The good Lighter thread

Crillz

So every time I go to my Grandfather's apartment (he collects loads of cool stuff), I always play around with his Dunhill lighter. It's so fucking cool but I know he'll never give it to me (since he doesn't even know I smoke), and I want something similar. But consider this a general area to discuss cool lighters, antique, avant-garde, military-spec, or whatever.

This is what his looks like:

s84.JPG

use the fucking search n00b

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=278635

but seriously, vintage nimrods are the best alternative to vintage zippos there are. i bought one in nov for $10 off ebay, then lost it, bought one a month ago in almost new condition for $4 off ebay. my old pic. the new one i just got has no wear or signs of use on it.

381368618_6d2d03301c.jpg

my old roomate owns a dry cleaners in a really wealthy area of brooklyn. a lot times people leave some crazy stuff in their pockets (he's found: wads of cash, a rolex, etc). one time he brought one of these home:

81b5_1.JPG

needless to say, i was quite jealous.

i want a vietnam era zippo engraved with those crass military idioms

but they fetch a far too high price on eBay

zippohv5.jpg

Why would you want this lighter, which effectively says those who haven't risked their lives don't fully appreciate life, if you yourself were never in combat?

my old roomate owns a dry cleaners in a really wealthy area of brooklyn. a lot times people leave some crazy stuff in their pockets (he's found: wads of cash, a rolex, etc). one time he brought one of these home:

needless to say, i was quite jealous.

He stole stuff that people left in the pockets? :confused:

Why would you want this lighter, which effectively says those who haven't risked their lives don't fully appreciate life, if you yourself were never in combat?

I think you're being a bit extreme man.

It says "fought" which refers to combat, or a violent upbringing, or having a near death experience, or a disease, etc. I completely agree with the statement. When you are in a situation and have to fight to stay alive you sure as hell do appreciate life more. It doesn't infer anything about non-soldiers being unappreciative......what an odd conclusion to make.

On top of all that, it is an antique. That's like saying I can't own any WW2 German antiques with swastikas on them unless I support Nazis. It's a piece of history.

Uhhh yeah. Something about the 'Vietnam Phu Rieng 65-66' tells me that the lighter does not refer to disease or getting molested by your uncle. Not to mention that quote is credited to a Marine. But if you want to take the quote and put it on a picture of a cat hanging on a branch to give you hope on a rough day down the office, then more power to ya'.

The difference between a German antique like a Hitler Youth Brigade knife is that a lighter has a specific use. A Nazi knife is only a decoration, unless the owner of said knife is Hando from Romper Stomper or one of the Vineyard Bros. It just seems weird and slightly disrespectful to be lighting Parliament Lights down the bar while listening to Mark Ronson with a zippo that went through the Vietnam war, especially with that particular message.

But that's just me.

Uhhh yeah. Something about the 'Vietnam Phu Rieng 65-66' tells me that the lighter does not refer to disease or getting molested by your uncle. Not to mention that quote is credited to a Marine. But if you want to take the quote and put it on a picture of a cat hanging on a branch to give you hope on a rough day down the office, then more power to ya'.

The difference between a German antique like a Hitler Youth Brigade knife is that a lighter has a specific use. A Nazi knife is only a decoration, unless the owner of said knife is Hando from Romper Stomper or one of the Vineyard Bros. It just seems weird and slightly disrespectful to be lighting Parliament Lights down the bar while listening to Mark Ronson with a zippo that went through the Vietnam war.

But that's just me.

Right, so it may directly refer to the war in this instance, but in any case it is pretty much a universal saying/parable so I see no offense here.

If you're dad was in the war and he handed this down to you, you wouldn't use it because you would feel like a jackass?

Right, so it may directly refer to the war in this instance, but in any case it is pretty much a universal saying/parable so I see no offense here.

If you're dad was in the war and he handed this down to you, you wouldn't use it because you would feel like a jackass?

Yes, in this particular case, it's weird. If you like the phrase because it symbolizes your struggles with bad breath, get it printed on your tooth brush.

And no, I wouldn't use it. I'd obviously treasure it, display it on my desk nex to my grandfather's NYPD shield, but like I said, I'd just feel quasy using a military heirloom for such mundane tasks as lighting cigarettes or the grill.

It just reminds me of the latest trend in rap of rappers wearing iced out dog tags.

But it was never my intention to start a debate over the merits of using military gear in civilian life.

Those Porche lighters are gorgeous, though I'm sure they're quite expensive.

And with a name like Crillz, I think you'd be more accepting of the Bic lighter as it's the prefered method of fiends in my neighborhood for firing up said crillz.

Yes, in this particular case, it's weird. If you like the phrase because it symbolizes your struggles with bad breath, get it printed on your tooth brush.

And no, I wouldn't use it. I'd obviously treasure it, display it on my desk nex to my grandfather's NYPD shield, but like I said, I'd just feel quasy using a military heirloom for such mundane tasks as lighting cigarettes or the grill.

It just reminds me of the latest trend in rap of rappers wearing iced out dog tags.

But it was never my intention to start a debate over the merits of using military gear in civilian life.

Those Porche lighters are gorgeous, though I'm surely they're quite expensive.

Fair enough. I knew where you were coming from to start with. Still, I wouldn't equate it with, say, wearing the jacket my dad shot 50 viet-cong in to a keg party, but I get your point.

thefunkytechnician - Very nice.

• 4 months later...

Anyone has something negative to say about Dunhill rolagas (not fake ones!!), especially 60s models? I'm more of a Dupont man myself but like that they can filled with normal butane (they can, right?)

Anyone has something negative to say about Dunhill rolagas (not fake ones!!), especially 60s models? I'm more of a Dupont man myself but like that they can filled with normal butane (they can, right?)

The only issue I've had with the Rollagas is that they don't necessarily hold a lot of butane if you tend to use the thing a lot.

Otherwise, they're stylish heavy bits of work. However, I think the gold ones tend to look better since the body is made of brass and when the silver-plate rubs down, the brass shows. With the gold, it's not that much of an issue.

They do fill with regular butane, but butane quality may be an issue as cheap butane is relatively impure and may clog the lighter in the long-run; in the old days, people used to send their lighters for mechanical maintenance as they would watches, cameras, etc. Of course, now only a few people work on them.

Also, distinctive of the '60s era ones, is that the cap is a plain design versus the later ones which have an integrated design.

dsc02798ad1.jpg

dsc02824ws3.jpg

gah my grandfather (same one i believe i mentioned in my original post) also has that exact gold dunhill rollaga as well. i've toyed with that one a great deal too. i need to start researching catburgularery. >:( yes, my grandfather did work hard to obtain these, but i'm doing him a favor, he's too old to be indulging in his big filthy cigarillos anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an oversized lighter on eBay recently and it was missing a flint. The bottom of the lighter is stamped with ATC Japan and the lighter measures approximately 6 inches by 4 inches.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a replacement flint for this lighter? Would an antiques store be able to give me some help, is there a good lighter forum, etc?

I'd love to get this lighter back in working condition as it is pretty unique, but I will need to find a pretty big flint in order to accomplish that.