Uniqlo Vintage chinos vs. Gap (red) chinos

poly800rock

A great alternative to the much sought after uniqlo vintage fit chinos is the gap (red) selvedge chinos currently on sale. They have a slight bootcut, but that can be fixed fairly cheaply.

Here is a fit comparison of the gap (red) khaki's I recently picked up for $19.99. The top half fit fine, but the bottom half ended up too bootcut for me, so for $5 I had a tailor hem and taper a bit of the bottom half.

992406103_67e4873419.jpg992406393_c45e975dcf.jpg

so for $25 i have a great fitting, uniquely detailed pair of khaki's.

992408677_9493fc6231.jpg

992409203_1324493e56.jpg

993260120_7e2326bc00.jpg

992411661_ed09fffe96.jpg

993263182_aed1d8b8ab.jpg

993264954_a76df3a4bb.jpg

I like the Uniqlo's. The color and back pockets look 10x better.

honestly, i like the flaps of the gap better. the uniqlo's kind of just there. and especially for khakis i try and find a pair that has some sort of discerning details simply because by nature they're so boring

these look cool, but the detailing looks too bold for my taste.

look, uniqlo needs to just make the vintage chino again. i made the mistake of only buying 1 pair this spring. they are literally the only pair of chino's i've consistently worn (read: more than 2 times) in my entire life. i'd gladly pay $75+ for a pair if they were still available.

these look cool, but the detailing looks too bold for my taste.

look, uniqlo needs to just make the vintage chino again. i made the mistake of only buying 1 pair this spring. they are literally the only pair of chino's i've consistently worn (read: more than 2 times) in my entire life. i'd gladly pay $75+ for a pair if they were still available.

I did the same thing - I'm hoping they make them again - I wish I bought three pairs.

I don't get the hype over those Uniqlos. Maybe they're too long in the photo, they look pretty baggy to me. I imagine they're a cheap fabric. The Gap ones look like they hold their shape better. But I'm not a fan of those flap pockets.

When you buy chinos, I recommend getting them one inch shorter than usual. You want a straight fit that'll show a bit of ankle, no bunching or stacking, and don't wear socks. Rolling past your ankle a bit looks alright, but not too much. Pair it with loafers, boat shoes, or slip ons (of the vans variety or some other)

Ralph Lauren makes some nice chinos as well, which are only sold on the website. Unfortuntely they seem to sell out of smaller sizes pretty quicky.

RL

pPOLO2-3568947_standard_v330.jpg

pPOLO2-3569079_standard_v330.jpg

pPOLO2-3568899_standard_v330.jpg

Junya for good measure

00340m.jpg

00360m.jpg

When you buy chinos, I recommend getting them one inch shorter than usual. You want a straight fit that'll show a bit of ankle, no bunching or stacking, and please don't wear socks. Rolling past your ankle a bit looks alright, but not too much. Pair it with loafers, boat shoes, or slip ons (of the vans variety or some other)

Thanks for the tips, bud, but I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you here. All of the looks you posted looking pretty fucking gay to me. I think chinos look fresh sagged and stacked or rolled/cuffed a little.

Please allow me to use SuFu's very own TragicBliss, here, as an example:

2007_07_10_a.jpg

2007_07_10_b.jpg

Thanks for the tips, bud, but I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you here. All of the looks you posted looking pretty fucking gay to me. I think chinos look fresh sagged and stacked or rolled/cuffed a little.

Please allow me to use SuFu's very own TragicBliss, here, as an example:

I kinda think those pants paired with that t-shirt and hat make him look like he should be behind the counter at McDonalds with a headset.

Shoes and belt save the outfit I guess.

It's probably the culture, but I think the outfit I posted has a much better fit overall, and is more intriguing with the layering and color combinations.

I don't get the hype over those Uniqlos. Maybe they're too long in the photo, they look pretty baggy to me. I imagine they're a cheap fabric. The Gap ones look like they hold their shape better. But I'm not a fan of those flap pockets.

When you buy chinos, I recommend getting them one inch shorter than usual. You want a straight fit that'll show a bit of ankle, no bunching or stacking, and please don't wear socks. Rolling past your ankle a bit looks alright, but not too much. Pair it with loafers, boat shoes, or slip ons (of the vans variety or some other)

Ralph Lauren makes some nice chinos as well, which are only sold on the website. Unfortuntely they seem to sell out of smaller sizes pretty quicky.

RL

00360m.jpg

the underside detailing look great on these. i dont know what the fuck you're talking about with wearing no socks. there are 2 times when i don't wear socks. when they're off when i'm sleeping and when i'm wearing flip flops. and when i wear chinos in general, they're for work and that situation usually requires socks. i guess if you're out on a stroll and trying to portray some sort of look go with no socks, but for regular khaki wear, wear socks dammit.

the underside detailing look great on these. i dont know what the fuck you're talking about with wearing no socks. there are 2 times when i don't wear socks. when they're off when i'm sleeping and when i'm wearing flip flops. and when i wear chinos in general, they're for work and that situation usually requires socks. i guess if you're out on a stroll and trying to portray some sort of look go with no socks, but for regular khaki wear, wear socks dammit.

Whoa, didn't mean to offend the sock nazi.

Chinos are a summer style pant. They're meant to be more casual than regular flat-front, creased, or pleated trousers. I didn't mean to say you should never wear socks. Personally, I just don't like to. (And there's no sock policy where I work.)

From the Sartorialist:

DMJuly.jpg

GC.jpg

grnDB.jpg

AsianAmerican2.jpg

Way to edit your first post to add the Junya stuff - which is really irrelevant, neither of those are the style of chino we are discussing. Anyway, great, you follow fashion blogs, you can regurgitate what you see on the Sartorialist. Well done.

And chinos are military pants - not "summer style pants." They can look good hemmed short without socks, but that is by no means they way they must be worn.

I bought a pair of slim fit chinos from J. Crew that I'm really happy with. Fit similar to the APC flat front trousers from s/s 07, if not more tapered. Smallest size they make is 30x30 (what I am), though. $60 with the student discount.

i always meant to check the slim jcrew ones out, but it's so tough because they don't have them in the stores, you have to buy them online

I like how you can slate the fabric of pants you've never seen in person. The "hype" about the Uniqlos is that they were exceptional value for $40 (including the fabric, which is great). No more no less.