Team Fuck Off Levis

homme.homme

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I think Levi's has a right to protect their tradmark if a company does outright copies of their jeans and calls them 'repros,' but when it comes to:

ANY colour tab of ANY kind of fabric stitched underneath the seam of the pocket on any of the inner or outer sides of any pocket. And ANY double arcuate type stitching (SDA and Samurai look nothing like the Levi's arcuate, IMO, other than the fact that it's two arcs) and having a leather patch with ANY (pigs, motorcycles, helicoptors etc...) thing ripping apart a pair of jeans upside down or right side up,

being persecuted by Levi's, then they can go fuck themselves. They can't accept quality homage pieces (that shits on everything they put out except LVC, and even that can be debatable) in the same market as their jeans. I don't think a person buying SDA is thinking he's trying to pass off his pair of jeans as Levis. Gimme a break.

I'm honesty in the 'Man I wish Levi's would step up its game" camp. I would love to support the company if the cheap jeans weren't so shitty and the nice jeans (LVC... and only LVC) weren't so overpriced for what they are. They're decent, but much better stuff out there for a similar price.

you know... i tried on a pair of cheap ass 511s, sized up 3, and the fit was fucking great. in good denim id wear them every day.

i also love my vintage levis stuff...

so no team fuck levis for me.

Yeah but your cheep... So you don't count.

you know... i tried on a pair of cheap ass 511s, sized up 3, and the fit was fucking great. in good denim id wear them every day.

i also love my vintage levis stuff...

so no team fuck levis for me.

again, if levi's brought operations back to the states and made decent non-gaudy cuts, fuck even made the red line better quality than the current shitty premium line, i'd still only buy levi's. The only reason i sought out japanese jeans was because my old 527's were made in mexico, not that the quality was bad or whatever, but because ethically, if you're going to brand yourself this iconic jean, keep SHIT IN AMERICA!

im feeling you on this one. im not mad @levis for suing, because its thier right. ive been saying fuck levis ever since i went to their cheesy flagship store in manhattan, and i asked the dude for selvage 501's, and they were shitty compared to what i had on(sam510xx19oz2.).sorry bastards. they choose to make inferior product, when they could easily affford to. they dont respect the quality that created the nostalgia that they claim to endear, so to make a long story short...FUCK EM!!!(ps. if they amended their ways, i would spend with them. its all a quality/nostalgia issue for me. after all the fonz wore levis, and he's the coolest white guy ever. no offense.)

again, if levi's brought operations back to the states and made decent non-gaudy cuts, fuck even made the red line better quality than the current shitty premium line, i'd still only buy levi's. The only reason i sought out japanese jeans was because my old 527's were made in mexico, not that the quality was bad or whatever, but because ethically, if you're going to brand yourself this iconic jean, keep SHIT IN AMERICA!

for real its not that i hate them for the law suits, i could give a fuck. its just that they have jeans made in fucking mexico. they polute the streets with run off indigo (there was an article about this in the san diego union tribune) they pay low wages and make shitty jeans all for profit. little do they know if they made quality jeans it would all be good. corporate fucking bullshit. i'd love to see their profits slip and shares to go way down.

Gotta respect levi's for being the orignators, however recently I think they've just become too damn greedy due to several reasons:

1. those brands that were sued cause they "copied" levi's probably (an assumption here) make up a very very small percentage of the denim market which wouldn't lessen levi's market share at all. and yet they can't loosen up on a few red tabs and arcruates floating around the marketplace which make up 1.222 percent of the entire market share or something.

2. in correlation to the point above, i think that the levi's branding, much like its market share, cannot be dented cause they're just way too fucking big and way too fucking successful (i mean we're talking about the originators whom throughout history has grown to provide denim product lines for practically EVERYONE from the young to the old, the trendy to the practical). everywhere from k-mart to bloomingdales to vintage and premium lines at levis flagships. and still they must bother about the red tabs and arcruates.

3. in recent years, levi's has concentrated alot on their new product lines which diverge alot from their historical cuts/details, but they still want to prevent competitors from taking a page or two out of their books and produce denim that is similar to their historical cuts. so they're promoting the new product, while eradicating the competition who makes the "old" product, which would limit customers to buying levis only, if they are looking for the "old" product. smart move, but greedy.

good cutthroat business moves for the company, but being so ruthless and anal about it to the minority of the competition gets on my nerves. the suspension of zippangu was just ridiculous. ok im just sore cause i was just about to buy a pair of SDAs from there.

I get the feeling that Levis is taking, but is giving nothing in return. When the story of the Levis lawsuit appeared in the SF Chronicle, I thought, naively, "maybe SelfEdge will now carry Levis, ... maybe a collaboration on a limited edition Self Edge model, ... 14oz. denim, ... natural indigo, ... they could even copy Sugar Cane's old arcuates!"

But, it'd never happen. Levis is like a big huge barge. Even if the command were given to turn the ship, it'd be years before anything meaningful happened. Meanwhile, Iron Heart is doing donuts on Valencia St.

im in, never gonna by another levis, they dont come anywhere close to the quality of my canes and cant even match my nudies

i cant believe they are getting away with this, i am almost certain that the law suit is unlawful (different countries, small changes to trademarks aren't illegal, etc). they just seem to be like the popular kid at school picking on the less popular kid who will submit because they want to be like them

the fact there are levis 'spies' on this board which probably influenced the temporary closure of Zippangu treasures etc etc... not to mention the lawsuits against all the japanese brands

the desinger you speak of, if he is a contributor I'm sure he wouldn't have anything to do with the 'horseshit' and I'm not directing anything at him. BUT there probably are some with affiliation to levis who use this board to find info on brands/stores etc and although unavoidable that shit ain't right....

Could it possibly be that some people that work for Levi's are interested in denim therefore read superdenim? I'm sure there will be people who work for other denim brands on here. Does this make them "spies" too?

What's wrong with using this board to find out info? That is one of its main uses. Who has not used the search button or the encylopidia to find something out? Its a public forum after all....

Is it not the case that they are protecting the brand? A few folk on here have the opinion it is only a few small japanse denim companies that are using the Red Tab and the Arcuate but if they let these companies use them it sets a precedence and then where do you draw the line?

This has happened in the past. Lee jeans copied the Arcuate until 1944 when they had to stop usage due to copyright. This brought about another icon in the way of the Lazy "S".

P.S Somebody else mentioned they hope Levis lose profit and their shares slip. I thought they were a private company so do not have public shares?

so now that this is in the trash....I wish i was a denim spy, I'd have a cool selvedge spy kit filled with all sorts of high tech equipment. pocket knife with a riveter on it and chain stitch sewing machine in my BMW.

Team Fuck Team Fuck Off Levi's!

It's not that I really like any of Levi's current products, but I still hold out hope that they will realize they are one of the few brands capable of producing a good, reasonably priced pair of jeans in the US. That, plus they are the originator; their 501xx is the king. I have no problem with Levi's forcing Japanese brands to avoid parodying their branding.

considering the fact you said you wanted a pair of glitter jeans from dior, i can't say it all surprises me....

All I'm saying is that when people look at me, I want them to say, "That is a man who has sparkles all over his pants." Levis, though? Levis has never even tried to satisfy these dark desires.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm on team "Levis Needs Glitter."

• 4 weeks later...