yves st. laurent.

red

what can you tell me about the label, apart from whats already on wikipedia. my dad used to have some ysl belts (and he's not into fashion at all), so ive always thought they were very corporate. like an upscale tommy hill.

hows the quality?

rive gauche is to ysl as prorsum is to burberry correct?

hows the quality on the more mainstream stuff? many of the pieces ive seen were made in italy, so im expecting at least mediocre quality.

are the mainline suits canvased? you can find them rather cheap, so im not expecting too much.

Tom Ford helped revive YSL. They declined to a Pierre Cardin-like level in the early 90's. Sure, they have some great avant-garde DH type pieces, but overall they are an overpriced European luxury brand. You're paying for the name and can equate their suits/shoe quality, etc. to any other brand you would see on Rodeo: Gucci, Ferragamo, Prada. Save your money for real suit & shoemakers....

They had declined into a Pierre Cardin-like association in the early 90's, a long fall from their reputation in the past of being the cream of the crop.

Keep that in mind with ebay and thrift stuff--YSL was waaaaay over-licensed in the 80s. Pierre Cardin is a good analogy; I used to see poly-blend YSL ties all the time when thrifting.

For more history, there's an interesting (but slooow moving) documentary called "Yves Saint Laurent--His Life and Times" available. Mostly lengthy interview clips--in French with subtitles that are occasionally poorly translated.

I like how the stuff I find on the 'Bay fits me from YSL... presumably since it can be had for so cheap, it's stuff from this period in the brand's history and hence "undesirable" by afficianados.

However, I find that they cut a great, slimmer fitting shirt (I'm wearing a YSL pinstripe button down right now and I've been dying to find another on the 'Bay).

Tom Ford helped revive YSL. They declined to a Pierre Cardin-like level in the early 90's. Sure, they have some great avant-garde DH type pieces, but overall they are an overpriced European luxury brand. You're paying for the name and can equate their suits/shoe quality, etc. to any other brand you would see on Rodeo: Gucci, Ferragamo, Prada. Save your money for real suit & shoemakers....

Ford revived the womens line from a commercial perspective but if you're talking menswear it's all about Hedi Slimane. There wasn't that much of a marked difference in quality / pricepoint / distribution between his Rive Gauche collections and Dior Homme (once you correct for inflation and fluctuations in the currency market). Most of the major Rive Gauche menswear accounts dropped it once Slimane left (at least in NYC) so actually I have no idea where they are now in terms of designs.

Gucci is a cut below all those above in quality, it pretty much defines eurotrash.

Pilati has taken the label in a very "european old money on a resort" direction, some of it works pretty well but probably not if you're a college student in the US....

I'd look at the collections before deciding if I'm interested or not. You'll also note that even when a season is crap (see last season) if always look perfect when Pilati wears it, that guy IS YSL now.

• 4 weeks later...

What would be more infinitely better if they had let Slimane back on. His YSL Rive Gauche collections were my favorite.

I mean, size Larges that fit like size Smalls?

That's elitism there. No man with a size 44 chest should be wearing Dior Homme.

Otherwise, I would be more hopeful for a YSL that went back to its '70s roots--wide lapels and flashy shirts. A lot of that Coke & Sex Fuck You business.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone else catch the article on tfs of mr. yves talking about tom? haha!

..."I think he has a lot of talent for, what do you call it, marketing. But he never showed interest in the archives," Saint Laurent said of Ford,...'The sadomasochism -- it became unbearable,' he added. "

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f60/yves-saint-laurent-tom-ford-3415.html#post75551

anyone else catch the article on tfs of mr. yves talking about tom? haha!

..."I think he has a lot of talent for, what do you call it, marketing. But he never showed interest in the archives," Saint Laurent said of Ford,...'The sadomasochism -- it became unbearable,' he added. "

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f60/yves-saint-laurent-tom-ford-3415.html#post75551

It's widely known that YSL and Berge skipped Ford's debut at YSL for Slimane's show at Dior.