Jeans Tailoring in Melbourne, AU

Klangspiel

I got my dukes tapered by Rebecca at Chronic Fix in Greville street. She did a good job, she knows the detils of how garments are constructed (as any good tailor should), and picky about detail. Charged $25 I think. Would recommend.

Otherwise, go to the clothes/jean shops and ask them who they recommend - try nudie, G-star, smaller boutiques, whatever.

EDIT - hey chapital. fuck man I gotta stop coming to this site....I've sold the eternals, gunna order some skulls this week i think. wooooop

I've had jeans tapered at a few tailors, none that were that above and beyond, but I was happy with the results.

Had some done at a place in St Kila, on Barkly Street, I can't remember the name of it though, also one place in the city on collins street and exihibition.

Best thing I have found is just to be very specific about what you want done and how you want it done, and if they cant do it, take them somewhere else.

around $30 seems standard

Definitely agree with tyro - be as specific as possible. tell them exactly what you want done to the centimetre, and tell them how you want them to do it (IE -'from the fucking inseam', etc). The more specific you are the less likely it is that something will get lost in translation and they don't do what you want.

Definitely agree with tyro - be as specific as possible. tell them exactly what you want done to the centimetre, and tell them how you want them to do it (IE -'from the fucking inseam', etc). The more specific you are the less likely it is that something will get lost in translation and they don't do what you want.

Yeah, like the time I sent my jeans in to be tapered, specifically asking them to take it in from the inseam. So what do they do? They CUT OFF THE FUCKING SELVAGE!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry about that. It still steams me up remembering it. Luckily it was just a pair of baggy blue bloods I picked up on ebay for (not so) cheap, but wasn't wearing because I didn't like the cut. Well, at least it looks nicer worn now...

Hey, does anyone know a good tailor out Sydney way? Don't want to get burnt twice.

I didn't know something that absurd could actually happen. That's like cutting off water supply for stronger electricity current, maybe not a good comparison, but u get my drift.

I've practically given up finding tailors that do chainstitching in Sydney. And after hearing about your misfortune, I'm never altering my jeans ever.

I just dropped my pair of regular ralphs to a local tailor to get them tailored. I'll post up pics when i get them back on Friday. On a side note i did repeat to the guy that i want them taken in from the inseam 3 times, hopefully that was enough to get the message across. I'm more worried about how the inseam will turn out. He showed me the thread he was going to use and it was alot thinner than the ones used in nudies. If it turns out anything like that other guy who recently did it to his i will be happy.

I didn't know something that absurd could actually happen. That's like cutting off water supply for stronger electricity current, maybe not a good comparison, but u get my drift.

I've practically given up finding tailors that do chainstitching in Sydney. And after hearing about your misfortune, I'm never altering my jeans ever.

I think the guy at Another can hem with a chainstich. He has his own Union sewing machine. But I don't know if he only does that as a service for Imperial jeans, or if he'd do it for any other jeans for a fee.

I'm scared as hell sending any of my other jeans out now. And I want to to get my sexihos adjusted in the future... I might go buy a cheap ass pair of baggy levis, take it to that Vlada mob and see what they can do for me, before I commit my AUD$475 jeans to them.

I'm not sure if richie does do that for other jeans, he usually just does it for imperials for free.

To ensure your selvage stays intact get them to pin the denim on the inseam while you are wearing the jeans. This way you can see what they will look like and there is no way they will fuck up your denims.

I posted this comment when I got my imperials done in another thread.

THe tailor folded the inseam flush against the double inseam stitching (on the inside of course) and the sewed in down to taper the jeans. THis way your jeans get tapered and they dont even cut the denim, so it would technically be reversable if you were unhappy with the product. It also looks completelty factory done too.

chainstitch also uses two threads. As the name suggests, it looks like a "chain". Usually, it'll produce a "rope effect" at your hem.

[correct me if i'm wrong]

IIRC, there are variations of chainstitch. Not sure whether lockstitch falls under that category.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

bumping up, any good tailors near doncaster? any new ones in the new westfield shoppingtown?

Or how about any good ones in the city?

Final question, what's the difference between chainstitch and lockstitching? I have a pair of imperial shearers which i want to alter but i have nfi what to ask for.

EDIT* What do i ask for if my Imperials make my my ass look big (how cliche)? Are they able to maybe clip the mid section to make it smaller?

• 4 months later...