Sugar Cane's new arcuate plan

Bill2

So I have heard a rumor that Sugar Cane is considering adopting the Union Star back pocket design as their signature arcuate on all their jeans. I think its an awful idea!! What do you guys think??

I know a few other denimtypes who are actually writing sugar cane letters pleading for them not to do this. . .If anybody feels as strongly about it as I do, you might want to do the same thing.

Has anybody else heard about this?

So I have heard a rumor that Sugar Cane is considering adopting the Union Star back pocket design as their signature arcuate on all their jeans. I think its an awful idea!! What do you guys think??

I know a few other denimtypes who are actually writing sugar cane letters pleading for them not to do this. . .If anybody feels as strongly about it as I do, you might want to do the same thing.

Has anybody else heard about this?

im in the this is a terrible idea camp too.

why dont they just do something similiar to the hawais and okinawas pockets? the union star stitching is awful, they might as well stick the huge logo from the 60 inch waist pair on all their jeans if they want to make them less atractive.

Man, i know its not true untill a SuFu'er owns a pair, but damn, this is all kinda sad, first the rumour about the traditional cuts going, now this terrible idea for an acurate. Pshit.

The union star is terrible, I think it would stop me from wearing there jeans in a smarter context.

I really hope this doesnt happen

Im sure sugar cane know what they're doing, I expect there is sound market research behind any change they make, its just our tastes are probably in the minority of denim buyers!

I wouldn't not buy canes if they changed the repro fit, however that union star would really put me off unless I could remove it without a trace.

Egpt - I sized down 2 for my edo ais and the fit is very good, saggy seat when the waist stretched, 8inch hem, not a milion miles away to be honest, and the legs drape in a slimmer sillouette than my sammies and eternals 868.

I can't wait till all of the denimbeasts who buy into the idea of wearing 21 oz denim everyday realize that it's not terribly practical. It may look good on paper, but nothing beats feeling denim in person and trying it on.

my 2 cents

I can't wait till all of the denimbeasts who buy into the idea of wearing 21 oz denim everyday realize that it's not terribly practical. It may look good on paper, but nothing beats feeling denim in person and trying it on.

my 2 cents

This is off topic but what 21 oz denim do you wear and dislike so much or is your idea "on paper" as well?

I have a pair of iron hearts with the old arcurate and they feel like magic. Thankfully I wear them when I feel like wearing them so I don't have to wear them everyday.

whats going on?!?

first the weird ass Oni arcuate now the union star on SugarCanes?!

i used to think quite highly of arcuate on Sugarcanes.

especially the hawaiis and okinawas

leaving them blank is an option but i feel that well designed arcuates are real plus points on jeans.

its like how some people buy imperials and why some people dont buy nudies.

like why some people buy imperials

I had a feeling that this was what Kiya was hinting at when pointing to the Sugar Cane exec's butt.

Maybe Kiya could give us an idea as to who their target market is. If dropping the repro cuts in favour of more modern ones is an effort to reach a larger market, I am not sure that the star design is sexy enough to compete with the more populist brands favoured by Hollywood trendsetter types. I also don't think that the star appeals to their current market that much either - certainly not as much as their older Levi's inspired arcuates (RIP).

Of course one may simply remove any pocket designs. However I think that most people are reluctant to do so after paying the money for their premium denim. It just seems wrong to have to remove an element of the design after paying the prices we do for Japanese denim in North America.

If the star is to be their primary pocket design from here on, then the 40400s were my last pair of Sugar Canes.

whats going on?!?

first the weird ass Oni arcuate now the union star on SugarCanes?!

i used to think quite highly of arcuate on Sugarcanes.

especially the hawaiis and okinawas

leaving them blank is an option but i feel that well designed arcuates are real plus points on jeans.

its like how some people buy imperials and why some people dont buy nudies.

like why some people buy imperials

I agree with the hawaii/okinawa stitching...MUCH better idea...the star is a little too childish imo.....or what little girls dot their i's with.

I agree with others here.

Their existing Okinawa/Hawaii stitching is very nice. I've seen the union stars in Take5 and didn't really like them at all. If the rumors are true, it looks like SC is going from being the standard setter in the repro division to trying to be "hipper than Evisu". That's kind of sad (But may be a good marketing step...)

:-(

Chipopo

Urgh.

If thhey were going to have a star, I'd like to see a thick stiched star round about the size and placement of Skull's 'X' with no other pocket stitching. That would be nice.[/quote

This was my idea as well! I think it would be way better! Or the Hawaii stitching. Even on the Union Stars themselves, I loved everything about them except the back pocket.

no, that star is horrid! wasn't the star initially used because they were making canes for american gi's? maybe it's a settlement from the levi's lawsuit :rolleyes:

maybe it's a settlement from the levi's lawsuit :rolleyes:

Just to give this thread some perspective, as I understand it, Toyo in Japan received a polite request from Levi's sometime in 2006 (possibly via History Preservation) and as a result ceased having any back pocket stiching on their entire line commencing August 2006. No arcs but tabs remained.

This I think is a little known fact because it seems Japanese retailers stocked SC's models so heavily that many purchases long after 08/06 featured both tabs and arcs.

Perhaps now they're yearning for a visual logo to give them some identity. Whatever the case I really cannot understand the sentiment of dissapointment on this thread - perhaps some of us have yet to learn the strangely satisfying virtues of a seam ripper. fwiw as far as I am concerned if the stiching on the back is not an arcuate or a design strongly resembling it then the pockets are best left blank. None of the variations I've seen float my boat at all.

I thought the stars were cool when I saw them at deep sleep a couple weeks ago, but after I tried them on, it looked a little silly and my GF agreed. However, I think that there are people might like it and it would certainly help distinguish SC from other premium denim brands. Branding is getting to be important in this now very competitive market. However, I think the star would look better if it is offset to the side or bottom olike the hawaii or okinawa are.

But yeah if you don't like it, just rip them out, any SC you buy now have no arcuates on the back pocket anyway

i own a pair of union stars and think they look pretty good. diffrent from other arcutes thats for sure. But to have ALL future sugar canes have a star on them i think would be a bad idea. They should come up with something new and different and not too extream.

I also don't like the star.

The union star I can understand, being a repro of an original pair of jeans made back in the day, but having that ugly star on every pair of sugarcanes.....not good.

Also, the fact that SC is dropping their repro cuts is another bad decision. I just hope that buzz rickson will still make the repro cuts.