28 weeks later

broneck

haja, you actually called the one part of the movie that didn't make sense to me (why didn't he radio the sniper instead of shooting him?) ... i however LOVED the ending, I think it's about perfect, and 28 months later or whatever is going to ruin what is the ideally horrible depressing ending...

as far as the dad hunting them being corny, i half agree, but the child at the beginning definitely forshadowed it (mentioned his parents following him for days). As far as the army being a new enemy for them to fight, this was similar to the premise in 28 days...in a state of chaos we become our own enemies.

I really seem to be going against the grain here, but with a little suspension of disbelief, 28 weeks did what it set out to accomplish, and that's make a more simple horror movie that was still fucking amazing.

finally if you're looking for the same allegorical meanings that the original held, consider isolationism. i've grown lazy and don't want to type anymore, but wikipedia it and it'll make sense.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jmatsu

i guess the consensus here was that 28days later was far better a film then 28weeks.

jut like someone mentioned, i wanted to love this film, but could not. the characters were almost likeable, but i felt there wasn't enough development to actually make viewers totally empathize with them or their plight. the action sequences were choppy and it's details were difficult. this horror film failed to really scare or surprise. very disapointed. i gues the soundtrack was pretty good. no suprise alternate ending after the credits like it predessesor (don't want to see them enough to actually buy the dvd...if they exist that is).

Guest jmatsu
haja, you actually called the one part of the movie that didn't make sense to me (why didn't he radio the sniper instead of shooting him?) ... i .

i wondered about this as well, but i assumed that his military standing/status was compromised because he left his rooftop post or because he disobeyed order and was trying to protect the kids who were supposed to be eliminated.

* SPOILERS *

justhaja brought up some great points. it makes no sense why and how the army would allow two kids to sneak through a military controlled quarantine and wait what must have been two hours before retreiving them (it would've been more likely that the kids were stopped immediately after being spotted).

as found on imdb.com

"They throw all the civilians into an barely secure basement that just one infected person can break into using nothing but brute physical force. Not only they, but they leave it completely unguarded. Yes, that's right, the only way that the incident could possibly turn into a disaster is if a large portion of the population gets infected and instead of making it a priority to keep the population protected (and the infection from spreading) they lock them all in an unguarded room"

&

"The kids' father is a civilian who, in reality, probably is nothing more than a care-taker/superintendent for one of the buildings. And yet he has access to secure military areas, including quarintine areas... Areas that he has no need whatsoever to access... So he can walk in and see his unguarded wife... His unguarded wife who has the deadliest virus known to mankind pumping through her veins."

&

"They have 360 degrees out of the circle to run in, they pick a direction, run, and yet somehow their father chooses the exact same direction to run and stumbles upon them in a completely random and pitch black subway station... Right... "

in response to the last point. even if don had retained some level of intellegence that allowed him to recognize and track down his own children, it would have been highly unlikely that he survived the initial chemical attack. now let's assume that somehow don avoids the chemical cloud (unlikely), when his children and the major were driving around the city getting chased down by apache choppers, how on earth could don have caught up with the car?

/\

I think it showed a bunch of infected entering the tunnels way earlier before the whole chemicals and car chase scene, the dad could have been in that group? idk of course that wouldn't explain why he was the only one in the subway. yeah there were some irritating holes in the film but I actually do think it was really good just didn't live up to its predecessor.

haja, you actually called the one part of the movie that didn't make sense to me (why didn't he radio the sniper instead of shooting him?) ... i however LOVED the ending, I think it's about perfect, and 28 months later or whatever is going to ruin what is the ideally horrible depressing ending...

as far as the dad hunting them being corny, i half agree, but the child at the beginning definitely forshadowed it (mentioned his parents following him for days). As far as the army being a new enemy for them to fight, this was similar to the premise in 28 days...in a state of chaos we become our own enemies.

I really seem to be going against the grain here, but with a little suspension of disbelief, 28 weeks did what it set out to accomplish, and that's make a more simple horror movie that was still fucking amazing.

finally if you're looking for the same allegorical meanings that the original held, consider isolationism. i've grown lazy and don't want to type anymore, but wikipedia it and it'll make sense.

Nice post especially for noticing the foreshadowing of the parents following the kid part I didn't remember/notice that. I want to see this again if not in theaters i'll just buy it or rent it. I had to leave to go to the bathroom like 5 times during the whole thing so I might have missed some crucial stuff.

28 days seems to be a much better looking movie. i think it looks much more artistic with the opening scenes and such. however this 28 weeks looks a bit more like run of mill horror "zombie movei"

this couldn't have been more true.

The ending to 28 Days Later was complete garbage, but the rest of the film was, for the most part, great. The way is was shot especially. I'll eventually seen 28 Weeks Later, probably on DVD.

which ending, there were like 3 of them.

i liked the movie, certainly not as good as the first, but a decent sequel. looks like 28monthslater is coming

okay, so i just watched it a second time, and i'm gonna have to go against my own OP. i made the mistake of not being as into the horror of the moment, and suddenly all the plot holes that i'd initially explained away came back 10 fold...well, not so much. i suppose really its someone elses plot hole, and it really nullifies the whole film from the very beginning: TOO FUCKING SOON. shit, this virus is insane, and they know how fast it spreads and how unpredictable it is...they wouldn't reintrodue civilians for waaaaay longer

they would extract any survivors they found, then REALLY sweep the fucking place, for years. i think this made me really pissed more than any other little hole (why wasn't that door guarded, why were they all in one room, why did daddy track them, etc etc...)

Saw it last night, thought it was alright. The relationship to the first film is extremely tenuous though--the sequel is basically just a generic blow-up-some-zombies movie tacked into the 28 Days "universe". But, as far as that sorta movie goes, it's pretty decent.

I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't a little ballsier with some of the political aspects--there's an obvious parallel to the American presence in Iraq, for one, and there were also a couple moments where I thought it might touch on the British obsession with pervasive video monitoring, but none were really developed.

Also, I think the dad character's story arc should have ended with him eating his wife--he really didn't need to keep popping up again (and again and again and again).

i don't see the point of picking out holes in the movie, it's about zombies...

It is only a zombie movie yes...and its not that serious but its not about picking out holes you cant really help but fall into the gigantic chasm this movie has . Its not like walking into wedding crashers expecting another shindlers list. This movie put out an expectation and not only fell short but was just insulting. I havent felt so violated in a movie theater since cabin fever. On a related note... while i:m venting.... doesnt: the popcorn at City Cinemas on 2nd ave suck?

It is only a zombie movie yes...and its not that serious but its not about picking out holes you cant really help but fall into the gigantic chasm this movie has . Its not like walking into wedding crashers expecting another shindlers list. This movie put out an expectation and not only fell short but was just insulting. I havent felt so violated in a movie theater since cabin fever. On a related note... while i:m venting.... doesnt: the popcorn at City Cinemas on 2nd ave suck?

how often do sequels beat the orginals? that alone should set the expectations. different writers and directors should also be a automatic red light

how often do sequels beat the orginals?

Empire Strikes Back

Last Crusade

Aliens

The Godfather Part II

Spiderman II/X2 (I didn't hate the Xmen series as most did)

not released yet, but Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer looks way better than the origianal yawnfest.

I guess that's not really that many though eh

GOD DAMMIT THEY ARE NOT ZOMBIES!!!!!! THEY ARE NOT DEAD!!!!

Dictionary.com says:

zom·bie ˈzɒmthinsp.pngbi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[zom-bee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun

the body of a dead person given the semblance of life, but mute and will-less, by a supernatural force, usually for some evil purpose.

The "infected" in 28 Days/Weeks Later are just that - LIVING PEOPLE infected with a virus known as "Rage" as was pointed out in the first 5 minutes of the first movie.... that's why they are starving to death in the first place... remember the last 5 minutes of the first movie???

Zombies are what you see in George Romero flicks! and I'm not counting the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead either because Zombies can't run!!

not released yet, but Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer looks way better than the origianal yawnfest.

Don't expect much... the original trailer was pretty good too. These movies are just good for making trailers, but the whole thing usually sucks... but I might be wrong, who knows.

Phantom. = the G.O.A.T. for that post he made...I ended up seeing the movie, and it was pretty good imo.

Ill try to make this quick the movie to me was bad other like phantom might like it but i would not advise anyone to waste their money on it. But in the interest of debating..here goes:

Okay she is not on lockdown...odd as again the whole of london was pretty much taken over by a virus that could destroy the WHOLE WORLD if allowed to spread. The last person infected died 6 months ago according to the movie. So why wouldnt a "survivor" be put on complete lockdown? by all means it should be ROUTINE customs check up she is carrying a virus that almost ended all the lives in london. And why oh why would a groundskeeper for a building not all of london have all access to an army base? Wouldnt say it pissed me off just irked me that they would think anyone over the age of 7 would think that made sense.

Next. If the area wasnt 100% secure why let people back in...They were spotted almost instantly but they let them frolic enough to get a vespa and go for a friendly sunday drive? ...again not to beat a dead horse..but ..in an area that nearly killed all the people in london? so yes..i would have appreciated the ninja customs at least then I could know that the makers of this film were just fing with us and have a good laugh.

Okay i can see that since the father was in the building already he could somehow find a way to the people but...being the as you say the army hadnt: 100% secured the outlying city wouldnt they at least secure the building or town they were occupying. What is the purpose of letting people back in if you cant secure their safety when and if they virus get out again. Did they not think this out before? no of course not they were just going to play it by ear?!

My point about the army guy is that if we are to believe that these kids are special and can somehow help to give a cure he could have just radio that to the guy in the helicopter who hadnt deserted anything and could have filtered that info to his superiors. We were led to believe that they at least the boy could have the cure in his blood thats why they were going to keep them and study them to begin with. Yes the two army people deserted them but they were still talking breathing people who could communicate with at least 1 person who could get them help but instead of talking about that and getting help sooner they played catch me if you can.

I am not saying inconsistencies do not exist in most movies but these were dumb making to movie dumb imo. it is a thread about opinons on the movie. This was mine. The END

this couldn't have been more true.

which ending, there were like 3 of them.

The ending they played in the theater. I forgot the DVD has alternate endings, never saw those. heh.

Phantom - I'm pretty sure the infected got to France through the Chunnel.

the boy carries the virus to france. it doesn't seem like you recall the sniper/delta dude asking his pilot friend to take them over the channel, and it is made apparent that he does considering the end shows his ruined helicopter and the eiffel tower.

i agree with those saying that the "inconsistencies" are fairly weak. i really enjoyed this movie a lot, it definitely passed my expectations (i had really enjoyed the first one). it wasn't overly-ambitious and i felt accomplished a lot given the scope and time frame. the soundtrack was awesome too, i enjoyed the re-use of the same song, it gave the movie a sort of frantic feeling that was a staple of the first. the beginning was also super intense and set up the rest of the movie nicely -

worth the price of admission for the helicopter scene alone.

i think all the inconsistencies pointed out are fairly valid, but i still enjoyed this more than the first one (which for me fucked up as soon as the lord of the flies, rapist soldiers were introduced).

the only plot point that almost screwed it up for me was the reoccuring dad. unnecessary.

• 3 weeks later...

i avoided this thread until i saw it. 32weeks later, i finally got myself to the theatre.

it seems like many of you were unsatisfied with the non-realistic plot... but it's another hollywood movie. it didn't really bother me that much.

i personally enjoyed....

• the catastrophic relationship portrayed by that 'kiss of death' between the husband and the wife. pay back is a bitch, jerk.

• also the helicopter scene was no doubt hilarious.

parts i did not like were

• the lack of explanation on dad's obsession with his son.

• kinda bummed me out about modern day nuclear family.

• the dumb kids. why are kids in movies such idots???? that blonde kid who came into the cabin, and of course those 2 kids that went home and magically found their mom. basically, kids screw everything up in movies.

in conclusion, i did enjoy it. just like the first one, the cinemography was beautiful. i am not sure how to put it, but somewhat depressing plot and the beautiful color scheme throughout the whole movie seems so oxymoronic and therefore agonizing. i love that.