WHAT DO YOU DRIVE?

Selegna

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with the 3-series is that each model was a huge jump from it's predecessor. As time passed, it became larger, softer, and less performance oriented. 33 years later, the current 3 doesn't even fit the original idea of the car.

I'd say that the e36 fit the idea of a luxury/sports car very well. It was made with a conservative blend of luxury, but without too much of a compromise. The e46 is soft in comparison, while the e30 was a bit too hard. Perhaps this is why people who like the 3 are so fond of the e36 (myself included).

I understand what you mean about preferring the e46 M3 since the e46 and the e92 are so different. The e46 will certainly be remembered as the last 'real' 3-series.

Personally though, I would prefer the e90 335i. I like how it blends in as an everyday hoe-hum bimmer, but can outperform cars most people wouldn't expect it to. The new n54 engine is just spectacular. A couple thousand dollars for an ECU adapter and exhuast, and the car is faster than the new M3. Plus, the company is expected to offer a limited-slip differential as an option for the 1's and 3's soon (something they haven't done for 15 years).

Looks like you've done your research! Sorry but i lost my passion for BMWs with Chris Bangle's designs. I much rather prefer the C6 or IS350 over the 335i for the price.

Looks like you've done your research! Sorry but i lost my passion for BMWs with Chris Bangle's designs. I much rather prefer the C6 or IS350 over the 335i for the price.

I know that for some reason Bangle receives all the hate for the newer designs, but he became head of design for BMW in '92 and is responsible for the E46, E39, Z8, etc.

I know that for some reason Bangle receives all the hate for the newer designs, but he became head of design for BMW in '92 and is responsible for the E46, E39, Z8, etc.

You're not making any sense. What does one have to do with the other?

For some reason Hitler receives all the hate for killing millions of Jews, but he got us out of the Great Depression.

You're not making any sense. What does one have to do with the other?

For some reason Hitler receives all the hate for killing millions of Jews, but he got us out of the Great Depression.

You said you lost your passion for BMWs with Bangle's designs. If you lost your passion with the E46 or E39, then more power to you, you're one of the few I'm sure.

Bangle has been the director of design, but the one who actually designed the E39, along with the Z3 and several others (I think the E46 as well) was a Japanese guy.

Cars are designed years before they're ever released to the public. There's no way that Bangle's inception in 1992 could've precluded the design of the E39, which was probably being shown in late 1995.

I'm not so fond of Bangle's designs either, but that really doesn't have much to do with what's under the skin...

I'm originally an E30 guy myself and took the BMWCCA track courses in them, loved them, thrashed the hell out of the 2 I had, but I understand where BMW has had to go to with the E90/2 series to keep them ahead of the pack... and for the record, the E36 was more shocking of a change from the E30 than the E46 or E90 ever were from their predecessors...

I recongnize the sn from Audiworld, but haven't gone on that site in a while.

He has a red TT, right? His interior is insane.

Don't think he's been on in a long time, I helped him out with some shit for the M like the solar paneled oem sunroof. The tt was the beater.

Not a huge fan of the dtm's but car is clean.

PS. I can't stand fuckin Bangle, him and Hooydonk fucked everything up which is why I'm jumping ship to porshe. I'm gonna miss this (with my old custom 5x120 works)

minedh2.jpg

You said you lost your passion for BMWs with Bangle's designs. If you lost your passion with the E46 or E39, then more power to you, you're one of the few I'm sure.

i have a passion for my e46 m3 :)

PS. I can't stand fuckin Bangle, him and Hooydonk fucked everything up which is why I'm jumping ship to porshe. I'm gonna miss this (with my old custom 5x120 works)

seems like everyone goes from an M3 to a porshe... nice car/wheels btw

There seems to be a lot of love on here for the E36 body styling, but I personally think the E46 cannot be beat. A triple black E46 with SMG transmission, some Dinan tweaks and HRE wheels is a dream of mine.

I think I'd turn down the new E92 M3 (I think the code is E92) and opt for an E46 even.

I'm a bit of a purist, I'd take a nicely done E30 M3 of any of them. I am pretty interested in the E92, I'd like to ride in the first M3 with a V8. A girlfriend of mine's dad is on the waiting list for one, hopefully he lets me take it for a spin. :D

haha wow, that's crazy. small world. yeah i definitely have seen your car on vadriven and stuff. my friend's name with the E30 is tomgt325 - he's on r3v and e30tech. and i also knowhe used to have a flat black E30 with a white trunk, but he sold it and got an E36. then i know his friend rva e30 who works at bimmerworld in radford.

haha wow, definitely a small world.

Don't think he's been on in a long time, I helped him out with some shit for the M like the solar paneled oem sunroof. The tt was the beater.

minedh2.jpg

Thats a nice looking E46 man. What Porsche are you stepping up to? I've always had a thing for the 993, although they're all nice.

i have a passion for my e46 m3 :)

seems like everyone goes from an M3 to a porshe... nice car/wheels btw

Thanks man, only logical. All of my friends have been long time bmw enthusiasts and they're all jumping ship too b/c of the bangled designs. I want to like the e92 but I just can't plus the M brand has become so diluted with extraneous electronics and progressive weight gain. They're bringing the csl to america to replace what Motorsport once represented.

Thats a nice looking E46 man. What Porsche are you stepping up to? I've always had a thing for the 993, although they're all nice.

Always loved the last of the air-cooled porsches as well, especially the turbo s but I like more contemporary driver's cars. A buddy of mine has a black gt3-rs with orange details dumped on factory c/o cornerbalanced by gmg. That is the only car that would ever complete my life. I would be happy however with a jet black gt3 though the 997 iteration isn't as "hard-edged" as it's 996 counterpart. Not much of a lambo/fcar fan but I love challenge/stradales too.

1997 was last model year for the air cool 911s, right? I was looking at some to go in with some friends as a project car. they are not cheap. we had about 20k between the 3 of us, and could not find a good deal.

Some time around then before the 996s came out and they hold their value like crazy. Turbos are still commanding a ton of money and there really aren't many deals to be had. Turbo S prices are astronomical too.