Uhhhh... Vermont?

herpsky

I'm moving to vermont at the end of July.

(I know. its not a superfuture city)

Is there anything cool besides getting H1 and having promiscuous sex with hippie chicks?

My friends (like 5 or 6 of em) told me that asians get a lot of play (especially from hippie chicks who think anything "exotic" is dope) in vermont

and im very very skeptical about this. can anyone confirm this?

dry spell... i hope not

-skiing / snowboarding

-finding teh H1

-outdoor activities

what else?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm moving to vermont at the end of July.

(I know. its not a superfuture city)

Is there anything cool besides getting H1 and having promiscuous sex with hippie chicks?

My friends (like 5 or 6 of em) told me that asians get a lot of play (especially from hippie chicks who think anything "exotic" is dope) in vermont

and im very very skeptical about this. can anyone confirm this?

dry spell... i hope not

-skiing / snowboarding

-finding teh H1

-outdoor activities

what else?

you will find a lot of what you posted. Don't know about the azyn thing though. Burlington is a very hip city. Very underrated imo. Haven't been up there in a few years, but my old roommate was from there and went there many times during college. Pretty cool bars, and great magic hat brewery. Keep in mind, everything is also pretty low key there.

dude, wtf are you doing there???

something uvm related?

i love vermont; i grew up going on vacation there

the most beautiful state in the country, easily, and the most unspoiled

you'll probably be bored as fuck, but you'll be so in awe of the beauty of your surroundings that it may not matter

you're on the right track with the outdoorsy shit - biking, hiking, swimming, kayaking, etc.

def. nothing superfuture about it, although burlington has sort of a cool college town vibe - like the madison of the east, only no context

actually a decent number of nyc/boston people at uvm, ime, so there may be a touch of the streetwear thing going on or something

warning: lots of white kids with dreads

good herbs, fucking annoying everything else

prob time to sell all your visvim or whatever and get up on some patagonia

i know the guys up there fancy the Asians there

then again, you find those guys everywhere...

thanks for the replies

I'M TALKING ABOUT GIRLS, not DUDES

it's school related

i really didnt have any other option

life is hard sometimes

From the sound of your "blog" by the time you touch down on the rocky shores of lake champlagne, you will have amassed a collection of expensive, well-designed clothing extensive enough to clothe a trailer full of hippies. In my mind, this means Vermont will be a place to take a little vacation from buying.

If you are the type for whom time spent not in a major city is time spent wondering "what there is to do that is fun"...you are probably not in the best position to take advantage of what Vermont has to offer.

Vermont is the type of place that makes sitting and reading a book, going for a hike, or snowboarding feel alot more fun than the same activities would somewhere else (the same can be said for place like Maine, Alaska, and Montana). If you can stop thinking about clothing, which I'm sure your capable of, there will be a whole bunch of shit to do, you just sometimes need to find it, or stumble upon it.

The food is good, the coffee is great, and the white women are plentiful, and though sometimes a bit too "au naturale" for my taste, by and large good looking.

I think if you re-adjust your attitude a bit, you'll have a real good time up in that neck-of-the-woods.

Feel free to direct more specific questions my way.

food is good.

what kinda food?

i think i can foget about buying clothes... for a while

im selling my visvims so i can afford a burton snowboard and an idiom jacket

i lived in burlington vermont for two years before moving to new york and i loved it. just make sure you have a car for summer hikes and a heavy jacket because that winter wind off the lake is pretty harsh. the cliffs just north of north beach are nice if you can't get out of town and want to spend some time away from the city. also no matter what anyone tells you look for a place in the hill area of town.

Courtesy of Docgnar

This is normally a really good sale - worth traveling to for any shredders in the NE.

What: Burton Snowboards’ 20th Annual Summer Sale

When: Friday, August 3 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

Saturday, August 4 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

Sunday, August 5 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Where: Burton Snowboards

80 Industrial Parkway

Burlington, VT

Call: (802) 660-3200 for more details

DIRECTIONS TO BURTON’S HEADQUARTERS

80 Industrial Parkway

Burlington, VT

(802) 862-4500

From I-89 North or South:

Take Exit 13 to I-189. Follow I-189 to Route 7 (or Shelburne Road). Take a left onto Route 7 (Shelburne Road). Take the second right onto Queen City Park Rd. At the first stop sign, take a right continuing on Queen City Park Road. You will come to a one-lane bridge. After the bridge veer right onto Industrial Parkway. Burton is the second building on the right.

Vermont is sick. Burlington is such a fun, little city. There's a lot to do there but its not overwhelming like NY. If you're there for UVM you'll find a lot of parties.

There's a ton of skateshops and stuff where you might be able to find some decent clothing. If not then Manhattan is only a 5 hour drive or 3 hour train ride away.

Snowboarding is a way of life up there so you should probably get started.

On the contrary I've lived in Vermont for much of the last two years and I haven't snowboarded beyond riding a lunch tray down a snowy hill. Burlington's a cute little town, although this past spring has been hellish with the snowstorms and whatnot. Bring some gloves and you'll be fine, I've pushed cars up hills in APCs and a single-breasted Armani overcoat (with nothing underneath) during a storm and didn't even get frostbite.

I'm in Southern Vermont btw so your mileage may vary. I don't even have cell phone reception and as far as I know I'm the only Asian within 15 miles of where I lived, although now I have an apartment in downtown Brattleboro which is slightly better than... say random house on the side of Route 9 in the middle of fuck-all.

brattleboro is so ghetto. we played a show up in wilmington once. shit was so white trash.

Yeah I couldn't decide whether to live in the hippie district or the trash district and I chose the hippie district, which ironically is closer to the Wal-Mart than really anything else. I go to school on Route 9 halfway between Wilmington and Brattleboro and the weather's absolute shit for about 11 months out of the year, and so is the shopping.

How do you go to NY by train? The Vermonter goes from St. Albans to DC via NY daily You can get your tix online @ Amtrak.com. I'm not sure where the station is though in Burlington though. There's only one train a day though, so you're gonna have to stay overnight in NYC since the train back is also in the morning. The Greyhound also runs to NYC although I think you have to change buses in White River Junction which is never a fun occasion. The train does NOT run to Montreal though, which is the biggest bitch, but if you can find a ride across Champlain you can hop on the Adriondack to Montreal by train, but if you're taking that much effort you might as well as take the bus up which is pretty cheap and puts you a block from the Berri-UQAM Metro stop.

Yeah I couldn't decide whether to live in the hippie district or the trash district and I chose the hippie district, which ironically is closer to the Wal-Mart than really anything else. I go to school on Route 9 halfway between Wilmington and Brattleboro and the weather's absolute shit for about 11 months out of the year, and so is the shopping.

How do you go to NY by train? The Vermonter goes from St. Albans to DC via NY daily You can get your tix online @ Amtrak.com. I'm not sure where the station is though in Burlington though. There's only one train a day though, so you're gonna have to stay overnight in NYC since the train back is also in the morning. The Greyhound also runs to NYC although I think you have to change buses in White River Junction which is never a fun occasion. The train does NOT run to Montreal though, which is the biggest bitch, but if you can find a ride across Champlain you can hop on the Adriondack to Montreal by train, but if you're taking that much effort you might as well as take the bus up which is pretty cheap and puts you a block from the Berri-UQAM Metro stop.

i remember we camped out at the place we played the show at. the owner was smoking crack in the trailer he lived in behind the show. and he let us shower in the morning, and was caught staring at one of our tourmates. weird place.

you can take buses to montreal?

how cheap / fast?

from where?

do they check for passport at the border?

I tossed out the latest bus schedule as I won't be back in VT until late August but I think there are at least 2 or 3 buses going from the bus station in Burlington on Route 7 south of Downtown up to Montreal. Takes about 3 or 4 hours or so? They check everyone's passport at the border but it's not too big of a deal. You can get bus tickets reserved on Greyhound.com but I typically don't bother and just show up because I've NEVER seen the bus full ever. It's like 30 or 40 bucks, possibly less? It's pretty cheap and if you don't have a car it's definitely worth it.

Although if you have a car you can just take the drive and since Canadian cops don't stop American speeders it seems and you don't have to pay parking tickets, and the border's seldom clogged unless you go on Friday nights or Saturday nights. Coming back is always a bit more of a hassal because the American customs ask WAY more questions than the Canadian ones. This is true for busses too, btw.