TOP 10 RULES TO BUYING HIGH END DENIM

dagsolo

oh the rule is there are no rules

if you are comfortable and confident

than thats all that matters

i dont care about seams i care about fit

but are your parents really dressing you?

out to tax...

Quote:

oh the rule is there are no rules

if you are comfortable and confident

than thats all that matters

i dont care about seams i care about fit

but are your parents really dressing you?

--- Original message by hypnotic on Aug 12, 2005 08:28 AM

hyp- no, no , no. My parents aren't still dressing me.

I was using a metaphor.

Thank you all for your input and opinions.

I think I'm looking at doing following:

1. Buying straight-leg, boot cut jeans (Levi's 501's)

2. Not using any more metaphors.

3. Losing weight!

Thanks fellow ST'ers!!!!!

Can I ask you something? These sunglasses: they're really nice. Are they like government issue, or do you guys all go to the same store together?

Quote: 1. Buying straight-leg, boot cut jeans (Levi's 501's)

You will be sorely disappointed when you buy Levi's 501 and realize that they are neither straight-leg, nor boot-cut.

Dry Boot-Cut jeans can be found from:

Nudie

Acne

Studio D'Artisan

G-Star

Denime..

I suck at impromptu lists, but that's a good place to start.

• 1 year later...

Number 6 is too funny.

It's true though, it's basically a sin.

okay well

1) complexions rarely, if ever, matter

2) stay away from bubbly cuts with big flares (i.e. Seven)

3) try it on

4) if you're tall, bootcut, straight, tapered are all okay

5) if you're short, tapered is out

6) don't buy true religion

7) don't wear dress shirts with jeans - i dont care if GQ says "you can dress them up or down"

8) if you're skinny, you can wear anything pretty much

9) overly embellished jeans are going to bore you very quickly, especially if you're new to the denim market, it will just force you to buy more (i.e. Antik, True Relgion, Notify)

10) lowered back pockets are +++

those are the basics. #6 is very important.

Calling someoneout on denim is by far the lamest thing i have ever read on this board. seriously wow, i hope it happend cause this is what would go down.

sufu-nerdlinger

"ugh hey, way to pose with those nice factory honey combs"

average peron

"wtf are you talking"

sufu-nerdlinger

"I had to work on mine for 6 months, and you just bought yours from the gap"

ap

"loser"

i would love to see you guys do that to some ambercrombie and fitch dudes, actually i would pay to see. im sure with the exception of a few (guys who weigh more then there sisters), they would just laugh in your face.

However, please feel free to substitute a classic oxford, seersucker, or poplin dress shirt

Not dress shirts. All of those are considered casual shirts, except perhaps the poplin dress shirt, which is one of the only cases where you don't look stupid in a dress shirt and jeans. But even then, it's gotta look casual (i.e. not too long, slim in the arms and darted back) like something from Costume National.

A dress shirt is generally one with a longer, more spread collar, a smooth, solid fabric, and is meant for formal situations. French cuffs, no pockets, no button-down collars, simple fabrics, extra LONG because it's meant to be tucked in, etc. Ever driven by a club with a cover charge and a dress code? Tons of dudes wearing baggy long shirts that look like pillow cases. That's what you want to avoid.

It's cool though, I remember when I was still in 5th grade I thought everything with a collar and buttons on it was a dress shirt so I won't get on your case like you're getting on mine.

To the person who scoffed at "bootcut, no tapered," I got a good laugh from that. Short people, especially of the slightly pudgier variety tend to look like they've got two sausages attached to their hips when wearing tapered jeans. Consider that not everyone has the physique to wear tapered jeans, and if you recommend them to someone who's a newbie they might go out and make a huge mistake. I wear tapered, skinny jeans, but I'm tallish and skinny.

Also, bootcut is a very loose definition. Traditionally it means a straight leg wide enough to fit over boots, though they can flare to some degree. Look at 5EPs, which have a wider leg opening than the knee length, yet are subtle and flattering.

You may be more concerned with what fit is most popular at the moment, but consider the fact that more popular on the runway does not mean more flattering on the average person.

Damn, I feel like LA Guy. :D

Not dress shirts. All of those are considered casual shirts, except perhaps the poplin dress shirt, which is one of the only cases where you don't look stupid in a dress shirt and jeans. But even then, it's gotta look casual (i.e. not too long, slim in the arms and darted back) like something from Costume National.

A dress shirt is generally one with a longer, more spread collar, a smooth, solid fabric, and is meant for formal situations. French cuffs, no pockets, no button-down collars, simple fabrics, extra LONG because it's meant to be tucked in, etc. Ever driven by a club with a cover charge and a dress code? Tons of dudes wearing baggy long shirts that look like pillow cases. That's what you want to avoid.

It's cool though, I remember when I was still in 5th grade I thought everything with a collar and buttons on it was a dress shirt so I won't get on your case like you're getting on mine.

To the person who scoffed at "bootcut, no tapered," I got a good laugh from that. Short people, especially of the slightly pudgier variety tend to look like they've got two sausages attached to their hips when wearing tapered jeans. Consider that not everyone has the physique to wear tapered jeans, and if you recommend them to someone who's a newbie they might go out and make a huge mistake. I wear tapered, skinny jeans, but I'm tallish and skinny.

Also, bootcut is a very loose definition. Traditionally it means a straight leg wide enough to fit over boots, though they can flare to some degree. Look at 5EPs, which have a wider leg opening than the knee length, yet are subtle and flattering.

You may be more concerned with what fit is most popular at the moment, but consider the fact that more popular on the runway does not mean more flattering on the average person.

well of course you need the body for tapered jeans, ever see alot of girls who wear them now in public, (since you dont see them on too many guys yet in public), most of them do not have the bodies for it

Well said.

I always thought that dress shirts are anything that has buttons and a collar with simple, but silky sort of fabric.