Headphones? Headphones? Headphones?

Guest freedomfighter

dunno if i should be worried about the order or not. kinda soon to tell, since they are based in hk. im looking forward to getting these, ive read many good reviews.

i hope you'll get yours soon. i'll keep you updated !

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

portable rig: Sensaphonics ProPhonic 2X-S

How do you like the Sensaphonics?

I myself have a pair of ACS T2 but when I was doing my research Sensaphonics seemed to be right up there with Westone and Ultimate Ears.

Don't hear much about them though with the current FreQ craze.

ayn what's your DAC like for your home use?

i assume you mean home as in home stereo system as opposed to for on the computer?

Actually at home I only use my laptop, or my iPod or iPhone. I don't have a fancy setup right now coz I don't have the space and I'm also never home much.

How do you like the Sensaphonics?

I myself have a pair of ACS T2 but when I was doing my research Sensaphonics seemed to be right up there with Westone and Ultimate Ears.

Don't hear much about them though with the current FreQ craze.

Quite a few members at Head-Fi got the Sensaphonics you can find more info than you need if you search there. When I bought my first pair about 4 years ago it was between the 2X-S and the UE 10 Pro. A friend of mine had both and prefer the Sensaphonics and I went with those. I think you should try to audition universal fits test versions of the cans you're considering with your source and pick them one you like the most. I've never auditioned the UE highend models coz I just don't really like how they market their products. Having 4 drivers seem more like a gimick than anything else IMO.

btw, my Sensa sounds way better than the A900's, the A900 got slightly better soundstage but that's about it, everything else the Sensaphonics owns it.

I'm on my 3rd pair of Sensaphonics 2X-S, the first pair got moisture in and had to get new ones made. The second pair kindda stopped working and I don't think it was moisture that time, so I got another pair made, also got new ear impressions made for them the 3rd time. So if longevity (and cost) is a huge concern I'm not sure if I would recommend Sensaphonics from my own experience. My friend's 2X-S are original (> 4 years old) and they work perfect, same thing with my audiologist's personal pair.

My JBL Reference 220's died the other day. I'm slumming around NYC in my large Grado's until I can buy a new set of canalphones or whatever you call them. I've had the Shure e2c before but did not like them -- I found that the bass and overall quality of the sound on the JBL's was far superior to the Shures, for half the cost.

I'd like to spend close to $100 on a new set of phones, ideally with a built in mic for my iPhone. I'm looking at the v-moda's but don't want to buy the first thing I see; head-fi is down and I was going to search through there but no luck yet.

Any advice?

edit: liking the V-Moda vibe duo's but all reports say they break regularly!

How do you like them? I have the er4p and those things are so clear its ridiculous. I'm just wondering how the two match up.

They sound a little better than my old er6i but those were pretty beat up. I never heard er4 but I think mine are not on the same level. I think they are also a little overpriced but there was nothing better around right now.

Amazon has Creative EP-640 In-Ear Headphones for $13 as well as several other earphones & headphones on sale. Shipping is Free with Amazon Prime or if you spend $25 or more. Use Slick Fillers to find other eligible items to help bring your total to $25.

Thank you to Slickdeals.net.

Because you can't work out with canalphones, because I wouldn't want to use expensive headphones while lifting weights or running or doing any other potentially violent motions, because sound quality is the least important element of headphone design when working out, because Nike, as a sportswear brand, conceivably makes equipment that is well-designed for exercise, likely moreso than Sennheiser or Denon or a company targeted toward audiophiles, and because quacks writes a majority of his posts in tech-related superfuture forums, so I'll take his opinion and think he's only posting a small sample of the headphones on discount at Amazon, and that he's chosen those that have favorable reviews.

But go on, buddy. Go on.

For a cheap fix you might want to look into those Crossroads XBi (or whatever they call the extended bass version now).

Was really popular back then but they seem to have faded out of the the flavor of the month club.

http://www.crossroads.co.kr/earbute_xbi.html

Now the latest in the Mylar lineup is the Mylar Bijou, and it's IMO much better than the old mylars ESPECIALLY in build quality. It comes with the bassy version as well, probably the XBi equivalent.

Please.. don't get noise cancelling headphones. They mess up your music man.

KicksNotBombs: Which shure model are you using? If your model supports these black foamies, be sure to get them. They're much better at isolating and the bass response is sweeet.

http://store.shure.com/store/shure/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.105436100

You can probably score some on ebay for cheap

just recieved the cheapo pl30's in the mail. if anyone is interested, first impression is the bass is quite heavy (coming from someone who likes technical and fast bass eg sony's sa-5k sound signature). the sound is very musical and warm though just a tad muddy for my ears. it doesn't really have the seperation of higher end headphones and i would have prefered a bit more treble as the bass and midrange kind of drowns it out. i cant compare these to expensive IEMs since ive never used them, but ive used all the popular cheap earbuds like the creative, jvc, sennheisers etc and these are definately alot better imo. for 20 bucks, these are excellent value to the point that you would be an idiot for not buying a pair.

update: ive burned them in for 12 hours now. the treble has opened up and the sound is alot more balanced. i also had the bass knob set on deep bass which is why i thought the buds were bass heavy from my first impression. changing it to the clear bass setting, the difference is very minor but it does help the overall balance and tightens the bass. seperation is a tad better as well but still has that muddiness quality from my first impressions.