Yoyos, Yoyos, and Yoyos...

kiya

my problem with 2A is that i'm an upstart and keep trying to do big things when the little things are still so hard. and that i just want to do 3A without mounts. whatever, dad! get off my back!

my other problem with 2A is that every practice session i have ever had ended with my writhing on the ground after hitting myself in the hip. every time! without fail! i can only hope that 720s don't have the hip magnets yomega implanted in raiders to try and cripple me.

string response makes me go "hwuh?", but is pretty exciting, i guess? i'm not going to lie, i have no idea what's going on there, but i've never been the guy to ask about yo-yo technology anyways.

yeah, you probably won't have too much luck learning on that guy. while the butterfly is an icon and all, you'll have a much better time of it all on a bearingized yo-yo. still, it's a pretty fucking rad pack-in, and you can get the basics down... just takes more effort.

if you want to start yo-yoing, there's a laundry list of suggestions in this thread already to help you out, but the cliff's notes version is:

1. go to http://www.yoyonation.com/

2. buy one of the yo-yos recommended elsewhere in the thread (i.e. yoyojam kickside, duncan freehand zero)

3. buy some string

4. learn some tricks at http://mastermagic.net/Tricks.html or just rock the hell out of it freestyle

5. stay away from the simmering pools of greed and bitching that the online community is becoming

6. profit

if you're gonna carry stuff around in your pocket, you might want to look into a duncan flying squirrel or a superyo renegade. the bigger stuff rocks the hell out of skinny pants. patches for days.

ken, i'm probably going to enter at worlds but i don't really know if i'll make it past compulsories. i'm pretty bad at practicing.

is anyone here going to worlds? god damn it i wish i was going to new york.

How do you guys get crazy sleep times?

I have the most serious throw ever.

jaaaaaaake fucking bullllllllock. he told me he's getting hungry again and i'm really stoked on that. first tricks i've tried to learn in a long time.

to embed youtube stuff, do (youtube)the video number thing(/youtube), except use the brackets instead of parantheses. video number thing being NbGe8vgoZ48 .

NbGe8vgoZ48

kiya, is it possible to take apart the SExFH yoyo? I got an axle knot and tried everything I could to undo it but it wouldn't budge. Is there some advanced yoyo technique to untie it? (sorry for this basic beginners question) Google yielded no results save for inserting thin plates into those holds on either end but I'm sure I'll end up breaking something...

kiya, is it possible to take apart the SExFH yoyo? I got an axle knot and tried everything I could to undo it but it wouldn't budge. Is there some advanced yoyo technique to untie it? (sorry for this basic beginners question) Google yielded no results save for inserting thin plates into those holds on either end but I'm sure I'll end up breaking something...

your best bet is to go in the gap with a razor and cut the string. you can pull the halves apart, but in my experience they never go back together just right.

the super sweet advanced technique is to use a paperclip to pluck out the knot, or just cut off the string if you have extras.

i totally tear open my butterflies, but i'm pretty sure that you aren't supposed to do that, so i don't recommend it.

i don't think i'll ever end up posting anywhere else on sufu. :\

One of the managers at Flat Head in Japan sent this to me just now.. I guess the Japanese reporter I invited to BAC submitted his photos and write-up to Real Design, Japan's largest design magazine.

Hopefully during the interview they got me saying "Anti-Yo is not only the world's largest yoyo manufacturer, but also the world's largest independently owned company"

RealDesign.jpg

I've been looking at getting some shims and perhaps a KonKave bearing for my YYJ X-Convict but I noticed a thread somewhere to keep them stock which got me wondering if I should or not? What kind of improvements would it make or is it a better option to buy a new yo?

I'd appreciate if anyone could help this yoyonewb

i'm probably not the guy to talk to about high performance, because i tend to think that yo-yos don't really play awesomely until you've drilled a couple of holes in them, but this is what i've come to realize about aftermarket yo-yo mods:

you can do the same stuff on basically any yo-yo, so, if you're a totally stoic yo-yoer you would save your money until your months-old string snapped and you had to buy a new one. however, nobody ever accused the stoics of being any fun at all, and string played for more than a couple of days is almost assuredly ganky. a better way to look at it is that you just yo-yo until you figure out what your preferences are and then you go from there. konkave bearings and shims aren't really necessary by any means, unless you're doing a triple-wrapped double-on flop suicide or some other terrible ungodly trick to justify your wide-gapped beast... but! it is a new experience, and there's definitely fun to be had from tuning your equipment.

i think konkaves have a mostly psychosomatic effect; if you have good form, you won't have too much trouble keeping your string centered on your own. they're nice bearings, no doubt, and i was pretty excited about getting one when i was starting, but it won't affect the way you play. shims are a bit more tangible, because they prop the gap open. hard to deny that that gives the yo-yo a different feel. it's all preference, really: if you like the unresponsive wide-gapped feel, you could be thrilled with the kk/shims setup.

personally, though, i'd recommend trying something new out. if you're sticking in the $20 price range, you probably won't find anything that outspins the x-con, but god knows i would rather throw a rock than the sharp-ass x-con shape. try something rounder, or maybe a rubber-rimmed yo-yo, or get four boxes of melon bars from the asian market.

sorry for the essay. god damn i love melon bars.

do you have the ones with string response? if so how does it hold up? ben was a bit elusive when asked.

Yeah, mine have the string response.

I haven't changed it since I got them, which was over a year ago. Used them all summer long, 6 shows a day. Lots of practice, lots of play. Haven't needed to change them yet.

I think they are about due, though. Starting to get a little bit of slippage here and there.

So...my experience is that unless you are one of those serious 2A guys....once a year or so.

I think that's about as low-maintenance as you're ever likely to get in a bearing looper. Ever.