NBA Basketball

hamham3001

triple ot!! shit, what a good game. didn't think mem had a shot after mayo and conley fouling out. westbrook had a decent look at the end of the second over time. durant should have drove inside and passed out if double teamed at the end of the 1st over time.

well, onto the 3rd overtime. who knows, maybe we'll see a 4th overtime. kinda hoping okc wins to drag out the series even longer. dallas needs their rest :)

someone should tell westbrook that the league's leading scorer is on his team

KD getting no fucking touches last couple mins smh.
i want westbrook to foul out so he cant shoot anymore
durant should have drove inside and passed out if double teamed at the end of the 1st over time.

durantula needs the rock.

Man these OKC games are fun to watch, but at the same difficult with the power struggle between Durant and Westbrook. Like someone else said, it's like having Goku and Vegeta on the same team.

I was surprised by how many points westbrook had until I saw how many FG attempts he tried for. durants shooting reminds me of dirk nowitzki give him a few more years and he'll be one of the greatest

fixed it for you

Man these OKC games are fun to watch, but at the same difficult with the power struggle between Durant and Westbrook. Like someone else said, it's like having Goku and Vegeta on the same team.

Hard to watch: yes.

but not a hard decision at all. Westbrook needs to be a point guard and distribute the damn ball.

It honestly boggles my mind when he just grabs a rebound, runs the floor and goes up for a contested/off balance/lean in piece of shit shot without even looking to see if anyone else is open, let alone Durant.

Westbrook's a fool, who happens to make big shots, which only makes him more foolish.

in defense of westbrook, i will say that he is only 22 years old and hes improved so much

now ill let hollinger do the rest (via insider)

For Westbrook, it's a more complicated debate. He can create his own shot at any time and generally can create pretty decent ones. Although he's not a great outside shooter, at the end of the shot clock, his ability to rise up and reliability get a clean look is valuable.

The "complicated" part comes because he plays with the league's most potent scoring weapon in Kevin Durant. Westbrook's Usage Rate was higher than Durant's this season, which on the face of it appears ridiculous, because Durant was so vastly more efficient with his shots. Durant's TS% was 58.9, while Westbrook's was just 53.8, a shade below the league average of 54.1.

Additionally, there's the undeniable fact that Westbrook's decisions are often less than optimal. This has become particularly apparent in two of the Thunder's three playoff losses -- a close loss in Denver in Game 4 of the first round, and the overtime loss to Memphis in Game 3. In both instances, Westbrook's imperfect instincts at the point guard position led to some questionable shot-pass decisions.

And this is where the Thunder's basketball people all chime in and say: Whoa. Wait a minute.

Westbrook is 22. He had hardly played point guard before coming to the NBA. He is not a natural at the spot by any means but, compared to where he was two years ago, he's improved his decisions by leaps and bounds. And -- especially when James Harden isn't in the game -- he has to make virtually every decision on every trip. As Thunder coach Scott Brooks pointed out after Tuesday night's game, the point guard and the coach become magnets for criticism when the offense fails, and that's particularly true when so much of it is in Westbrook's hands.

Another aspect that gets far too little attention, and has really become apparent to me in the two rounds I've spent covering the Thunder in these playoffs, is how frequently plays called for Durant break down. In those situations, Westbrook is basically forced to improvise a shot -- sometimes a poor one -- because he's often the only other Oklahoma City player on the floor who can reliably generate a halfway-decent look.

Despite all that, there's an unquestionable tension in his game, a fight between the yin of aggressively using his athleticism to take over the games and the yang of getting the rock to Durant. I've seen him try to take over games that Durant had already taken over. I've also seen him tilt too far the other way (though admittedly less often), and ignore a promising matchup because he's trying so hard to be a "true" point guard.

Either way, he can't win. Not unless Durant takes 65 shots and Westbrook plays like assistant coach Mo Cheeks, which has no chance of ever happening.

But because he controls so much of the action, he can be the driving force behind victory, as he was in Game 4 (check out the superb baseline drive-and-kick for a Harden 3 at the end of the second overtime; Westbrook scored or assisted on all 10 Oklahoma City points in that stanza), or a major impediment to it, as he was at the end of Game 3.