HARDCORE SAVED MY LIFE

Arguments like this are bound to happen...it's just how shit "progresses" through time. I can't say either is right or wrong since I've been on both sides of that fence, depending on the exact topic and my age at the time.

Shit, the way things are done changes drastically every 5-10 years...from style of playing the music, to venues, to fashion, to age of the performers/artists and that of the audience, to politics, to technology, etc. I can't say that I'm mad at the bitter/jaded bunch who have less time to go to weekly shows and feel like they've lost something that was "pure" to an alien form of bastardization...nor can I be mad at the rest of the kids who are young and hate the old farts who only show up to complain about how "things have changed."

Subcultures are like relationships...you have the incredible first wave/infatuation stage...can't get enough until it dies down and then the shit hits the fan. After that, it's up to you (and your partner/community) to make the best out of it and decide whether or not you want to continue on with it or just leave with the memories.

but then again, it's the same thing in History, things go to an extreme to another and then, finally, it gets balanced.

And I agree with you guys, we all came from somewhere, we gotta start somewhere, and I was a young girl going to hardcore shows too. I found a home in the hardcore scene and it wasn't to pose, to look or be cool or anything. I guess it was just my way to go through life... And I'm not against those kids coming to shows, I used to be one of them, and even growing up, I have some friends that are younger. If the kid is at the show for the music, the scene, that he's into it and seems passionate, that's cool with me. I just don't like when it seems to be all about the look, posing. And it's not only young peeps who do that, some older dudes do it too, whoever does it, its not cool anymore, kk? thx

I started listening to punk (mostly oldschool stuff) when I was about 12. I remember the song "Identity" and "Oh Bondage Up Yours" from X-Ray Spex touching me a lot. And the more I was getting into punk and the scene, the more I felt like I needed something "harder". And then, at 16, I started dating that guy that was into hardcore. He was listening to mostly recent "fashion core" stuff, but he got me hooked on the whole scene. Reading, going to shows, meeting people, listening to music, I never stopped being interested.

Anyone who is bitching about "16 year olds" is either a sellout in denial or a burnt out pos. A lot of hardcore/punk/whatever ideals revolve around youth and keeping that mentality no matter how many years old you are... Besides, most of the people I see that are standing in the back with their fresh kicks and tough guy pose trying to look cool are older guys.
If you think its shitty then why don't you do something about it instead of complaining?

Lame people have always and will always talk about "the good ol days" when it comes to any genre of music, life, cars, denim, whatever. Thats just what a lot of people do. Im sure some of the guys who were around when you into the "scene" were saying the exact same thing about you and your peers. The people who are really passionate keep on trucking and keep the spirit alive.

Maybe the places some of you guys live have a shitty atmosphere, but I have a feeling that a lot of the 20 somethings on here are making their transition from DIY into yuppie shithead.

Its not the fact that they are 16 year old kids, thats not what bothers me, some of them are going to stick with the scene just like us "old farts" (since when is early 20s old!!!) its good to see that there is still life in the scene, its all the bandwagon jumping posers that have no loyalty to the scene and just see it as a fashion accessory. Its all the bands that are a copy of a band who are a copy of a band who are just ripping off some other band and throwing in a few breakdowns so the kids can "dance", that are just playing some bastardised version of hardcore without giving a shit where it came from.

Im not bitter that there are kids who can go to the shows and have fun when I dont have time to go or cant afford to go anymore, that would be pretty miserly of me, I just dont want to see hardcore become some meaningless subculture where fashion is the more important that the music.

I would love to get rid of all the posers and scenesters, I would love to do something about it, but I dont think anything I could do would do anything other than add fuel to the fire, so just let me bitch about them in piece.

Its not the fact that they are 16 year old kids, thats not what bothers me, some of them are going to stick with the scene just like us "old farts" (since when is early 20s old!!!) its good to see that there is still life in the scene, its all the bandwagon jumping posers that have no loyalty to the scene and just see it as a fashion accessory. Its all the bands that are a copy of a band who are a copy of a band who are just ripping off some other band and throwing in a few breakdowns so the kids can "dance", that are just playing some bastardised version of hardcore without giving a shit where it came from.

Im not bitter that there are kids who can go to the shows and have fun when I dont have time to go or cant afford to go anymore, that would be pretty miserly of me, I just dont want to see hardcore become some meaningless subculture where fashion is the more important that the music.

I would love to get rid of all the posers and scenesters, I would love to do something about it, but I dont think anything I could do would do anything other than add fuel to the fire, so just let me bitch about them in piece.

My words exactly...almost literally. +Rep if I could.

^ i was thinking about it yesterday actually. the evolution of things... Most of the bands I really like don't exist anymore. Hardcore made its evolution through punk, metal, rock, etc. It changed over the years, everybody has his favorite era or gender.

I think I like what hardcore used to be. What the scene is right now, is not what I'd like it to be. But maybe that's the evolution of hardcore?

I've always seen the hardcore scene as being something more underground and that should stay underground too. I never wanted it to be popular, trendy. Like it's cool when you find someone that like it. But if every kid on the street is listening to Trustkill records bands and claiming to be hardcore 'cause he wears camo, that pisses me off. 'cause then, when you tell people you listen to hardcore, they will immediatly associate you with those kids, or might even say "Ah, you're kindda emo".

NO

Hardcore definitely led me into alot of the stuff i like today and introduced me to alot of my friends. My city's scene though is pretty shitty. We have a couple good bands, and the rest are just copies of all the other bands. Most the kids are more about socializing and being "scene" then the music. I dont really even enjoy going to shows anymore. Ceremony got cancelled here last week here :(

Outbreak and bane are playing soon here though.

The only hardcore I listen to these days is Justice - Escapades and No Warning - Self Titled. It's been a while since I got super stoked on a hardcore release.

yo support my label... having a sale.

imr001.jpg

"Hailing from Houston, TX, Vitality! bring an old-school Orange County style of hardcore that has drawn comparisons to Unity, Uniform Choice, and 7 Seconds with the melodic hooks of Dag Nasty and intensity of Turning Point. This CD contains 8 newly recorded tracks and 7 tracks off of the demo."

http://www.myspace.com/ironmindrecords if you wanna hear some tracks

SELLING THE REST OF THE VITALITY CD'S TO MAKE HEADWAY FOR A FUTURE RELEASE. PM ME AND I WILL TELL YOU WHERE TO SEND THE $4. (These are $4 shipped, that's a steal!)

U.S.A. ONLY. SORRY GUYS, POSTAGE IS HIGH AS FUCK RIGHT NOW.