NBA Basketball

hamham3001

if the lakers lose tonight, i'm walking by staples center after the game w/ my hornets gear. maybe i'll be running.

thanks to all the nba announcers/commentators etc... for not referring to ray allen as jesus shuttlesworth anymore. please keep it up.

wait wait wait: the double tech was because tyson tossed an elbow at lamarcus after the play had ended and clipped him in the face...

not saying it should've been a tech, but chandler does that whole "body somebody up, give the extra shove, then walk away with my hands up grinning like a fool" and be surprised when the other team takes exception.

and like you said, "at least one" of those calls on gerald was junk, which just shows how important that one call can be... the blazers were definitely looking like they were in control when he had to sit.

(ahhh, what might have been. etc etc)

Chandler definitely plays up the hands-up-walk-away thing, but that contact between him and aldridge seemed pretty minimal/incidental from what I remembered...nothing that warranted aldridge blatantly shoving him, and certainly nothing that warranted anything but a tech on aldridge. All things considered, Chandler's done a great job taking bad calls against him in stride.

No one was in control of that game until the second half.

Also, the blazers look real dumb for making a big deal out of this:

DmYS-Bdj12U

Don't press if you don't want to get picked. And call out a damn pick...Cardinal was standing in the same place for like 2 seconds. Should be crying at his teammates.

"I wasn't trying to hurt him, just playing hard, smart basketball. That's what they were doing," Cardinal said. "I'm just kind of surprised that they're so mad about it. They picked up J.J. full-court and they're going to double team him and they're playing hard, they're playing aggressive, you know, just like I am. They say there was no time on the clock or the game's over, but yet they're going to play hard, full court and press?"

Blazers guard Wesley Matthews said he won't forget it.

"I know it's the playoffs and everything, but come on," Matthews told The Oregonian. "With four seconds left in the game? But that's cool. I'm not going to forget it, that's for sure."

Cardinal was asked if he thought the crowd at the Rose Garden for Game 6 might not forget it either.

"Oh, no. Shoot, no," Cardinal said. "You know, it doesn't matter to me. I've played a total of what two minutes this series? If they're worried about me and my screens ..."

Cardinal didn't finish the sentence, unlike his game-ending screen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6431724&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

that is super lame, but tbh I actually hadn't even heard any Blazers fans bitching about that until I read the espn/dallas column about it. And while I completely agree that the pick was fine and patty should shut the fuck up, the logic of that column was beyond stupid. to quote him:

Let me offer a pair of suggestions if Mills doesn’t want to be flattened by a pick on the final possession of the game. First, he could opt not to play full-court, in-your-face defense on J.J. Barea during garbage time. Second, you can kindly request that somebody from “the rest of the family” inform you that a pick has been set.

then in the next breath he says:

Cardinal watched his teammates blow a 23-point lead the previous game after they started coasting 13 minutes too early. How can you criticize him for playing hard until the final buzzer sounds?

how the fuck do you reconcile those things? Of course Cardinal's pick was legit, they were both playing hard. It's pretty fucking obnoxious to suggest that Mills should've given up but Cardinal should be praised for playing hard until the buzzer.

(his second suggestion, that someone call out the pick, is a good one ... obviously)

but the truth is, I don't give a fuck about that play, I'm just glad McMillan got most of the starters out before someone more important got blindsided.

And hey, if Wesley wants to get fired up, more power to him. It can only help his game...

edit: also Scalabreezy is the best bench white dude, ever.

Yeah, the article is whatever...the situation is just funny and annoying. But they are just trying to get fired up, like you said. Just would be nice for Portland if they didn't choose such a dumb thing to get all riled up about. And Cardinal won't hesitate to put someone down...so I'm not sure that the blazers "remembering it" will go real well if he actually sees any minutes in game 6 (unlikely) lol.

Mills is really annoying all-around, though. He looks like a hype-man/mascot when he gets up and sprints out to mid court to high-five people whenever anyone calls a timeout.