Rugby World Cup

backinthetrees

No one here watches rugby?

England vs Australia just ended

Oz was waaaaaaaaaaay too hot headed for the game.. even George Gregan who is usually pretty calm was owned by his emotions..playing the ball off side? WTF.

England deserved to win, and im glad to see wilkinson back on the field.

if France beats NZ later (the whole N. Hemisphere will laugh at the South).. im pretty sure it'll be a NZ vs England final tho.

thoughts?

Oz was waaaaaaaaaaay too hot headed for the game.. even George Gregan who is usually pretty calm was owned by his emotions..playing the ball off side? WTF.

if France beats NZ later (the whole N. Hemisphere will laugh at the South).. im pretty sure it'll be a NZ vs England final tho.

thoughts?

thoughts?

looks like the whole N hemipshere is laughing at the south.

so much for the non black all blacks. what an anti climax.

im actually upset, cause nz played beautifully.

fiji to win.

well............... i think the north and south play rugby very differently.. it has come to a point where the south plays it more sevens style, with 15 players across the breadth, constantly looking for gaps in the defence. trying to keep the ball alive, etc

as a result, we see alot less typical forward play, 3Q line runs, which i personally enjoy, and the north has been doing that for me, so im in support..

having said that, the southern style is more "effective" in winning games.. and i am so surprised that NZ won... shits gone insane.

having said that, the southern style is more "effective" in winning games.. and i am so surprised that NZ won... shits gone insane.

Nz lost

haha

The Southern Style makes the game much better to watch

but saying that

The Northern Style uses more of the entire team as an attacking unit

as opposed to the south which is more about individual moments of brillance

Fucking hell I was euphoric yesterday, though the mass quantities of beer may have helped in that respect.

As to the NH vs SH style of play yesterday, the two SH sides showed severe tactical naivity, particularly New Zealand who France suckered into playing a game based around territorial kicking and pick-and-drive attacks which, nearly 180 tackles later, France were still completely adept at dealing with.

While NZ were undone by playing straight into the hands of a French side with their tails up, I think any of the top 6 sides would have dismantled Australia's pack yesterday... from 1 to 8 Australia were a frail bunch of weaklings that any of their major rivals would have torn to shreds, not just England's bruisers. George Smith, supposedly the second best back-rower in the world was made to look like a muppet by a back 3 completely inferior to England's 2003 lineup of Hill-Back-Dallaglio (the first two admittedly being perhaps the best flanker pairing in rugby history, to give some credit to the present players).

On evidence of the Saffas performance just now, and considering the fact that the French will be playing in Paris from now on I suspect it will take a hell of a performance to stop Les Bleus.

fuck england

dont be so sore.

How the hell would it have possibly been an NZ-England final? Did you actually look at the fixtures list?

i did.. saw wrongly, fooool.

i like it that england really managed to keep their composure, repeatedly agitating australia into giving away penalties, etc etc.

what a sexay world cup.

I watched the France/NZ game today, though American TV sucks at showing rugby. Commercial breaks every 5 minutes, 2 minutes here and there disappeared for no reason and the game was not in direct, but I really enjoyed it. It was a great game. I haven't seen any of the others, but I'll have to find a way to watch England/France.

Picking up a forward pass that went only a couple of yards between 2 players running at full tilt is pretty damn hard.

Asides from that, it should have been the touch judge on the near side's call. The referee has more to worry about than running in line with the ball to call forward passes.

I take your point but if the touch judge can keep pace with Michalak then he should be playing not officiating...

Though I'm English I've always admired NZ rugby and found myself screaming at the TV (and Barnes) on Saturday.