How many pieces of one type of clothing should a person have?

jake snake

I'm starting to clean out my closet, and I'm having troubled deciding how much crap I should keep. I'm tempted to just keep whatever I feel like, but I have a huge overstuffed closet for a reason.

How much clothing do you own? Do you own lots of one type of clothing (t shirts), or bunch of different crap (suits, parkas, hard shells) that you use on certain occasions? I'm in Los Angeles, so I kind of feel like I should have less clothing than most people here because I don't really need cold wealth clothing.

I have a feeling that if I give a list of things I consider essentials...your closet clean-up will turn into a shopping trip...but oh well.

I have maybe 10 t-shirts, 6 pairs of jeans, 3 pairs of sneakers, 2 pairs of dress shoes, two pair of boots, two suits, 3 or 4 dress shirts, 4 or 5 polo shirts, 3 or 4 casual longsleeve button-up shirts, 5 or 6 pairs of dress pants, 2 pairs of chinos, 3 rainshells, one parka, one long wool winter coat, one wool fall coat, 2 or 3 blazers, 2 sweatshirts, 3 springs coats, a few hats, a fleece jacket. That about sums it up.

Does that help?

Personally I have well over 100 T shirts

I have like 20 pairs of jeans, but only wear 3-4

About 20 sweaters

2 Suits

15 dress shirts

3-4 longsleeve button downs

5 blazers or so

4 pairs of dress shoes

20 sneakers

and a few jackets

i need more jackets

3 pairs of dress pants

3 pairs of chinos

3 belts

i like to have more than the guy below me, i kind of don't like wearing the same exact thing more than once every 3 months or so

being my list said

i need some boots

maybe another suit

some more sneakers

and lots more jackets...

i think having a ton of clothing at one point is a good way to find out what you like, and what fits your body best...

I at one point had probably eight times the amount of clothes I have now, but I primarily sold off everything I didn't find myself going back to every week. Now nearly everything I own, I love, and I know what fits me best as result...

I wrote this somewhere else a while ago;

almost 200 shirts (I counted last week)- 60% of them are american apparel though

about 10 pairs of pants

5 pairs of shoes-

3 pairs of sneakers

3 blazers- 2 topman, one viktor & rolf (no h&m)

2 suits

-14 pairs of underwear- 12 of them are aa, the other two are Galliano.(!)

It really depends on what your focus (what your accent pieces are). I do own a lot of clothes but I'd say blazers and shoes are the most important for me with some outerwear thrown in considering the climate I live in.

I went through this awhile back. I came to the same conclusions everyone else seems to be finding: Quality over quantity, and make sure it matches your style (or, at least you love it).

Just don't buy too much into one sub-style of SuFu, especially since your style will change and evolve. If you like the skinhead style, you don't need ten pairs of combat boots. Likewise, if you go the standard cardigan+tee look, a black, blue, and white cardigan are probably enough.

I started off a little post-hypebeasty with all-over print hoodies, Stussy, New Era, that kind of thing, and I went into a sneaker buying craze and I regret it now. All that money that went into those shoes could have been better spent on a nice APC sweater or a Nom De Guerre jacket.

Maybe none of this pertains to you if you already have a complete grasp of your style.

My Absolute essentials-

• 10 Tshirts, black and white, crew and V-neck mixed variety
  • 2 Suits...black skinny fashion suit, and a more proffessional charcoal pinstripe
  • 3 pairs of jeans....grey, indigo and black
  • 3 pairs of dress shoes- 1 black, 1 patent black fashion, and one brown
  • 4 pairs of sneakers- chucks in black and white, a more modern white lace up (swear, CP, love thy neighbour, RAF etc), pair of black vans
  • 2 wool jackets, black and grey cropped military style
  • 1 hoodie- black
  • 3 dress shirts, 3 casual l/s shirts
  • 2 belts...leather brown casual raw leather, dress black/brown double sided leather

I seem to want more jackets, shoes and jeans all the time more than anything else. But I could happily manage with the above if I was forced not to buy anything else.

i have enough clothes where i dont have to do laundry but every other month without running out. ive slimmed down my operation by the help of buffalo exchange, but it's just fanning the flames. i support my habit by thrifting mostly, which i mix in with my designer shit. i do test runs of outfits to see if they'll make it into syndication or not. shoes are most crucial in my opinion. your entire outfit could be killer, but some skechers would a serious wrench in the spokes.

Do not get rid of anything you will regret it later. Put it in storage. Just because you have a clothing item you do not wear frequently wear, doesnt mind you will not find the perfect shirt for those jeans you barely wear. When I moved from my apartment to my house three years ago I got rid of some good stuff(jordans,paul smith sneakers, prada sneaker, flightposites,leather jackets etc). I am regretting it today.

as someone had said earlier.. quality over quantity..

Buy only what you like, dont fill your closet up with shit that u wont wear weeks down the road.. Be versatile but at the same time be subtle with your choices.. You can make an outfit work without spending too much from the wallet..

be selective

16-17 t-shirts ( co-op, barneys, trovata, rogan, nice collective, couple street wear ones)

4 button ups ( steven allen, co-op, etc)

4 pairs of jeans (acne, nudie, cheap monday etc)

6-7 nicer collar shirts (martin margelia, lacoste, rogue gallery etc)

3 pairs of shoes i usually rotate....

I think the hard thing is to really understand what you´ll "love" when in the store. Sometimes i pick up something Ill think is ok/nice for the price that end´s up being a wardrobe staple. The opposite happens aswell, stuff that seems great in the store might end up being subtly irritating later on.

I got alot of clothes and shoes (+55 pairs), and of course dont use everything equally,but is alot of trial and error involved.

I own a lot of tee shirts, mostly because I play hockey and racquetball pretty regularly, and bike quite often. I'm not going to wear a sixty dollar shirt to do any of those, so I have around fifteen or twenty shirts I use just for that or if I don't mind looking like a scrub one day out of the week. I also work in restaurants every summer, so I have some shit I wear for that. Anyway, essentials:

• Five pair of jeans (slim dark raw, slim flat raw black, regular-fit raw, slim worn-to-shit, regular worn to shit)
  • Three pair of dress pants (olive dress cords, dark brown chinos, beige linen)
  • Four pair of shorts (short British kahki, regular white, regular dark green, camo)
  • Two outdoor jackets (dark raw denim, old dark brown corduroy sherpa)
  • Two blazers (dark brown corduroy, tweed)
  • Four sweaters (black, brown/beige striped, navy v-neck, blue cable-knit)
  • Six core jackets/hoodies (for layering in Michigan winters; black/gray wool zip, peppered grey zip, brown/pink thermal zip, heather grey zip, blue pullover, red track jacket)
  • Three dress shirts (white/gray/black striped, brown/creme striped, light blue)
  • Three longsleeve casual shirts (black/brown/red flannel, white/yellow/red/blue western, red/blue/green plaid)
  • Five longsleeve tees (eggplant slubby, heathered beige, olive multi-striped, dark brown, dark blue)
  • Three polos (baby blue soft cotton, bright yellow soft cotton, brown pique)
  • Ten core tees (blank v-necks and crew necks, a couple striped, punk/hardcore/metal band shirts)
  • Four pair of sneakers (yellow vegan Tigers, obliterated chequered Vans, two pairs of simple white canvas ladies shoes)
  • One pair of dress shoes (really, really old black leather...looking to buy some nicer, more stylish vegan ones, though)

That's all I fit into my regular rotation of clothing. Of course, I've got underclothing, socks, a swim suit, raincoat, track shorts, suit, etc but everyone should own those. I would like to own more pieces of dress clothing, but I'm sure I'll accumulate those out of necessity over the next six years of college.