Uhhhh... Vermont?

herpsky

i remember we camped out at the place we played the show at. the owner was smoking crack in the trailer he lived in behind the show. and he let us shower in the morning, and was caught staring at one of our tourmates. weird place.

Yep, good ol' central southern Vermont, that's Wilmington for ya. Why Wilmington and not Brattleboro? At least in Brat we kicked all the trailers to the north side and west side of town and fenced them off (no joke) and made a very half-assed attempt at gentrifying downtown like refusing to sell the house at 420 High Street to the seven of us trying to make it into a frathouse.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyway

i hear vermont is pretty conservative

is that right? like do people frown upon things that look...eh... unique

im not talkign about being a goth ninja but like

shit like skinny pants with wide U neck shirts

I went to UVM for two years, so....

Vermont is definitely NOT conservative. Probably the most liberal state in the union. There are a lot of hippies, but there are also a lot of yuppies and regular people.

Burlington's pretty cool by Vermont standards, but it's nothing special. Downtown, the waterfront and around the colleges are really clean and pretty. South Burlington kind of sucks. Atmosphere is very relaxed, but it sucks in the winter. I hope you're a winter person, cause it gets cold. I remember times when my nostrils would freeze after stepping outside.

I kind of miss the warm weather days of Burlington. There's a lot of hills to skateboard (not sure if you're into that). And as mentioned, it's a quick trip to Montreal (best strip clubs ever!). I don't think they check your passport though, at least they didn't the couple of times I went (and this was post 9/11). I don't even have a passport.

Also, some pretty good music comes through Burlington. Check out some of the clubs they have there. I think "Higher Ground" is the good one.

What exactly are you doing there? Are you going to UVM? Hope you like it better than I did.

There was a very good skate shop/park called Talent about 10 minutes from downtown Burlington. Also, I second Putney Vermont. There is diner with excellent pie as well as one of the strangest BBQ places I have ever seen, who coincidentally have amazing chicken and ribs. As everyone else has said, Montreal is very close and NYC and Boston are both accessible via public transportation.

Talent was way too expensive to skate, plus there were too many 12-year olds all over the place.

The B-Side (which is no longer there) was dope, cause it had a rad mini in the back that was free to skate. The downtown park is good too, cause you don't have to wear helmets. Unfortunately it's only open about half the year.

i dont really skate but i do like watching people skate

im going to UVM (not undergrad though).

how do asian kids treated there...?

i dont really skate but i do like watching people skate

im going to UVM (not undergrad though).

how do asian kids treated there...?

you'll get lynched within 2 minutes. then they'll stuff you and put you on the fireplace mantle.

what kind of questions are you asking here? vermont is still part of the us last time i checked, and burlington is one of the most progressive/open minded cities in the northeast.

i'm sorry for coming off like a dick, i really don't mean it, but i'd expect your questions from a hillbilly who's never left alabama, not someone who's been all around the world and about to start professional school.

in the end, you'll be fine. buy a snowboard. i've known plenty of asians from cali who went to UVM for grad/professional school and they all enjoyed it. might be culture shock simply because the amount of white faces, but that's new england in general. other than that, you'll be fine.

hello there, so yeah, VT woo fucking hoo, but good for ya man, school is a great way to avoid life, if i could, i would live at school and fuck all sorts of young poon till im old and gray. but all that aside, there are some really ill spots to know about in VT in your area, and since i went to college just south of b-town, i know some goods to share.

1- River Run-Resturant- ill ill ill. thats all i need to say, this is a cult hang out for so many VT heads, and will ruin you with all sorts of amazing ill wonderful southern style soul food. right in the heart of plainfield VT.

2- The old mill, or the mill- right off the stowe exit. more of a upscale version of river run, but a really amazing setting, good brunch.

3- there is a japanese place right at the top of the mall in gurlington, they are more than decent, try em out.

4- to learn to snowboard there is no better place then Stowe. your right there, and there is a big mountian (not big but east coast big) and a small one, learn on one, get to the other. i used to steal snow all the time over at the little one, no one ever checks tickets there.

5- McGillicutties- montpiler- bar vibe. bar food. bar action. AMAZING burgers. great fries.cheap booze.

6- Sarducci's- montpiler- decent italian food for the green mountian state. try the chicken fetuchini alfredo. gold man, gold. some of the only good pizza as well, brick oven fun.

im drunk and bored, and usally when somone starts numbering points, and going on and on about living someplace for 3.5 years it should be a full post of insane fun. but honestly, VT is good. but not that good. there is action, but i hated B-town, or Gurlington as we called it. check out these options of fun, if you need more PM me.

Snoogins.

How do you go to NY by train?

You can, but dont ever even think about it. it can take as long as 9+ hours from burlington to nyc by train. they used to do a sleep car red eye, but that was forver ago and is not around anymore. car to burlington at a normal speed is 5 hours. muc much better.

i've been meaning to post to this thread,

i'm from montreal so i've spent quite a lot of time in Vermont in my life. first of all, Montreal to Burlington is only 1 hour and half by car. americans do not need a passport to visit canada (id is good enough). however, dubya has decided that everybody now needs a passport to come INSIDE america (including american). so far, only ppl travelling by plane need the passport. i think car/bus crossing was suppose to be next year but i think dubya decided to extend it until 2009 as there was a lot of pressure from border states (only like 18% or something of americans hold a passport compare to about 60% of canadians). anyway, i've only taken the bus once, but the controls at the border are generally very very minimal.

like other said, vermont is cool for doing outdoor stuff, snowboarding, hiking, mountain biking. otherwise, there isn't much to do which i think could be a good thing as you can sort of concentrate on your studies (your entering med school right?). only real big downside for is is food as options are soooooo limited. every time i'm in burlington, it freaks me out how little good restaurants there is. but i guess it's very typicall of america in general...

the burton store is kinda nice, it's really big. they didn't use to have a store so they would have these crazy sale (like 70% off or something), but now that they have opened the store, i don't know. they must have some sample sales or something (i always go to the ones in montreal and they are generally very good).

otherwise, i guess you'll have to come and chill with the montreal SuFu crew ,Fuuma, Mass, 2000db and me (nairb49 was also here, but he left this morning actually). we've been hanging out a lot lately so if you're bored this summer, don't hesitate to come over. Montreal is an amazing city in the summer.

Talent was way too expensive to skate, plus there were too many 12-year olds all over the place.

The B-Side (which is no longer there) was dope, cause it had a rad mini in the back that was free to skate. The downtown park is good too, cause you don't have to wear helmets. Unfortunately it's only open about half the year.

Dude, Talent is 5 bucks to skate w/college id for 3hrs, or 10 bucks if your not in college. How is that way too expensive? What would you like to pay for an indoor park? 2 dollars. Also it's never really that crowded with little kids, maybe like on a rainy Saturday, just gotta know the right times to come. Pretty much dead during the days in the winter and the night session is usually the older/more advanced sesh.......As you could prolly tell i work there, Talent is Rad though. We got a pretty stocked shop, all the skate kicks, Nike SB, Vans, Vox, Emerica etc etc. All the skate gear if you're into that kinda shit, Diamond, Hundreds, Krew, Altamont etc etc...Also carry Burton and all their other companies, been getting 08 shit already. If you're looking for a snowboard i'll hook you up with a good deal...Burton never really has sale's(except the tent sale they have coming up next week) but they only do 40% off last year stuff and Talent is doing 50%...Anyway i love Burlington, small, liberal, laid back city. I moved here like 6 years ago and plan on staying, used to live in Burlington but recently bought a townhouse is south B-town like 5 mins away.If you're into good weed and/or micro brews this is the town to be. Lots of hot college chicks always around ready to party, not soo many hippy chicks anymore. That scene isnt as big as it was a few years ago up here..Like everyone said lots of fun stuff to do outside, great hiking trails, cliff jumping, boating around Lake champlain etc etc..There is an AA store up here, Urban Outfitters, few decent boutique store's on church street..Nothing to great, but boston and montreal aren't to far away. As far as restraunts go, there is some alright places. Asiana house is my fav for sushi. Single pebble is amazing, both veggie friendly. Penny Cluise is the best breakfast spot! Vermont Pub and Brewery has decent bar type food, and brew all their own beer(great BTW)..Flatbread makes the best pizza in town, and stock all good beer..The bar scene is alright AVOID places like "what ales you", RJ's, RI RA's, all those places blow. Been awhile since i was a reg in the "bar scene" but everyone is hitting up places like the "green room, or Plan B same owners" 1/2 bar(small, $$$, all top shop) Esox is kinda the dive bar around here, mostly gnar skaters and local drunks...Few local galleries around, Pursuit is chill they always get skater art shows. Chris Pastras just did a show up here on july 4th. JDK has some cool shows as well, also a secret mini ramp downstairs. Anyway Burlington isnt the greatest city in the US, but there is alot worse places you could end up at for grad school. I hope you have a good time up here, people are really friendly and open minded. You could pull off that silver pants, u neck combo, but you might attract the wrong kinda anttention. Pretty big gay population up here, Vermont is one of the only states that allows same sex civil unions. Anyway safe travels, and welcome to Vermont.

PS invest in some long john and a extra warm coat,..winters are harsh

they would have these crazy sale (like 70% off or something), but now that they have opened the store, i don't know. they must have some sample sales or something (i always go to the ones in montreal and they are generally very good).

I dunno if you can still score 70% off. maybe you can, but i dont imagine hte stock to be very good. That might coincide with the information that Burton NYC gave me, that their sale ends in august and new stock comes in. I guess they're moving all hte gear up to VT or even their outlet in Wrentham. There currenst stuff is 40% off in NYC if you want a snowboard. (But burton jackets suck, don't go there)

I dunno if you can still score 70% off. maybe you can, but i dont imagine hte stock to be very good. That might coincide with the information that Burton NYC gave me, that their sale ends in august and new stock comes in. I guess they're moving all hte gear up to VT or even their outlet in Wrentham. There currenst stuff is 40% off in NYC if you want a snowboard. (But burton jackets suck, don't go there)

the wrentham outlet is pretty nuts. they have so much good stuff there. including idiom shit.

i dont think idiom is that hard to find anymore. maybe its just the gear last season sucked. i dunno but i think 40% is already a pretty good discount and that can be found in nyc. i can't c it oging much cheaper apart from at the massive sale.

Dude, Talent is 5 bucks to skate w/college id for 3hrs, or 10 bucks if your not in college. How is that way too expensive? What would you like to pay for an indoor park? 2 dollars. Also it's never really that crowded with little kids, maybe like on a rainy Saturday, just gotta know the right times to come. Pretty much dead during the days in the winter and the night session is usually the older/more advanced sesh.......As you could prolly tell i work there, Talent is Rad though.

I went there in 2002. At that time it was definitely NOT $5 with a college ID. It was around $12-15 for a session.

i've been meaning to post to this thread,

otherwise, i guess you'll have to come and chill with the montreal SuFu crew ,Fuuma, Mass, 2000db and me (nairb49 was also here, but he left this morning actually). we've been hanging out a lot lately so if you're bored this summer, don't hesitate to come over. Montreal is an amazing city in the summer.

Kasper, what do you guys tend to do? I'm a longtime SuFu lurker in Montreal. I knew there were a couple of people from here, but didn't know you guys hung out. Could be cool to try to organize a little meet up.

(sorry for hijacking your thread, herpsky)

Kasper, what do you guys tend to do? I'm a longtime SuFu lurker in Montreal. I knew there were a couple of people from here, but didn't know you guys hung out. Could be cool to try to organize a little meet up.

(sorry for hijacking your thread, herpsky)

theres only one thing... goth ninja circle jerk