Dior Homme S/S 2008

AA60322

I don't think KVA is going to fail at all, after all, he's kept his own line a float season after season. But what I do see happening is Dior Homme customers buying basics from Dior Homme and more stylistic clothing from Hedi's signature line (whenever it does come about).

But the thing is, probably 70% of Dior Homme customers are not like all of us, they buy Dior because it's Dior and it's slim fit. So Dior, no matter who is running the show, is going to still be a powerhouse.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think KVA is going to fail at all, after all, he's kept his own line a float season after season. But what I do see happening is Dior Homme customers buying basics from Dior Homme and more stylistic clothing from Hedi's signature line (whenever it does come about).

But the thing is, probably 70% of Dior Homme customers are not like all of us, they buy Dior because it's Dior and it's slim fit. So Dior, no matter who is running the show, is going to still be a powerhouse.

Unless Hedi does womenswear, that is.

And here we are again... you sound like someone who has never seen Dior stuff in store and anything they produce for that matter. There's a ton of luxurious tops, sweaters, cardigans, jackets, coats, suits, pants, etc. The amount of clothes produced each season is huge.

The sweathshirts, tees, and stuff like that is selling well, thus it carries over from season to season. It's not because Hedi wants to release the stuff, it's because he has to... the brand is big, the company wants to cash in.

Business 101.

Well, I think that we have to remember this is a business. I'm sure there's a sku plan that gets followed by the Dior design team. A sku plan for those that don't know is a guide put together most likely by the sales team of the brand. It gives a run down of what should be produced based on past wholesale buys. Those things; safari jacket, trench, etc. will never not be offered in the showroom because they're obvious go to sales pieces for the brand regardless what's shown for the runway presentation. Also, they're part of the aesthetic/brand identity that has been established.

I mentioned before on page two of this thread. I know that M65's, bee polos, etc are the lines bread and butter. However, I and many others feel the line had been reduced to just best sellers. Like S/S '06 and '07 felt like high fashion London and NYC hipster uniforms and not in a good way. I agree with OMC on the idea that the basic could be more profound. Maybe Hedi was a victim of finding a good formula one season and being forced to follow it hence forth by the men in suits. Whatever the case I do look forward to what KVA will do based on his presentation. As for what menswear brand is really worth looking out for IMHO, Lanvin Homme or Burberry Prorsum. The prices are ridiculous for Lanvin, however I think the clothes are real mens clothes with a direction.

P.S. I own a Fall '06 wool coat (the military one with the clip cosure @ the CF), a Fall '05 dress shirt (cotton voile and lurex half pintucked shirt), and S/S '07 boots. I also work as a designer. Does that make my opinion anymore valid?

I was just trying to say that almost everybody's got some sort of art/design background on this board. Then there's people who have followed fashion for a very long time, etc.

Basically, unless you're Hedi himself, you have as much credibility as everyone else.

And I didn't say your opinion wasn't valid, just illustrated why I disagree with it. :)

Well, everything I say is speculation (as is everyone's comments here), which I've tried to make clear. Also, I did acknowledge the fact that it is a business on my first post in this thread, which I quoted for clarity.

I feel like this argument is really circular, since I see your point and agree with it to some extent, but also agree with OMC. I guess, my main point is that I think KVA deserves some time before people in my opinion so hastily write him off. After all people were not so receptive of Raf and Pilati initially and look what they have done.

The only reason I mentioned that I owned Dior products and do fashion design professionally is the fact you called in to question whether I had ever seen the product in store or at all. Also, you mentioned that I seemed un-informed how a large fashion company goes about producing their product. I wasn't trying to make a point that it made me anymore of an authority about the situation, but rather that I had seen and owned the product (even admired enough to purchase it) and was well aware of how a company conducts their business being that I have to (unfortunately) deal with it 5 days out the week.

P.S. Anyone else here like what KVA did for Dior better than any of his own full collections, I know I do.

soooo true about Stefano. too true actually. now everyone worships him.

i definitely enjoy what KVA seems to be aiming at now with Dior more than what

he's done on his own, although, after reading the interview with im in New York magazine, i am perhaps a little biased, because he came across so well..

read here: Dior Man

P.S. Anyone else here like what KVA did for Dior better than any of his own full collections, I know I do.

Not to kill your enthusiasm, but I disagree. Somehow got the feeling that KVA might have put more passion and possibly more 'life' into his own Spring 08 collection. I loved the fantasy/fairy-tale implications; with just the right amount of avant-garde to make any seriously fashion-savvy man envious.

I felt that KVA came accross as a bit rectrictive in his choice of outfits and designs for the new Dior Homme, almost as if he was somehow seeking approval of LVMH. I hope his next DH collection will be as quirky as his own line.

• 4 weeks later...

True. Took the words right out of my mouth. Still, it's a pity though. I really liked Hedi Slimane. PLEASE DO A WOMAN'S LINE!