Old(er) Country Music

englandmj7

Or are we only allowed to like western/cowboy-related things if they come from Japan?

I was raised on this shit anyway.

Anyone else care to admit/share?

........there are other country artists besides Johnny Cash (although he is fantastic as well).

are we just talking country, or is the pre-country mountain music ok aswell?

roscoe holcomb, dock boggs, bascomo lamar lunsford etc are very raw and interesting. Woody Guthrie aswell, even though he´s not really in the same vein.

Got a compilation called "classic mountain songs" that is pretty much aswsome straight through...

otherwise, Im a pretty big Cash fan.

He said "Mr Motherfucker, you know who I am"

The barkeeper said, "No, and I don't give a good goddamn"

To Stagger Lee

He said, "Well bartender, it's plain to see

I'm that bad motherfucker called Stagger Lee"

Mr. Stagger Lee

Barkeep said, "Yeah, I've heard your name down the way

And I kick motherfucking asses like you every day"

Mr Stagger Lee

Well those were the last words that the barkeep said

'Cause Stag put four holes in his motherfucking head

The wikipedia on Stagger Lee is pretty interesting, remarkable how the song resonated across several different genres and generations.

Old mountain music is like the Grime of the appalachians (sp?) I love that shit. I have one of those collections of old 78's curated by John Fahey with one of the most haunting renditions of go down moses I have heard in my life. That shit gives me chills everytime I throw it on.

I also like Gillian Welch to drink alone to.

The blue sky boys Down on the banks of the Ohio gets me ready for remorseless killing...with a slight aftertaste of regret.

this is a bit of a derail but Harry Smiths Anthologies of Folk Music are amazing and well worth the premium

anyone know that story about how gram parsons wanted to burned in the desert, so his buddies stole his body from the morgue and did just that? his buddy (i think the producer of many parsons records?) got jail time for it

anyone know that story about how gram parsons wanted to burned in the desert, so his buddies stole his body from the morgue and did just that? his buddy (i think the producer of many parsons records?) got jail time for it

Phil Kaufman, yeah.

No jail time- stealing the body wasn't a crime, but burning the coffin in Joshua Tree

National was- so he got fined $700.

The charred corpse of Parsons was returned to his family and buried in NOLA.

not that old (came out in '86, i think) but steve earle's guitar town was one of the best american records of the 80s

also, it you dig some of the other stuff being discussed check out richard hawley

he used to play guitar with pulp, and his solo stuff mixes a sort of old country vibe with scott walker undertones

he does this otherworldly version of troublesome waters that makes me well up like a bitch

Old mountain music is like the Grime of the appalachians (sp?) I love that shit. I have one of those collections of old 78's curated by John Fahey with one of the most haunting renditions of go down moses I have heard in my life. That shit gives me chills everytime I throw it on.

I also like Gillian Welch to drink alone to.

The blue sky boys Down on the banks of the Ohio gets me ready for remorseless killing...with a slight aftertaste of regret.

Very well put!

Do you have a title for that Fahey collection? I cant find any information about it. Thanks for the Welch tip aswell, looking her up right now.

Merle Haggard made a long string of great records. Townes Van Zandt is a Texas folk/country hero who wrote some great songs. Willie made several great records in the 70s. Lee Hazlewood made a bunch of great, weird country-pop albums (some dueting with Nancy Sinatra.

There is a ton of good stuff out there, you just have to dig a little. I would start with George Jones and Merle Haggard's early records. Listen to some Hank Williams. Ernest Tubb... there you go.

anybody else get really pissed when people say "oh i like all kinds of music... except country"

i once slapped a little girl in the mouth 'cause she said that, put her in a fedex box, mailed her to nashville, took the amtrak there, claimed the package, spit in her mouth, and then made her pray 10 hail marys while jabbing spurs into her soft belly.

i once slapped a little girl in the mouth 'cause she said that, put her in a fedex box, mailed her to nashville, took the amtrak there, claimed the package, spit in her mouth, and then made her pray 10 hail marys while jabbing spurs into her soft belly.

Bravo.

and yes, who doesn't.

Merle and Hank are favorites of mine..

I actually love Wayne Hancock and Hank III because their stuff is the closest NEW music that sounds like the old stuff in terms of style and lyrics...

anybody else get really pissed when people say "oh i like all kinds of music... except country"

I listen to all kinds of music, essentially except country, just because I don't know shit about it. I have some great John Fahey stuff like RBW mentioned (I think it was RBW, at least) and some of his collections, but only because I love fingerstyle guitar and just have everything John Fahey I can get my hands on. Kottke, shit like that.

I have spent the time this thread has been in existence attempting to educate myself.

Very well put!

Do you have a title for that Fahey collection? I cant find any information about it. Thanks for the Welch tip aswell, looking her up right now.

http://www.revenantrecords.com/?section=releases&cd_ident=17

It's a really dope compilation if you can track it down. The sound is all old and crackles like a motherfucker. I love it.

Welch is more on some mournful (and certainly contemporary) appalachain blues with the kind of "Female singer/songwriter" treatment, and I expected alot of people to trash her here because of the general obbsession with things simply for their percieved 'avante-gardeness". But she makes a quality tune, So I fucks with that.

or0cd3.jpg

You know...that kind of shit^^^....except dope.

yeah i hate that shit. one of the most annoying things people can say.

this usually means, "i listen to top 20 pop music. only."