TOP 10 RULES TO BUYING HIGH END DENIM

dagsolo

I'm looking for more specifics like:

If you're tall you look for....

If your short you look for....

Light complexion people should wear....

Dark complexion's are complimented by....

If you're hooking up with a tee, you should...

If you're matching to a dress shirt......

Guys and Girls both welcome to reply

Can I ask you something? These sunglasses: they're really nice. Are they like government issue, or do you guys all go to the same store together?

okay well

1) complexions rarely, if ever, matter

2) stay away from bubbly cuts with big flares (i.e. Seven)

3) try it on

4) if you're tall, bootcut, straight, tapered are all okay

5) if you're short, tapered is out

6) don't buy true religion

7) don't wear dress shirts with jeans - i dont care if GQ says "you can dress them up or down"

8) if you're skinny, you can wear anything pretty much

9) overly embellished jeans are going to bore you very quickly, especially if you're new to the denim market, it will just force you to buy more (i.e. Antik, True Relgion, Notify)

10) lowered back pockets are +++

those are the basics. #6 is very important.

thanks for the replies,

i am asking more for things like hems, cuffs,

brands for going out, brands for hanging out.

(why NO true religion?)

what color kicks/ shoes with which washes.

think of me as your 22 year old son still being dressed by Mom and Dad. : )

Can I ask you something? These sunglasses: they're really nice. Are they like government issue, or do you guys all go to the same store together?

Quote:

i am asking more for things like hems, cuffs,

elaborate. I'm not sure what you're asking here. You can wear your jeans hemmed or cuffed, it's up to you. Pull up the bottom of your jeans - if you think it looks bad, flip it back down. You should only cuff selvage jeans though or at least those with a clean outseam.

Quote:

brands for going out, brands for hanging out.

Well, my general rule is that I wear lighter weight jeans going out because I like to go dancing a lot. Brand doesn't matter as much, but I would generally wear more embellished jeans when I'm going out (Nudie in my case). Hanging out, it doesn't really matter. There are no good "hanging out" jeans that aren't good "going out" jeans and vice versa, aside from the fact that I mentioned earlier, which is essentially comfort.

Quote:

(why NO true religion?)

gostore_1857_68433917 That's why.

Quote: what color kicks/ shoes with which washes.

All/all. They're jeans, not dress pants. You can get away with basically any shoes with any jeans, but don't be stupid and wear clunky square-toed Kenneth Coles or something of the same nature. If you wear nice shoes, make sure they're rugged, punk or mod looking. Boots are a +, especially John Varvatos, Costume National, RM Williams. A lot of people on here wear skate shoes. Not my thing, but you can do it. Generally though, Slim leg = slim shoe. Wide leg = wide shoe.

Quote: think of me as your 22 year old son still being dressed by Mom and Dad. : )

well then you should get out there and get familiarized with as many brands as possible. Don't just pick up a pair, look a the price tag and put it away. rule #4 (i think it was 4) - try it on. There are a ton of stores on the SuperFuture main page that have excellent reviews and descriptions as well as addresses. Check some of those places out and just look through everything you can find. Fuck the salespeople, just try on as much as you want.

Edited by wild_whiskey on Aug 11, 2005 at 12:35 PM

Quote: also, what cuts favor different body types?

I believe rules 5 and 6 answer this.

if you have a weird ass, don't buy jeans that are tight on the ass (earnest sewn). Look for some that have pockets with a wider placement. if you have bodybuilder thighs, don't get tapered jeans. don't pull up your jeans past where they're supposed to go. The worst thing ever is some dope wearing jeans with a 9" rise pulled all the way up to their bellies. they're jeans, they should hang a little.

Edited by wild_whiskey on Aug 11, 2005 at 12:39 PM

WOW, thank you wild_whiskey.

what jean would you recommend for Turtle from Entourage?

That's sort of my body-type (can you hear the stampede of women?). LOL

Quote:
Quote:

WOW, thank you wild_whiskey.

what jean would you recommend for Turtle from Entourage?

That's sort of my body-type (can you hear the stampede of women?). LOL

--- Original message by dagsolo on Aug 11, 2005 01:06 PM

hahaha...It took a lot to admit that.

--- Original message by thedonger on Aug 11, 2005 01:22 PM

Fuck it!

Turtle's the guy I'd be if that were me and my boys.

Looking for food & women, no pressure.

Quote:

most important: quality, i first look if it's selvage, if it's not i usually don't buy it,

then obvious things like good wash, do they fit nice, look good with your sneakers and tee and like feel comfortable to wear

--- Original message by RobbertJan on Aug 11, 2005 11:08 AM

I have non-selvage denim in my closet thats gonna beat what your selvage stuff 7 days a week.

Some of the most excellent Evisu, Denime, LVC Japan, Kurabo denim is non-selvage, and is still crazy. Its the feel of the denim, not that freaking edge all the time.

MAD YOUNG MAN

I saw some kickass jeans a few months ago at stackhouse that were non-selvage but felt amazing. The more people hype selvage jeans, the more companies will exploit this new trend and inflate the market with bullshit "selvage" jeans.

I also agree with the whole "don't give a fuck about the salesperson." I was down in haight st a few days ago trying on some stuff and the staff gave me negative looks after I walked out of the changing room w/ 6 things w/o buying them. Who cares about them.

I remember reading somewhere that people with a rectangular/average body shape should get straight-leg jeans, whereas people with a "V" shape (big shoulders/chest and narrow hips) look best in tapered jeans.

Don't remember anything being said about bootcuts, but using the same line of reasoning, I'd imagine people with a bigger lower body would look best in those.

I used to be a "selvage only" type of guy a couple of years ago, but I don't subscribe to that anymore. I think at one time I had about 35 pairs of selvage jeans. The probelm is that a lot of thoe jeans don't fit and a lot don't have very good indigo. I wear boot cuts and even bellbottoms (levi 646) these days and they are made with fantastic denim. I think the older Levis Boot cut jeans were made with selvage denim anyway. I think back pocket shape is very important! They have to be in proportion to the fit and look of the jean. For example, some wide leg high back rise jeans like 2003 Levis RED I have look great with big ass pockets, and APC with slim legs looks great with smaller pockets. Levis 505 from the 60's have way too big of back pockets for the fit of the jean. I agree that if you are tall and skinny, you can be very flexible with fit. If you are short and skinny, go for boot cut and bells! If you are stocky, go for a 501 style jean.

Carpe Denim!

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG

Quote: I saw some kickass jeans a few months ago at stackhouse that were non-selvage but felt amazing. The more people hype selvage jeans, the more companies will exploit this new trend and inflate the market with bullshit "selvage" jeans.

I also agree with the whole "don't give a fuck about the salesperson." I was down in haight st a few days ago trying on some stuff and the staff gave me negative looks after I walked out of the changing room w/ 6 things w/o buying them. Who cares about them.

hahaaahaah

I like this guys mindset

Quote: somebody forgot the rule of buy what you like and not what you can bandwagon on.

this guy too

Edited by jjs home on Aug 11, 2005 at 11:20 PM