To all Nudie lovers!

supernudie

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're only being objective. If I had purchased a pair of Nudies when I was starting out because I was unaware of the problems associated with them, I would feel ripped off. I want to make sure that everyone that frequents this board is fully informed by an impartial observer before they do something that they would regret. It's easy to get caught up in the hype before you take the time to guage value and quality.

I think some people need to get off their high horses in this thread, I don't own any Nudies but shoving Japanese denim down peoples throats is pretty annoying. I think it's safe to say, if you post on this board, you pay too much for your jeans. Be it Nudie, Samurai or Dior, it is all overpriced respectively, some more than others, but who cares. The guy isn't telling you to buy Nudies, if he sticks around he will find out about the other denim options. No need to be so blunt, it sounds like you want him to feel bad for liking/owning his jeans.

It all just seems like a bunch of elitist jargon to me. Not that there is anything wrong with attention to detail or a slight obsession with denim quality... but when addressing a general audience it doesn't really make sense to imply that jeans are of inferior quality when they aren't selvage, extra-slubby, 24oz, veggie-indigo, hand-dyed, etc. To me these seem like extra options which the consumer should decide whether they desire or not.

Nudies are easy to find around $130 or less while there are very few quality Japanese brands which sell for less than $225. As I see it, you get what you pay for... Nudie being good quality, Japanese brands being outstanding quality.

i like both, really. I actually like the nudie stitching alot, but i also like to have jeans that are more subtle, depends on what you are wearing them with and whatnot.

Nudies seem to fit really well, and some do seem to get a nice looking fades, despite what some people may say. And, APCs always fade pretty much the same and hell, they only use one denim for all their jeans, and people still seem to like them... id say the APC fade is more instantly recognizable than a nudie fade, actually.

Nudie actually seems to have a larger selection of different dry denims than anyone else, its just that they are spread out over so many different fits and few of them are particularly heavy/rigid/and or selvaged. Considering nudie says they are based around dry denim and making them your own, imo they should ditch the light-weight and stretch denims.

I do think nudie is getting crazy with their different fits and its just dilluting the brand, and the exponential growth/availability of the company does turn alot of us here off (including myself, i admit).

I have only ever seen one person (besides myself) wearing nudies in person, and he had on a pair of dry slim jims and they were definately far the best looking/fitting jeans i have ever seen anyone around here, but then again no one around here that i see wears any sufu type denim brands.

Nudies are easy to find around $130 or less while there are very few quality Japanese brands which sell for less than $225. As I see it, you get what you pay for... Nudie being good quality, Japanese brands being outstanding quality.

+1 i like your standpoint.

i find it interesting that nudies widespread appeal and ownership makes them less appealing to denim fanatics, but there's about 10 pairs of samurais posted on here for every pair of nudies. additionally, there's a fit for everyone...I'm a little to heavy to rock, for example, skull 5010s or something similarly fitted (even my new standards make me look a touch top-heavy), but no jeans i've ever tried on fit quite as perfectly as my slim jims.

and as a few people have made perfectly clear on here, they look fantastic with the back pocket stitching removed if you hate on the branding.

ps. this is in no way a hate on samurais or any other japanese denim...just think nudies are often denied a fair trial

It isn't an attack with elitist jargon. It is jargon, but technical terms are sometimes needed. I would liken the whole thing to music. Something like a pair of Samurais are like TV on the Radio. Very high quality, experimental sound combined with underground cut following. Maybe a pair of Nudies is like Bloc Party. High energy, straight forward and very, very appealing to a wide varity of people. Unfortunately, their music is a little superficial, as is a pair of Nudie jeans. Neither is bad, both are kind of underground, but TVOTR/Samurai definitiely have waaay more depth.

To speak to the Levi/Lee/Wrangler point brought up earlier,

Really widespread and crappy = Fergie (abercrombie, true religion, seven)

Levi's = Bruce Springsteen

On my campus I have seen probably 4 people wearing Nudies, 1 person wearing SDA (which I sold to them), 1 person wearing APC (which i told him to get) and 4 people wearing raw Levi's. I have never seen a pair of Japanese jeans except the ones hanging in my closet.

On my campus I have seen probably 4 people wearing Nudies, 1 person wearing SDA (which I sold to them), 1 person wearing APC (which i told him to get) and 4 people wearing raw Levi's. I have never seen a pair of Japanese jeans except the ones hanging in my closet.

So, including yourself, there are just 11 people on your campus who are wearing jeans that most people on here would consider to be of reasonable quality. And you think that someone will even notice, based on the branding, if you're wearing Samurais versus Nudies?

People should wear what they want to wear and not worry about whether or not too many other people are wearing the brand.I see plenty of Japanese brands that most would rank above Nudie on here that don't really do anything for me, but I don't feel the need to go piss on other people's choices.

So, including yourself, there are just 11 people on your campus who are wearing jeans that most people on here would consider to be of reasonable quality. And you think that someone will even notice, based on the branding, if you're wearing Samurais versus Nudies?

People should wear what they want to wear and not worry about whether or not too many other people are wearing the brand.I see plenty of Japanese brands that most would rank above Nudie on here that don't really do anything for me, but I don't feel the need to go piss on other people's choices.

Well that isn't what I was saying. I was just pointing out, like you said, that nobody here knows anything about raw jeans at all. It's a symantics when you talk about popular vs unpopular dry denim. But within that niche, there is probably a heirarchy of quality, as there is with everything when you look hard enough.

it seems that most of the negative nudie comments refer to their growing popularity, personally ive only seen 3 people wearing nudies since i discovered them 12 months ago so for me they are still rare on the streets, but i can see why it would alter peoples opinions to see them more often on other people (i would probabily have a similiar reaction)

at the moment all my dry jeans are nudies and i think they are great jeans for an introduction into dry denim and dont understand why members should be frowned upon for liking nudies, if they are posting on her then they are into dry denim and are likely to naturaly progress onto higher quality japanese brands

Depth of color and dye job, studiness/weight of denim (crotch rips mentioned above + general inability to stand up to wear and tear), slub/irregularities, tasteful branding, hardware (hidden rivets, fly buttons, twill pockets, ), ability to stand up to a number of washes (instead of... let's say 2), patch.

So is it the cheapest or the most expensive Nudies that break?

Is it in your mind really possible to compare $130 to $250? Are those numbers the same?

The Nudies that break are the entry level models and even then I wouldn't say they are low quality. They're mostly slim cuts and worn tight and low, every day for months and months, of course they break. The denim is also typically more rigid than that of Japanese brands since you soak jap jeans first and thus lose some starch.

I had to repair the crotch on my sd103s after 4 months. The stitching around the front pockets broke within a month on 2 of my Samurais.

The stitching around the front pockets on lilldavid's Sugarcanes broke after 2 days. Same thing happened to his Lee Hair on hides as well, but after some months and not days.

All my Japanese jeans fade faster(at least in the first 3-4 months) than Nudie and APC.

So, I guess Japanese jeans are low quality.

Mind you, this is all your reasoning and your logic.

They all seem to fade exactly the same way, too. There is not nearly enough diversity.

Nudie has MANY different types of denim and they don't fade the same. There is great diversity.

I dont think that I've ever seen a pair of the above brands that were similar. They also have a few different 'types' of denim to choose from (different weights, twills, and materials to choose from).

As does Nudie. Which Japanese brand has a slim cut in broken twill again? Pinstripe denim? Coated denim?

Did Nudies flame denim come before or after the Eternal 21oz?

Nudies have a wider range of cuts and significantly better marketing on their side.

It's becoming apparent that you do not know what Nudie is nor their philosophy.

Nudie does not advertise.

Nudie is not a fashion brand. They obviously have slim cuts that are popular, and that should be positive, not negative.

Your coming of as an elitist with this argument, except you lack the typical knowledge that an elitist usually has.

They also offer faster gratification because of how shallow their dye is.

No. My Japanese jeans fade faster. I agree that the dye is too shallow on the non-selvedge models though.

All of the worn pairs I have seen look like theyve had a knife taken to them, as well.

I've never seen Nudies that looked like someone had taken a knife to them.

I'll also add, on a person note, that the abundance of the Nudies detracts from their appeal.

Yeah, elitism and no substance.

It isn't an attack with elitist jargon. It is jargon, but technical terms are sometimes needed. I would liken the whole thing to music. Something like a pair of Samurais are like TV on the Radio. Very high quality, experimental sound combined with underground cut following. Maybe a pair of Nudies is like Bloc Party. High energy, straight forward and very, very appealing to a wide varity of people. Unfortunately, their music is a little superficial, as is a pair of Nudie jeans. Neither is bad, both are kind of underground, but TVOTR/Samurai definitiely have waaay more depth.

Samurai is my favourite denim brand but I also like Nudie.

I buy Samurai over Nudie every time, but I can recognize that Nudie has a quality product that I would never be ashamed to recommend.

Nudie is not superficial. Nudie loves denim.

Does JayZ wear Nudie or Samurai? Ahhh.

Does Nudie advertise and talk about how Jay Z wears their jeans? No, that was Evisu and Nudie does not advertise at all themselves.

To speak to the Levi/Lee/Wrangler point brought up earlier,

Really widespread and crappy = Fergie (abercrombie, true religion, seven)

Levi's = Bruce Springsteen

What does this even mean?

99,9% of Levi's product is bad in my opinion. I really like their LVC line though and even if it could be better, I recognize that they make a quality product.

Nudie has different products as well.

The Masa is very nice and it is possible that I will buy it. I don't like the skinny cuts Nudie has and the stretch denim used in them, but some of their other jeans are nice.

It's nice to see some new members like brody and pmr sharing their opinion without the elitist attitude of justinbaily and the other people on here that like to check what the consensus of the board is before giving """"their"""" opinion.

It's also great to have a thread without the superfuture village idiots.

This thread is like an oasis of reason and intelligence in the hostile desert that is superfuture.

I hope that Sylvestre, Clopek, pmr, brody, AsherC, jwied82, cromulated, Tenchi, jake431 and some other that contributed to this thread and told us what they thought before asking cheapmotherfucker or kiya if it was OK, will keep posting on this board. Maybe there's hope after all.

I like my pair of RRDS. I prefer the top half cut to pretty much anything else that I own (a collection that includes sugarcane, eternal and imperial). The only thing that really annoys me is the denim. It's nice denim that just doesn't do anything for me. Not like the slub or weave or weight of any of my Japanese jeans. If someone did a collab with the RRDS cut and japanese denim, I would be on it like stink on shit. :D

And yes, I've been eyeing the Masa. I guess I want to see some fit picks first...

I was also speaking more to their site and 'community' than traditional ads. Also, their much more "visible" branding by people who wear them. I am not trying to insult Nudie in a malicious way- they have every right to adertise and do whatever they want. I am just offering my impartial observations and opinions for people to accept or reject as they like. The problem you run into is the forums at 'mynudies' etc with people who lack a range of knowledge about other products. Im comparing them based on what I perceive as 'value.' Value can have a lot of different meaning to a lot of differnet people.

We all know that people on SuFu were fiending for Nudies back in the day...then lo and behold someone started talking about Japanese denim...was it Serge?

Buy what you like. Seriously only losers like us actually care about this stuff. The billions of other people on this planet don't really give a shit.

ya i'm sure nudie is like the gateway object as is weed to any other drugs.

Well put. Nudies are a gateway drug. I started off a year and a half ago with a pair of BBDS after seeing my cousin's RRDS. I only recent busted out the crotch on them, much to my dismay. But since buyin my nudies, it's opened my eyes to the rest of the high end raw denim world, a stepping stone. The (relative) ease in finding nudies makes it such that once you go for that second pair, you've been talking and researching enough that you know what fits you like, what's likely TO fit and whom to order it from. I've since moved on to Kicking Mules and a pair of 5EPs, but I'm fucking proud of my nudies. I worked hard in those jeans and they were my first pair of raw denim. I've got no ill will towards anybody who wants to start off with a pair. I'm sure they'll catch the bug and move onto something harder later.

wow.. so much hate on nudies.. its all up to the beholder.. if one person feels comfortable spending his/her 150-300 on nudies because they feel and fit better than other less expensive or better quality jeans than it's his/her decision to choose so. once again this ends with WEAR WHAT YOU WANT TO WEAR..

wow.. so much hate on nudies.. its all up to the beholder.. if one person feels comfortable spending his/her 150-300 on nudies because they feel and fit better than other less expensive or better quality jeans than it's his/her decision to choose so. once again this ends with WEAR WHAT YOU WANT TO WEAR..

ditto. some of you guys here sound like elitist douchebags.