28 weeks later

broneck

Good gravy, I just had to see what fellow superfuturians had to say about this movie.

I don't generally do the whole independent review thing, but I feel compelled to rant about this movie. This is one of the only sequels in history (barring Empire and, arguably, Last Crusade) that actually trumps the original. Some people will bitch about plot holes and such (But why weren't they guarding the door?) but really with a little thought they're not really major and don't make the film any less enjoyable/believeable.

The first 10 minutes are probably the most intense minutes of anything I've ever seen. The film paced itself well from there on out, and the plot turned out to be way more believeable and thought out than I ever expected.

I walked into this movie expecting to despise it, being a huge fan of the original, but I came out of the theatre shocked, amazed, and a little scared to go into dark rooms (several couples left the theatre before the opening credits even rolled, presumably due to the extreme violence and intensity of the intro).

Seriously, check out this film, then come here to talk about how much you loved it/hated it.

Cheers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i fucking loved the first one. and was really skeptical hearing about a sequel and even more so when i found out that boyle didn't direct. but i've heard good things thus far. will have to check it out now for sure!

interested in seeing boyle's sunshine as well

not enough leopard print for you?

i don't understand how there can be enough for anybody? I SLEPT THRU THIS SHITTY MOVIE. NUTHING COMPELED ME. LAME. WACK. BOOOOORING. I SHUD HAV WATCHED LEEG OF EXTRODINARY GENTLEMEN INSTED. THTS HOW WAK THIS SHIT WUZ. THE CUTE BLK CHIK DDNT EVEN FCK DA GUY.

I met Danny Boyle after he sat down for an interview during my school's arts week. He described his style as "smashing together elements beauty and violence," but didn't seem to think much of just shooting crude gore/exploitation. His producer was shocked that he didnt want to direct the sequel, given the surprise success of the original. Bits of "Sunshine" were also filmed in a small studio down the road; hopefully the film properly outdoes its predecessors...

i will concede that the movie is more action intensive than 28 days, but i think that's why i preferred it...sure Days was brilliant because of its subtle allegroical contexts, and Weeks does really sacrifice that subtlety for brute force, but it still acts as a metaphor for something bigger...and really, this movie scared the shit out of me like no other has managed to do, not simply in a jumpy startling way, but in the way it portrays the sheer terror of the situation. And westide, there's no WAY you'll sleep through this movie.

i did, but i was so high i couldnt help it

i only slept from like where they go to meet their dad to when the dad gets infected though

but i wasnt scared that badly from it

and i defintely like days much much more

weeks was all about too much shit thats greater than people

like that gene that kid's family had that lets him be a carrier, its all stuff thats all like

man, think about how that could affect humanity and shit, and it does paris gets owned

but i prefered 28 days because it wasnt about that worldly shit, no

one person infected all of france, it was more personalized with this small group

of people, and i felt for them alot more,

and the eye gouging in this one was fucking weak, i still cant bring myself to watch the one in the first one, but this one was sloppy, and executed poorly, any good actor should know how to properly execute one of these.

also the soundtrack.

i like godspeed dont get me wrong, but having an entire soundtrack revolve around a single song/or little musical motif thing just gets redundant. i think throwing in some different postrock-rock outs would have made it all enjoyable for me ebcause then i wouldnt be thinking, this sounds like the same shit i heard 5 minutes ago, which sounds just like east hastings anyway but not as good.

i also didnt feel the casting. the dad seemed spot on (but the whole thing about him chasing after his kids specifically is such bullshit and was just fucking corny i thought)

the kids didnt do it for me though, while they were great actors and all

they didnt manage to do shit for me, i didnt care much for the kid.

i sympathized with the girl a bit. but just for having beautiful eyes and killing her dad at the same time.

and the soldier seemed way too. look at me damnit im american, im here to kick ass, run through exploding shit and roast hot dogs and reminisc about the civil war.

which was hardcore whenever during those rock out zombie explosion scenes

but just seemed to placed in there for me.

it was still a pretty good movie

a bit too overproduced it seemed.

but did anyone else see the face of george washington

they zoomed out hardcore on the bombing on london

i fucking swear i saw his face made up by all the lines of exploding streets.

Saw it yesterday, loved the first one, didn't mind the second one as well. Won't give any spoilers but damn, thought they had him in the beginning with the chase. I love zombie flicks.

Loved the first on thats why I had to see 28 weeks but it was LAME. What made days such a good movie is that it was smart and intense. I:m one of those people who thinks through movies and this one had so many holes in it ...honestly this movie insults my intelligence...and unfortunately I put on my smart cap before watching this one. Lots of intensity..movie looks great but dont expect much from plot. But all wasnt lost I did get to make out with hot japanese guy followed by ramen..YAY!!

just out of curiousity, what were the holes that insulted your intelligence?

Okay ...well I dont: want to spoil for everyone who hasnt seen it so if you havent stop reading now.

Well the first was that the father who was not part of the medical staff or the military had a pass that could basically take him anywhere. Put aside for a second that their world was almost taken oven by zombies a civilian having that kind of access is stupid. Next two kids who just got the london after years being able to manuever themselves through this ARMY CONTROLLED base like it was a playground without being stopped until after they drive to their old house and walk around. You would think they would have cameras or stop them when they saw them immediately. The base itself was not at all secured as they would close one door and the zombies would come in through the back door??? DUMB. Also the army guy why couldnt he just radio to someone and say hey I:m not a zombie...as far as we know when infected youre not exactly chatty wouldnt that be a dead give away theat they have yet to be infected?? why not radio and tell them im here with the doctor and she had two kids here that could be help to cure this get them out of here..... and yet he could clearly talk to his friend who was in the helicopter. And dont get me started on the ending. I wanted to love this movie or even like it enough to be worth my $11 but Nay..sir ..NAY:mad:

Although I did enjoy this movie a lot I have to say I agree with this review of the movie from E! even if it's a little extreme. The action in weeks just doesn't really do it for me I think the military presence takes away from the apocalyptic feeling in the first one.

(maybe minor spoilers)

Things that annoyed me about the movie are how they added the military as another group of bad guys that the main characters had to defend against. And how the dad kept popping up and stalking the kids and that he seemed intelligent enough to recognize them; I mean its suppose to be a rage virus were they don't think they just go bezerk. So yeah the dad was pretty corny.

I might be wrong about this one but I think that in days the infected never were out in the day light, all the scenes in days with infected were either at night, in a tunnel, or inside a dark building. In weeks they didn't continue this.

Didn't like any of the characters except maybe the pre-infected dad.

The opening scene was by far the best part of the movie. I wish more of the movie was like that.

Review By E!:

Review in a Hurry: Just when you thought it was safe to inhabit London, the armed struggle against the undead flares up again! Sadly, we are only armed with lackluster actors and a crappy screenplay. The result: a sequel that tarnishes the greatness of its predecessor.

The Bigger Picture: The much anticipated follow up to Danny Boyle's surprisingly wonderful 28 Days Later is, to put it lightly, a total failure. Fans of the original will be annoyed that charming smarts and existential pondering have been replaced by flat characters, few thrills and the equivalent of daytime-TV dialogue.

The story picks up with London on lockdown, after NATO has sent in surly, crass American troops to contain a zombie virus that devoured most of England's population. The troops have secured a wide swath of the city and, six months after the virus originally hit, the Brits are being let back in.

A family with adorable accents is reunited, and all seems well—for about three minutes. Until the children scamper out of bounds and bump into their mother, who they thought was dead. Turns out mama is now a Mombie—half mom, half zombie. She gets back into the containment zone and, through a series of silly events, the virus busts out all over again.

The last hour is devoted to a tedious chase, with the role of villain—once handled by the hungry undead—now played by trigger-happy Americans. Some believe this twist is a clever political allegory. Those people are wrong, they are lying to you, and they wish to do you harm. There's more political commentary in my bowl of Cheerios than in this 90-minute test of patience.

The script never takes the time to develop any character worth caring about, and with the exception of the grossly underused Robert Carlyle, the performances are ordinary and obvious.

What'smost frustrating is how seriously this movie takes itself. There's no humor, little wit, and it's not even that scary. By the end, I was cheering for the zombies, who could at least offer me the sweet relief of death.

The 180—a Second Opinion: There are some unintentionally laughable parts, so if you go in with a light heart and low expectations, you may come out feeling satisfied.

The ending left me thinking "so what?" and how is this going to be any different other than the obvious location.

I have no regrets on seeing it as i'm a fan of the first one and the idea of a zombie/virus/outbreak. It had its intense moments and wasn't too bad of a movie. It just think it could have been better and that it wasn't as good as Days.

I want the next one to focus on a small group of civilians trying to survive the virus without the military involved in everything which was sort of boring.

The ending to 28 Days Later was complete garbage, but the rest of the film was, for the most part, great. The way is was shot especially. I'll eventually seen 28 Weeks Later, probably on DVD.