Worst major Asian city

coinlockerbaby

Not necessarily, Vietnam is at the bottom when comparing major Asian countries economy wise. One nice city doesn't do justice for the Country's economy if the rest is fucked.

cmon, you're overlooking Laos and Cambodia. Out of Indochina, it's certainly the best right now. Def the emerging asian tiger of the third world, second to bangkok.

I don't know what you are particularly comparing Vietnam on either. It's not like they've had 50 years of unrestricted growth....the embargo was lifted with the states within the last 15 years. As well as the millions who died in the war. It's like comparing Cambodia to Korea....you can't do it at all. The only fair ground is comparing Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam with each other, and Vietnam is certainly the most modernized country...

Vietnam is wild and super cheap. Don't know whats to hate except the noise.

Bangkok is filthy and guilty fun. Don't know whats to hate except the trannies.

Tokyo is even wilder and worth the cash. Don't know what to hate except the train stopping at 12.

KL has some rockin' nightlife and great food.

Shanghai is coming up in the world.

HK weekends are debauchery and a guaranteed hangover.

Seoul is underrated and girls are easy.

Worst asian city? Anywhere in the Phillipines or India.

India.

Things that have chased me in New Delhi:

Indian police officers

Lepers

Bulls

Rabid dogs

Flying cricket bats

Pneumonic diseases

A monkey (that caught up and peed on me)

Racists

Racists on bikes

Racists in cars

A racist leper dressed up as a snake charmer

...and Leprosy

Pros:

Lose weight easily

Get darker

Cons:

Death

Overall, I think the many months I've spent there really developed me physically for shit that wants to kill me. I can run like a Kenyan. If he's had one of his legs cut off.

(Love the motherland, though I'm not very fond of its capital...:/)

That one is actually true. One day, I asked my uncle if we could order some pizza, since I was getting sick of beans n' rice n' dosa for lunch. He told me if I quit being a lazy American and ran 12 laps around the park, he'd get me Dominos. And not that shitty Narulas business...found a roach in my lamb burger once. *shudder*

Anyway, so I thought the park wouldn't be that big since we were in a pretty decently urbanized neighborhood. Turns out I live in the Jungle Book.

So, after a while, I finally finish running, and I'm on my way back home and there's a monkey lurking behind me. I go up to pet it, but it runs away. I shrugged and continued my walk back home...and then I see it again. I start jogging, thinking maybe the monkey is somebody's pet and I didn't want to piss off anyone today. The monkey pounces on me, and, while I lay flat on the dirty sidewalk only a block away from pizza heaven, it urinates on my shirt.

When I got back home, I found an empty pizza box, and my uncle was asleep covered in crumbs in his rocking chair. Oh, and it was Narulas.

I probably shouldn't have even posted that in this thread. I didn't even read the title or the first post.

However, It's just my personal opinion, I can't stand the Vietnamese culture, let alone be surrounded by millions, no thanks.

So wait...have you actually been anywhere in Asia..ever...?

Or was this just a platform for anti-Vietnam tirade?

I thought Beijing was shit...

Then again, I did get some food minor food poisoning there.

i was in ningbo, china which was a great place, but my friend the fucker filled the water bottler with tap water and he comes back with water so i drank that shit, 4 hours later on the bus my stomach feels like its being stabbed by 5,000 knives and zeus stuck his hand in my stomach and pulled it out. turns out i had intestinal inflammation, that shit hurt so bad i would give up all my jeans not to go through that pain again.

like polyrock, saigon is pretty great. i got attacked by a monkey there, youre supposed to pick it up by the neck like a cat. well i picked it up as if you would with a real baby and the monky went bananas on me it was scartching me all over until the owner kicked it off me. little fucker. if you guys want pho check out pho pasteur or the other one called pho 2000 or sumthing. i like nha trang better cuz its less dense and traffic less hectic.

cambodia - thought i was gonna die there these dudes were asking me a shitload of questions i did not understand holding cleavers and machetes in their hands. - accepted a beer and the locals turned out to be nice

tokyo - fucking crowded expensive, nothing really interesting there. shit in america is cheaper

osaka - nice and has vast open fields fresh air not as boxed in as tokyo, also like kansai international airport than narito

thailand - i just dont like the atmosphere too exploitive for my tastes

seoul - went in the winter and it was pretty fucking cold cuz i went there right after saigon, pretty boring wack nightlife where you get drunk and karaoke, no offense but koreans need to learn how to be more friendly

india - fuck that shit, went with my friend to visit his family during 10th grade, once again fuck that shit

hong kong - have family there way too fucking hot in the summer - nice place to chill out though

cmon, you're overlooking Laos and Cambodia. Out of Indochina, it's certainly the best right now. Def the emerging asian tiger of the third world, second to bangkok.

I don't know what you are particularly comparing Vietnam on either. It's not like they've had 50 years of unrestricted growth....the embargo was lifted with the states within the last 15 years. As well as the millions who died in the war. It's like comparing Cambodia to Korea....you can't do it at all. The only fair ground is comparing Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam with each other, and Vietnam is certainly the most modernized country...

It's gotta be an amazing time to be in Vietnam as the country transitions between the old-school communist line of politics/media/control and the growing pains from the country's recent entrepreneurial boom and emerging economy. Current GDP growth rates (pushing 9%) are twice as high as Thailand's (measely 4.4%). Tons of foreign direct investment is coming into the country. Lots of cross-border activity going on between Vietnam and Thailand, Japan, China and US right now.

If China and Korea and Malaysia are considered emerging markets, then Vietnam is considered a frontier market: a completely different animal altogether.

If you want to have a good time in cities in Laos, Cambodia, Burma/Myanmar and Vietnam, I think you need to have an certain appetite for risk and a wanderlust to leave the "reservation", so to speak. Sure, Vietnam is decades behind from catching up with the rest of Asia-Pac, but it's definitely in motion right now. And I can't think of a better time to be in the middle of all the action.

Interesting that Beijing is getting no love ...

I was studying there about five years ago - so I guess thats like 15 years ago in China Years - and even before the whole Olympics hype kicked in, it felt crazy. There was energy crackling in the air. I felt like I was in the middle of stuff happening, and that the city was tranforming itself around me. So I guess that part of why I liked it.I remember being surprised by the nightlife too- a really kicking techno club and dudes breakdancing in another place.

Also, the Summer palace was just amazing. And The Forbidden City was interesting, and there were some nice parks...although sure there are shittier sights too, like the godamned Ming Tombs shit...

Having said that- yeah the people are crazy rude, the food veered from fabulous to horseshit with no middle ground, its polluted as hell, and either too hot/too cold or too sandy and as a white guy wandering around in the Muslim district I Have NEVER felt more watched, or unwelcome, anywhere - I got a real "who the FUCK are you?' vibe.

I wouldnt choose it to live in it, but definitely a worthwhile visit I'd say. Whereas with Shanghai - why bother?

So what exactly does Jakarta bring to the table other than grime and rough'n'readiness ?

Im just asking because I really have no idea....What would you say are the good things about jakarta?

i think jakarta would be a great city without all the traffic jams goin on now, i personally think this city has everything, shopping, food, nighlife, cheap, etc. i just hate its overcrowded and traffic

i was in kuala lumpur as a kid and i remember it smelling bad everywhere. the zoo there was nuts too. all kinds of crazy cross breeding going on.

Did you see the infamous Liger?

If you're in Jakarta check out their shopping malls. It's nuts there. First time I've seen metal detectors at McDonalds and car searches as you pass into parking garages. They even have a Walmart-like store but a lot cheaper.

Can't find any liquor stores around due to it being "haram" and it's tough being an infidel there but its an adventure.

Did you see the infamous Liger?

If you're in Jakarta check out their shopping malls. It's nuts there. First time I've seen metal detectors at McDonalds and car searches as you pass into parking garages. They even have a Walmart-like store but a lot cheaper.

Can't find any liquor stores around due to it being "haram" and it's tough being an infidel there but its an adventure.

jakarta: "kota seribu mal" aka city of a thousand malls.

seriously a new megamall is built like every week there.

• 8 months later...
I have to say Kuala Lumpur. Its probably the influence of islam that everything is so strict and regulated. I prefer more chaotic places like hk or bkk.

earlier today: islamic group urges malaysian gov to cancel avril lavigne concert >>

moved back here a few months ago and still cant get a grip of kl. the traffic is terrible, city planning is disastrous with an awful mass transit system.

i miss google map directions but people here dont use it here. somehow everyone already knows how to get to places. basically if you've never been here, you have to ask people how to get to places.

i was an ace driver in la but since i got back here, i never really wanted to drive. i dont know how people here manage to drive without getting into accidents all the time. imagine three cars plus a motorcycle fitting in a two lane way. people here like to merge into your lane when they're right next to your car and dont even signal.

i'm not saying that i'm all that fashionable but i feel that the fashion world here is kinda lame (the guys at least). people who work in the office either dont have any taste whatsoever or they just dont give a shit about dressing up. the guys like to wear oversized dress shirts and the shoulder seams always droop down an inch or two down.

somehow people here glorify fast food as something trendy and represents wealth. what's sad is that stuff like mcdonalds, kfc, el pollo locco, wendy's, chilli's, starbucks and other chained american restaurants get placed in good shopping malls. i love fast food but only when im really starving or drunk or in need of food really fast.

in terms of food, so far what i have observed in kl is that there's either really expensive sit downs, overpriced fast food places and really cheap sidewalk stalls that i dont think are really that hygenic. i havent been to a food place thats moderately priced with decently good food.

ive only been back a few months and now im ready to travel to singapore or hk. blarrgh enough emo ranting it's 5.30am and i still cant sleep.

somehow people here glorify fast food as something trendy and represents wealth. what's sad is that stuff like mcdonalds, kfc, el pollo locco, wendy's, chilli's, starbucks and other chained american restaurants get placed in good shopping malls. i love fast food but only when im really starving or drunk or in need of food really fast.

Ha hah. I worked in the Menara Citibank building for several months and the two places you COULD NOT get into around lunch time were A&W, and KFC. They love that shit.