High Fashion Mountaineering Boots...

RAISED BY WOLVES

So I am looking for quality snow boots for NYC type of winter blizzards.

i skipped on the large Sorels and Bean boots.

even thought i know how great they are, I am sort guy, and they are kinda bulky on me with my slim fits, and can kinda look a tad girlish on me in my most honest opinion. I know many swear by them, and i can agree

i am a city boy, and never had to own this kind of mountain boot, so it is something out of my league.

so i have started to look at mountain boots, from danner, viberg, diemme, ect.. ect..

this thread has been great education..

and so may i pleas ask your opinions, advice and recommendations..

I was wondering if these kind of mountain boot, could be a good alliterative for when the slush and snow is just nasty..

do they offer insulation and keep feet warm with a proper wool sock?

are they waterproofed at all?

dose having them in a "rough out" leather make sense for this kind of boot?

i just don't want to start researching trying to find sizes that are optimal, geaking out and eventually drop $300-500 on a pair of mounting boots that i plan to use primarily for really bad weather, and find out in the real world they not be able to offer up similar qualities to a Sorel or Bean boot.

thank you for any advice and recommendations.

So I am looking for quality snow boots for NYC type of winter blizzards.

i skipped on the large Sorels and Bean boots.

even thought i know how great they are, I am sort guy, and they are kinda bulky on me with my slim fits, and can kinda look a tad girlish on me in my most honest opinion. I know many swear by them, and i can agree

i am a city boy, and never had to own this kind of mountain boot, so it is something out of my league.

so i have started to look at mountain boots, from danner, viberg, diemme, ect.. ect..

this thread has been great education..

and so may i pleas ask your opinions, advice and recommendations..

I was wondering if these kind of mountain boot, could be a good alliterative for when the slush and snow is just nasty..

do they offer insulation and keep feet warm with a proper wool sock?

are they waterproofed at all?

dose having them in a "rough out" leather make sense for this kind of boot?

i just don't want to start researching trying to find sizes that are optimal, geaking out and eventually drop $300-500 on a pair of mounting boots that i plan to use primarily for really bad weather, and find out in the real world they not be able to offer up similar qualities to a Sorel or Bean boot.

thank you for any advice and recommendations.

I suggest if you go for a mountaineering style boot I suggest getting one made of full grain leather. This type of leather can be treated with mink oil or other types of leather treatment. A boot with suede leather will soak up water from snow. I live in Vermont and wear this style of boot quite often in the winter. They work great as long as the snow is not too deep. Good luck. I really like Diemme and Fracap

thank you gazeboarder,

yup the full grain leather side makes mores sense in snow environments..

i think i need to find a classic mountaineering style boot that offers insulations material to keep feet warm sounds like the key ingredient i am looking for now.

thank you

thank you gazeboarder,

yup the full grain leather side makes mores sense in snow environments..

i think i need to find a classic mountaineering style boot that offers insulations material to keep feet warm sounds like the key ingredient i am looking for now.

thank you

You just need to find ones like these Diemme Inverno Vet boots in full grain leather.

http://caliroots.com/c-store/product.asp?id=24397

http://www.norsestore.com/commodity/11576

Cool, that more or less answers my question, as I was asking in a round about way basically how stiff the shank in the boot was. I'm familiar enough with other Italian made hiking boots, and they're definitely built for use, but I was unsure of if Fracap wasmaking true hiking boots or something that was just 'high fashion' as it were.

The weight difference vs expected is probably fiberglass vs steel shank, it saves a lot of weight, while sacrificing none of the stiffness.

edit: out of rep

I have a pair of the Diemme Roccia Vet boots in the blue in size 45. I love these boots. I wish they made a size 44.5. The 44 is a little too small and the 45 is a little big. I normally wear a size 11 in most shoes and sneakers. The leather on the inside cuff is really nice. I purchased mine from Oi Polloi through their website. I had no issue with customs shipping to the USA.

DiemmeRocciaVetBlue1.jpg

DiemmeRocciaVetBlue2.jpg

DiemmeRocciaVetBlue3.jpg

http://www.oipolloi.com/Store/OiPolloi-DisplayBrands-234-diemme.html

... I'm familiar enough with other Italian made hiking boots, and they're definitely built for use, but I was unsure of if Fracap wasmaking true hiking boots or something that was just 'high fashion' as it were....

I think most of the footwear brands mentioned in this thread are making "true" hiking boots, but a lot of the styles in this thread have city soles and are consequently not meant to use for trail hiking and certainly not mountaineering. The Cristy sole, for instance, is commonly chosen for it's great flexibility and lightness, and is rather meant for the challenges of the city. If you are actually going hiking, I would rather go for a more modern trekking/mountaineering boot that looks like shit.

does anybody have the link to that danner outlet webshop? with all the really cheap danners? wooo

I don't think that exists, unless you count Ebay?

I'm interested in this inquiry as well. Anyone know what he's referring to?^^^

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. Remember me?

Hey guys. Remember Russell Moccasins?

Hey guys. Looky what I got fresh out the mailbox the other day!

RusMoc0-1.jpg

Details:

Model: Short PH Boot, standard Short PH height: 4.5"

Color and Material: Green Chamois Uppers (and everywhere except *), *Green Canvas Quarters and Gusset, *Tan Chamois Trim, Gusset Trim, Eyelet Section, and Rear Section

Lace Eyelets: Antique Gunmetal

Laces: Green Taslon (they look navy in the photos for some weird reason)

-Wedge: 1/4"

-Sole: Vibram Newporter