getting sunglasses made with prescription lenses

samsikle

i just bought a pair of new sunglasses from nordstrom, but i need them to have prescription lenses because i, like many aren't blessed with that 20/20. so i guess the question is does anyone know of a place (san jose/san francisco area) that will NOT fuck up the glasses and have the right colour for the gradient lens? i was thinking maybe lens crafters because i don't think the place i get my eyeglasses from will do it.. or will do it right. i figure if this is too much of a hassle i might just return them :(

346.jpg

http://www.oliverpeoples.com/Candice/pd/p/346.html

Looks crazy... but the only limitation that my optometrist gave me is that if the lens area of the frames were curved (like certain oakley sunglasses).

These don't look too curved to me so there's a high probability that it could work. Won't it cost a fuckload to get the gradiation done though? Wow... good luck sammie

looks possible... bring it to an eyeglass shop and ask if they can do it, not all sunglasses can be rx'ed

if you really like it, just get contacts, thats what i did...

Are you looking to retain the color and the gradient on from the original pair of sunglasses when you replace them with rx lenses? I'm not a big expert but I don't think there are any convential place will let you do that. Every single rx sunglass lens I've seen only comes in black, grey, or maybe brown tint, and almost never with a gradient. If you are looking for a lighter polymer, polarization, or anti glare coating then your options become even more limited.

Of course, the easiest place to go to would be Lens Crafters, but they'd probably charge a fortune. If you already have an optometrist you go to, you should ask them if you haven't already. My local optometrist put gradient lenses on my mom's semi rimless sunglasses for about $60 I think, so you it could cost you anywhere between that, and $100.

Are you looking to retain the color and the gradient on from the original pair of sunglasses when you replace them with rx lenses? I'm not a big expert but I don't think there are any convential place will let you do that.

:( yeah i was hoping to keep the colour as well. i think that's the beauty of the design of the sunglasses.. as for contacts i don't have any experience with them and i really don't intend to start. i'm not too fond of the idea of poking at my eye. i'll probably just ask around at a few shops and find out if it's possible