual-ringspun. I think they didn't use "two strands of double-twisted weft yarn in place of one", check their website: http://www.works-corp.com/iron/others/index.html

Anyone knows if the front buttons are tall (and difficult to button-up) or easy like APC's?

Edited by Geowu on Aug 24, 2005 at 02:13 PM

The buttons are tall (If I understand what you mean). They are not pivoting like the APC ones.

Right I was sent the 36's which are a better fit for me. Great service once again with the delivery.

I'm a bit apprehensive about posting these pics (awaits the pi55 take!) but I said I would so hopefully they give people an idea of fit. I did not have chance to wear the jeans in a bit so the pics are of them fresh on. I'm sure they will relax in areas etc. You can really feel the thickness in the denim. They will be awesome this winter!

The other jeans in the pics for comparison are my APC English.

DSC00388.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

DSC00404.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00417.jpg

Yeah I'll update them if people are interested.

The pic from the front makes the jeans look a bit sh!t to me but it's because they have had no wear. I'll try and get a better one once I've worn them a couple of times.