Dior Homme S/S 2008

AA60322

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, this is very mediocre. I'm going to guess this is all we'll see for now as I don't think he had a lot of time to get ready for a Spring collection showing for Dior especially with his own line to take care of.

But I too will hold back judgement untill the rest of the collection is viewable.

this was a big mistake by LVMH or Hedi....whose ever choice it was...

by looking and hearing that KVA had worked with slimane and knows his vision...

i dont see that in this collection....say bye to dior homme

did you see the "new" website...?!

the old site is gone...with all the music from all the runways....im gona miss the plisse...haha

Nothing strikes me so far.

i think that might be somewhat intentional

kva probably knows that no matter what he does out of the gate - barring a truly revolutionary and/or brilliant collection - there will be backlash/hating/rolling of eyes etc.

not saying he's necessarily capable of brilliance down the road, but i see the sense in playing it cool/subtle for the first couple seasons

just a thought

well DH's forte has always been the formal wear IMO, casual stuff was just made to sell...look at early collections, no casual wear up until Follow Me, and even then it was casual pieces in a more dressed up context. It was cool up to VotC, which I thought blended formal/casual and the "high-low" phenomenon perfectly. S/S 05 onwards was just casual mass market stuff styled cleverly...

haven't seen this yet, but i can't imagine it being any good if it was KVA doing it. Not a fan of KVA to begin with, but the reason i say that is because KVA's only really had what, 2-3 months to prep this whole collection from scratch? Too rushed, probably fell back on too much of the existing DH template to come up with anything fresh. And if it wasn't KVA it's probably the design/marketing teams who came up with it, in that case it wouldn't be much different from the past 4-5 seasons, except maybe with less direction...

well DH's forte has always been the formal wear IMO, casual stuff was just made to sell...look at early collections, no casual wear up until Follow Me, and even then it was casual pieces in a more dressed up

agreed. people often forget that dior homme built its name on formalwear; it was hedi's original vision for the direction of the label.

from the few small thumbnails the collection looks 'nice'

i'm not too disappointed as I've stopped buying new season dior stuff for over a year already. my needs for slim black pants, nice blazers and dress shirts is pretty much satisfied anyways so i guess it's time to branch out to a bit more fun stuff like RO or Ann dem.

• 5 weeks later...
I thought KVA was supposed to be working on a new direction? This looks like Hedi Slimane by Kris Van Assche

Well, Hedi did establish what Dior Homme is. To me this seems like he's keeping that same direction in mind while trying to offer something a little different (seems more mature?). This is the kind of stuff I would have expected for Spring/Summer following Hedi's AW06 collection. Looks like it has potential, I'm looking forward to his AW collection.

Well, Hedi did establish what Dior Homme is.

No. Hedi took Dior in his asthetic direction obviously, but Dior has been a fashion powerhouse looooong before any of us knew the name Hedi Slimane. Galliano... Tom Ford... fucking Dior himself.

No. Hedi took Dior in his asthetic direction obviously, but Dior has been a fashion powerhouse looooong before any of us knew the name Hedi Slimane. Galliano... Tom Ford... fucking Dior himself.

I'm not sure if this post was supposed to be a joke because you seem obviously misinformed.

There was no Dior Homme at the time of Dior actually heading the house nor was there a Dior Homme at the time of Yves Saint Laurent heading Dior. Dior Homme did not exist as a brand until Hedi came on as creative director of Dior's menswear divison (the darts, bee, color pallette, etc.).

Therefore, Dior Homme and it's aesthetic are all the creation of Hedi Slimane. The relevance of Dior as a house has little to do with the Dior Homme's direction as it never existed until relevantly recently in the span the houses life.

Also, Tom Ford never had anything to do with Dior. He worked for Gucci group and only headed YSL and Gucci. YSL when he was younger headed Dior and Hedi started out at YSL menswear design and left to Dior when Ford came in, but that is the extent of Tom Ford's involvement with Dior.

If anything, KVS S/S '08 presentation was more in line with what I would expect Dior's menswear to look like based on the work of Dior and YSL for Dior.