red wing vs. alden

the_state

i'm VERY interested in picking up a pair of brown boot-like shoes. something simple and casual that will last me a while. after sifting through the "shoes that get better with age" thread, it seems like the alden indy boot is my number one pick, but i'm a little hesitant b/c of the price. red wings also seem like a good option, but most of the good looking models don't seem to be available in the states (any reason why?!). the 875's seem good, but the 8160 looks really good to me. if anyone's got some experience with either model, and wants to drop some knowledge (pros or cons), it'd be much appreciated. thanks.

How can you compare Alden to Red Wings. They are in different leagues. It seems to me that you know the answer to your dilemna. Buy Red Wings.

well not really, that's why i made the post. i like the price point of the 875, but i much prefer the models that aren't available here. i also think the indy boot is gorgeous, but i $350 w/ tax is a little steep for me. i was more wondering if the quality of the alden justify's the nearly doubled price of the 875. but hey, thanks for the snooty answer.

well not really, that's why i made the post. i like the price point of the 875, but i much prefer the models that aren't available here. i also think the indy boot is gorgeous, but i $350 w/ tax is a little steep for me. i was more wondering if the quality of the alden justify's the nearly doubled price of the 875. but hey, thanks for the snooty answer.

To answer your question, I don't feel that they justify double the price. Let's put it this way though: the Aldens are still a good price/value @ $350, but the Red Wings are an even better price/value.

I have a couple pairs of Alden shoes (not the Indys mind you) and am really not that impressed by the way they age; the soles are warped, the leather has huge unsightly creases and odd discoloration, etc. I know enthusiasts from the "Shoes that look better with age thread" might scoff at this but I haven't been blown away by any of the pictures posted of the Aldens that SFers have. From the Indys that I've surveyed/tried on in stores I can tell you that they do not feel or look on par with my Red Wings:

http://www.cultizm.com/shop/product_info.php?info=p97_RED-WING-BOOTS---1908-D-DARK-BROWN.html

The leather on these things is thick as hell yet simultaneously supple. I can't recommend Red Wings more, and you don't have to take my word for it. Just about everyone I know who works in construction/engineering swears by them.

It all comes down to the look you are going for I suppose. Both are decent enough quality for what I'm imagining you will use them for (not logging/construction). One is more dressy, one is more rugged. Alden is more artisanal, Red Wing is probably more commercial.......

Apologies to Alden fans........:eek:

Red Wings 875 or 813s. I like the white sole, the rugged look. Get it at Dave's. I think it's between 15th and 16th on 6th. Cheaper there. If you want the suede one or the 1905s I think they'll special order for a deposit.

I also like Eric Claptons which aren't available anywhere I looked, but I'll be fine with the 875s for now.

Aldens are cool, just not for me right now.

I have white crepe soled Redwings .. don't know the number. Camel suede and Tan leather ... awesomely well made, tremendously comfortable and practically indestructible. Just get them resoled when you wear them down.

Thought about Alden a bit recently but they ain't me. would like to find an alternative to Redwings just for the change, but haven't really got that many ideas from what I've seen around.

I can recommend red wings aswell, got a bunch and they are of course really nice, not just the 875s. The crepe sole is great in winter, good traction on snow/ice and warm. That seems to be the major drawback of the alden indys imo, but that depends on what climate you live in of course.

If you get a pair of 875s in the right size, I dont think you´ll get dissapointed.

_state — if you're getting RW from Dave's, I remember that the salesguy said they could special order the 1905s, if you put down a deposit. It's the one the 875 is modelled after, an anniversary edition (came out 2005, I guess). Slightly different leather, with leather laces. You've seen some in miz's shoe thread.

i have the alden indy, i don't have the red wing though. I've thought about getting the red wings, but for me the aldens were a more versatile choice because they're not as casual and bulky as the red wing, though I do like the look of them. The Indy boot can kind of be dressed up a little bit.

I would get the one you like the most and not let price influence your choice too much either way. It's not like you'll need to buy a replacement to either one for quite some time.....these are long term boots so it's important to get the one you want to live with the longest...and get the made in usa ones;)

i have the alden indy, i don't have the red wing though. I've thought about getting the red wings, but for me the aldens were a more versatile choice because they're not as casual and bulky as the red wing, though I do like the look of them. The Indy boot can kind of be dressed up a little bit.

I would get the one you like the most and not let price influence your choice too much either way. It's not like you'll need to buy a replacement to either one for quite some time.....these are long term boots so it's important to get the one you want to live with the longest...and get the made in usa ones;)

dressing it up is a slight concern. i think i'm gonna have to just check both out in person and see which one fits my needs the best.

Bottom line is that both boots are worth buying; just depends on what you want. RW's are a taller silouette, and with a crepe sole look much more like construction worker boots. The sole also gives a great comfort level and cushioning on concrete

The Aldens are more of a Gentlemens work boot; lower profile and look more like regular shoes if you wear a nice pair of pants with them (khakis or the like....not slacks) The composit sole is harder, but presents a more traditional look, and should last longer than a crepe sole under normal city walking conditions.

Overall I'd say the RW's are alittle more "I'm a construction worker badass" as opposed to the Aldens which say "I'm a refined badass, who'll kick your ass in a traditional manner"

i got a pair of alden's. i dont own any red wings. so all i can say is that aldens are pretty good quality shoes. been thinking of getting a pair of red wings just for comparison but there are many other things on my to buy list before i can even consider.

you might want to check out miznation's blog. he gots a few pics of some alden shoes.

http://mizanation.com/mizblog/

Bill put it best.

I have both, and they're just different looks. Heres a picture from a little while back, the RWs are vintage, but the ones you're considereing still have a similar profile, so you get the idea.

alden405_redwing510.jpg

Ok, Bill's post was definitely great, but am I correct to assume that the majority of this post is for the fashion aspect?

My concern is that I need a good boot for city walking. I would like it to be comfortable, but it needs to be somewhat rugged. I'm moving to Chicago so there will be plenty of times that I'll be walking many city blocks in the snow & rain. Therefore my criteria goes:

1) comfort (both foot & elements) 2) durability 3) looks.

I already know that I'm not in the Alden category because I'd like to keep them under $200. But what about Danners? I've heard a couple people mention them on here & they are what my brother-in-law has for hunting/outdoor and he swears by them.

Any recommendations?

Also, Drivel...where in Louisville are good places to look at boots? Or were yours eBay scores? thanks.

trees, you can take out durability, as they're both tough as fuck. I still see vintage RW Irish Setters selling on ebay, and they look awesome.

As for comfort, all I can say is the white crepe soles on the RWs make the impact a lot softer than for any of the other non-sneaker shoes I've got. Find your proper size and you'll be one happy guy.